Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
If we are talking about Steve "Sarge" Vickers, he was the second line winger who had multiple 20 goal seasons over a ten year Ranger career. He was tough for sure but to be fair, I can't envision Lias as another Sarge. I'd rather have Lemieux in that role.
Nemchinov was the Sarge I was thinking of.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
We've been hearing about Andersson's toughness but I really haven't seen even a hint of it in his (albeit short) NHL tenure. Had he shown more fight, more pushback, id be much more optimistic.

maybe because he was playing in Sweden and scouts thought that was tough, maybe he was tough for the SEL but not NHL AHL Pro Hockey. very soft

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
maybe because he was playing in Sweden and scouts thought that was tough, maybe he was tough for the SEL but not NHL AHL Pro Hockey. very soft
LOL come on, they're professional scouts, they understand the differences between the leagues. Their Euro scouts, Mikko Eloranta played multiple seasons in the NHL and also abroad (not sure if he was here when that pick was made). Patric Kjellberg is an NHL vet. Oto Hascak played in the top levels in Sweden and all over the world. Lutchenko played for the Red Army teams for like two decades and has been a scout for 15 years. No different for the pro scouts like Konowalchuk and Eminger and amateur scouts like Beukeboom. The director of European scouting Nick Bobrov maybe didn't play, but has been doing the job for 15 years, here and in other successful organizations like the Kings and the Bruins.

Sometimes guys change their games either consciously or subconsciously as they move through levels. I remember when a lot of people were freaking out when JT Miller would come up and do nothing. I kept saying, give it time, he's not playing his game. He plays differently in the AHL and when he gets comfortable in the NHL he'll look better. I don't love Miller but it was true. Sometimes guys play differently when they're not comfortable.

Andersson in Sweden and in the WJC and even in the AHL when he first came over looked like a pest. He wasn't decking people but was always in it after the whistle or doing annoying things like grinding elbows into ribs. He had a bit of an edge to him. Now, the kid obviously has a whole bunch of issues, so it's not really surprising that what we saw most of the year was not what had been seen before. It definitely wasn't because the scouts are idiots.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
LOL come on, they're professional scouts, they understand the differences between the leagues. Their Euro scouts, Mikko Eloranta played multiple seasons in the NHL and also abroad (not sure if he was here when that pick was made). Patric Kjellberg is an NHL vet. Oto Hascak played in the top levels in Sweden and all over the world. Lutchenko played for the Red Army teams for like two decades and has been a scout for 15 years. No different for the pro scouts like Konowalchuk and Eminger and amateur scouts like Beukeboom. The director of European scouting Nick Bobrov maybe didn't play, but has been doing the job for 15 years, here and in other successful organizations like the Kings and the Bruins.

Sometimes guys change their games either consciously or subconsciously as they move through levels. I remember when a lot of people were freaking out when JT Miller would come up and do nothing. I kept saying, give it time, he's not playing his game. He plays differently in the AHL and when he gets comfortable in the NHL he'll look better. I don't love Miller but it was true. Sometimes guys play differently when they're not comfortable.

Andersson in Sweden and in the WJC and even in the AHL when he first came over looked like a pest. He wasn't decking people but was always in it after the whistle or doing annoying things like grinding elbows into ribs. He had a bit of an edge to him. Now, the kid obviously has a whole bunch of issues, so it's not really surprising that what we saw most of the year was not what had been seen before. It definitely wasn't because the scouts are idiots.
Hope her can regain that eye of the tiger. Would be a perfect fit, actually, as a 3C.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hope her can regain that eye of the tiger. Would be a perfect fit, actually, as a 3C.
I have my doubts about whether his game will come together for us or even in the NHL, but if it did, it would be as a great 3C who could be deployed in all situations. I worry more about where his head is at, than his ability level, which really sucks.

Reactions: egelband

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

There's definitely guys that will elevate their game the better players they play with as well. I think we'll see that with Kravstov. And clearly the roles play a big part, the role Andersson had played his career prior is certainly not the role he was asked to play getting 10 minutes a night

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yay. Another debate about our scouts :laugh:

Great point in the first paragraph although I am afraid it falls on deaf ears

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There's definitely guys that will elevate their game the better players they play with as well. I think we'll see that with Kravstov. And clearly the roles play a big part, the role Andersson had played his career prior is certainly not the role he was asked to play getting 10 minutes a night
I totally agree that role is key. But more in the case of a one-dimensional scorer. Those guys just can't cut it in the bottom six. Like Lettieri. I think he would actually score a bundle of goals cleaning up for our big scorers. But he just sucks in the bottom six.
But a guy like Lias, who's bread and butter is apparently grinding and a good all-around game... He shouldn't have such a problem getting ten minutes in the Rangers bottom six. In fact, I would have expected him to be a 'land and expand' type. Ten minutes... 12 minutes...15 minutes... Just my opinion.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I can see the speed of the game and the tightness of his surroundings to be a question mark in the NHL at this time. I would have to assign him to Hartford and let him advance at his own pace. That light bulb will eventually come on and he will then become teachable.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I totally agree that role is key. But more in the case of a one-dimensional scorer. Those guys just can't cut it in the bottom six. Like Lettieri. I think he would actually score a bundle of goals cleaning up for our big scorers. But he just sucks in the bottom six.
But a guy like Lias, who's bread and butter is apparently grinding and a good all-around game... He shouldn't have such a problem getting ten minutes in the Rangers bottom six. In fact, I would have expected him to be a 'land and expand' type. Ten minutes... 12 minutes...15 minutes... Just my opinion.

Makes me curious of how an eventual 3rd line line of Kreider-Andersson-Gauthier would play together.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Every year we have a new class of rookies here on HFNYR who have the same writing style, lack of avatars and bad takes. It's fascinating
It's almost like it's an obvious, consistent pattern, and maybe we're all better suited just ignoring these posters? Getting easy dunks on whatever reiteration of wenevergetagoodpost, tradenashnow, nopuckluck, or turgepurge is cycling through the forum doesn't add anything to the discussion when all they do is bitch and moan about size/grit and not drafting Euro skaters.

its josh

May 13, 2020
I can see the speed of the game and the tightness of his surroundings to be a question mark in the NHL at this time. I would have to assign him to Hartford and let him advance at his own pace. That light bulb will eventually come on and he will then become teachable.
His biggest issue at the NHL level is over-thinking everything. Whether that's a personal mental block, coaching, putting too high expectations on himself...

Every time he has the puck, or the puck/player is coming near him, you can literally see him stop and think about what he should do. That leaves you 2, 3 steps behind on every play - and he doesnt have the burners to catch up. He looked better during preseason, when he was away from the team and coaches for the offseason. When he was around the team/coaching staff more, he went back to the same, hesitant player. He's so tight when wearing a Rangers jersey, he makes himself a detriment on most shifts. But its a very fixable problem, hopefully. It's going to take maturity, time, and ice time - whether in the NHL or in Sweden. (I think we know the AHL route is not going to work for either side, at time point)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Has there been any word on if he's coming back for the playoff?

Nothing yet, aside from the Rangers telling him and all players in Hartford to make sure they are ready to go in case they get called up.

But I doubt we see full roster practice soon

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
His biggest issue at the NHL level is over-thinking everything. Whether that's a personal mental block, coaching, putting too high expectations on himself...

Every time he has the puck, or the puck/player is coming near him, you can literally see him stop and think about what he should do. That leaves you 2, 3 steps behind on every play - and he doesnt have the burners to catch up. He looked better during preseason, when he was away from the team and coaches for the offseason. When he was around the team/coaching staff more, he went back to the same, hesitant player. He's so tight when wearing a Rangers jersey, he makes himself a detriment on most shifts. But its a very fixable problem, hopefully. It's going to take maturity, time, and ice time - whether in the NHL or in Sweden. (I think we know the AHL route is not going to work for either side, at time point)

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
(I think we know the AHL route is not going to work for either side, at time point)

While I agree with everything you pointed out in regards to his play, I don't see where playing at home and the bigger ice surface is of any benefit. I just feel that his thought process has to be ratcheted up a few notches because of the tight environment that a smaller rink produces. He has decent size but in the NHL it's a dime a dozen size compared to his home and he needs to be able to learn to compete in that environment. I can see third line and at best second line potential in scoring down low but his mind set needs to be established. He is still a kid that needs to grow into the NHL, not forced into it.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
JD should talk him into going to the ECHL for a stint. Let him go down there and dominate while adjusting to small ice. For how he’s produced in the SHL and his pedigree, he should be able to be a standout in the ECHL. Get his confidence high while still adjusting to smaller ice. Explain to him the thought process is just that, we want you to adjust to the small ice and still be able to play your game. Go out there and crush it and then bring the exact same game to Hartford for a bit. Show us that you can bring your SHL game to the NA rink. It would be an unorthodox but clever way of getting him adapted without pressure.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
JD should talk him into going to the ECHL for a stint. Let him go down there and dominate while adjusting to small ice. For how he’s produced in the SHL and his pedigree, he should be able to be a standout in the ECHL. Get his confidence high while still adjusting to smaller ice. Explain to him the thought process is just that, we want you to adjust to the small ice and still be able to play your game. Go out there and crush it and then bring the exact same game to Hartford for a bit. Show us that you can bring your SHL game to the NA rink. It would be an unorthodox but clever way of getting him adapted without pressure.
in hockey, i don't know about sending him to AA
the coaches aren't Rangers-affiliated
In baseball ( under today's system, but which is being re-evaluated) the multi-level farm systems are staffed at all levels by the major league club

despite the unsettled '19-20, if not in NY, Lias should be with coach KK in Hartford

Gorton could help this in multiple ways, if he'd send Howden to AHL for the the first big chunk of next season,
'forcing'Quinn to focus on Lias.
I believe NYR wouldn't be in this position if Quinn gave Lias almost as much attention, ice and leeway as he continually gave Howden.
I am not down on Howden, but i think it would help him lots to play top 6, all situation minutes in AHL
... Lias too

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
in hockey, i don't know about sending him to AA
the coaches aren't Rangers-affiliated
In baseball ( under today's system, but which is being re-evaluated) the multi-level farm systems are staffed at all levels by the major league club

despite the unsettled '19-20, if not in NY, Lias should be with coach KK in Hartford

Gorton could help this in multiple ways, if he'd send Howden to AHL for the the first bug chunk of next season,
'forcing'Quinn to focus on Lias.
I believe NYR wouldn't be in this position if Quinn gave Lias almost as much attention, ice and leeway as he continually gave Howden.
I am not down on Howden, but i think it would help him lots to play top 6, all situation minutes in AHL
... Lias too
There’s virtually no upside to sending Lias to play in the ECHL.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They're having a hard enough time getting him to report to the AHL. Forget the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad