Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean I'm tired of reading all the dumb-shit interviews he/his dad/his agent/whoever give and am also tired of speculating about him, but he's still a big story as his future has a potentially significant impact on the organization. It's a f***ing tired story but one that's still important.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I mean I'm tired of reading all the dumb-shit interviews he/his dad/his agent/whoever give and am also tired of speculating about him, but he's still a big story as his future has a potentially significant impact on the organization. It's a f***ing tired story but one that's still important.

I agree. And it this point it's doing more harm than good.

If Lias wants to come back, he needs to get right with the organization and, most importantly, his teammates. Do that, work your ass off and the fans will come around.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm hopeful this can be fixed...I dont see is getting any value out of a trade for him, the possibility of playing in meaningful games this year might be a big step in repairing it for both sides. Jmo

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
“It was exciting for us to see how well he played when he did go home,” Drury said. “We are in constant contact with him. And he is our prospect. He’s only 21. He has a ton of experience internationally, SHL, American Hockey League and NHL. We’re not sitting here looking to give up on him. We’re still doing all we can to try and help him be the player he wants to be and we want him to be.”

“JD’s theme with him and all of our players is they’re our players until they’re not, and we have a responsibility to the organization and to the players, no matter who they are, to help them get better throughout ups and downs. Lias is no different. We’d love to see him reach his potential and be a valuable and productive member of the organization for years to come. We’re going to keep trying to do that for him and with him as long as he’s our player.”

Organizationally, this is absolutely the right approach

Evaluating the growth of the young Rangers who've graduated...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
“It was exciting for us to see how well he played when he did go home,” Drury said. “We are in constant contact with him. And he is our prospect. He’s only 21. He has a ton of experience internationally, SHL, American Hockey League and NHL. We’re not sitting here looking to give up on him. We’re still doing all we can to try and help him be the player he wants to be and we want him to be.”

“JD’s theme with him and all of our players is they’re our players until they’re not, and we have a responsibility to the organization and to the players, no matter who they are, to help them get better throughout ups and downs. Lias is no different. We’d love to see him reach his potential and be a valuable and productive member of the organization for years to come. We’re going to keep trying to do that for him and with him as long as he’s our player.”

This is the only right approach. Happy to see this

Reactions: LokiDog

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

The best outcome is if he reaches his potential in New York

Reactions: UnSandvich

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
A frustrating thing with Brooks is he sometimes phrases his scoops as "what if..." and his speculations as scoops, so it's very tough to know if he knows something or not.
I have a theory about "his so called scoops" If he starts the article with a "what if" then it will almost appear to the reader, that it was "his idea". That's my take.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I cannot ever envision a scenario where I become a Lias Andersson fan, I simply cannot. Of course people deserve second and maybe even third chances and Lias can score the game-winning goal in the seventh game of the Stanley Cup for the Rangers and of course I would be ecstatic, but that will not instantaneously make me a fan of Lias.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I cannot ever envision a scenario where I become a Lias Andersson fan, I simply cannot. Of course people deserve second and maybe even third chances and Lias can score the game-winning goal in the seventh game of the Stanley Cup for the Rangers and of course I would be ecstatic, but that will not instantaneously make me a fan of Lias.

Everyone gets caught up in the act and forget about just how young he is. There are things I did in my late teens and early 20s that make me cringe now, those things didnt define me, but I learned from it and became better for it. He is young enough you have to take a chance on him becoming a better person and player, kids mature at different rates. I think he got caught up in the fact he was so successful before coming to NY, got drafted in the first round and assumed he was the rangers 2nd line center without realizing how much better the NHL is than SHL. We won't get value from him unless we work with him to get this right. I just hope he worked on his foot speed and relaxes a bit this time around, what I saw the first time around was a kid trying too hard and missing his spots.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Everyone gets caught up in the act and forget about just how young he is. There are things I did in my late teens and early 20s that make me cringe now, those things didnt define me, but I learned from it and became better for it. He is young enough you have to take a chance on him becoming a better person and player, kids mature at different rates. I think he got caught up in the fact he was so successful before coming to NY, got drafted in the first round and assumed he was the rangers 2nd line center without realizing how much better the NHL is than SHL. We won't get value from him unless we work with him to get this right. I just hope he worked on his foot speed and relaxes a bit this time around, what I saw the first time around was a kid trying too hard and missing his spots.
I only partially buy the youth angle. Yeah, he's young, kids do dumb things. No doubt. But he's a professional athlete, he was playing games in HV71's organization since he was 15, started playing SHL games at 17. I think there's an implicit expectation with professional athletes that they be more mature than the average person their age.

If professional athletes aged 17-22 or whatever acted like "normal" kids aged 17-22, half of them would be suspended or kicked out of their league. They're forced to grow up and mature faster than kids that don't have contracts to play sports for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. Of course guys mess up, and not everyone can just "be more mature" because they're an athlete--I don't mean to imply that. I just don't think "youth" justifies immature decisions for athletes to the same extent it does for your average young adult.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I only partially buy the youth angle. Yeah, he's young, kids do dumb things. No doubt. But he's a professional athlete, he was playing games in HV71's organization since he was 15, started playing SHL games at 17. I think there's an implicit expectation with professional athletes that they be more mature than the average person their age.

If professional athletes aged 17-22 or whatever acted like "normal" kids aged 17-22, half of them would be suspended or kicked out of their league. They're forced to grow up and mature faster than kids that don't have contracts to play sports for hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. Of course guys mess up, and not everyone can just "be more mature" because they're an athlete--I don't mean to imply that. I just don't think "youth" justifies immature decisions for athletes to the same extent it does for your average young adult.

Tony DeAngelo looks pretty good now after a rocky start in his younger days, I wouldn't throw Anderson under the bus yet.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tony DeAngelo looks pretty good now after a rocky start in his younger days, I wouldn't throw Anderson under the bus yet.
I am in no way throwing him under the bus.

I'm just saying, there are different expectations regarding maturity for young professional athletes than for random kids, so I'm not usually moved by the "well I did dumb shit when I was 20" arguments. I personally did a lot of dumb shit at his age, but I was just some stoned teenager in the suburbs working at Blockbuster, going to community college.

Different people in different positions of influence, power, or responsibility are held to different standards. I consider the youth of a player like Lias in how I view the situation, but I don't give him a pass for being young and dumb like "average" kids.

I never wrote off DeAngelo, either, so I don't know what he has to do with anything.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I am in no way throwing him under the bus.

I'm just saying, there are different expectations regarding maturity for young professional athletes than for random kids, so I'm not usually moved by the "well I did dumb shit when I was 20" arguments. I personally did a lot of dumb shit at his age, but I was just some stoned teenager in the suburbs working at Blockbuster, going to community college.

Different people in different positions of influence, power, or responsibility are held to different standards. I consider the youth of a player like Lias in how I view the situation, but I don't give him a pass for being young and dumb like "average" kids.

I never wrote off DeAngelo, either, so I don't know what he has to do with anything.

I was using my experience as an example, did a lot of stuff that probably should have put a road block in my hockey career but because social media was basically non existent then and I wasn't a big star it didn't stop me from going as far as I could with the skill I had. Just because you are a pro athlete doesn't mean you mature quicker, guys like Sid and Toews did for sure, others don't, what I'm saying is you can't paint a broad stroke and say all athletes shouldn't miss step because that's not possible. The DeAngelo comment was because he had side tracked his career so much that we are his third stop before he was 24, I'm sure Tampa and Arizona would like to have turned him into what he is today instead of moving him. Patrick Kane is the model player now, he made some mistakes as well but he matured. Lias made a mistake, he was young, his age matters, if he did this at 26 I'd be concerned, I'm not concerned at all if he can learn from it.

Reactions: Kendo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I was using my experience as an example, did a lot of stuff that probably should have put a road block in my hockey career but because social media was basically non existent then and I wasn't a big star it didn't stop me from going as far as I could with the skill I had. Just because you are a pro athlete doesn't mean you mature quicker, guys like Sid and Toews did for sure, others don't, what I'm saying is you can't paint a broad stroke and say all athletes shouldn't miss step because that's not possible. The DeAngelo comment was because he had side tracked his career so much that we are his third stop before he was 24, I'm sure Tampa and Arizona would like to have turned him into what he is today instead of moving him. Patrick Kane is the model player now, he made some mistakes as well but he matured. Lias made a mistake, he was young, his age matters, if he did this at 26 I'd be concerned, I'm not concerned at all if he can learn from it.
I specifically said that I wasn't of the opinion that everyone could just be "more mature" because they were an athlete. That's obviously unrealistic.

As for the last part, I don't think many/any people will be concerned if Andersson can turn it around. But, I don't give him a pass because he's young. There are countless guys with NHL talent that never made it because they were immature and the effects of that torpedoed their careers. So even if they're just youthful mistakes, they're still reason for concern. Particularly given the severity of this situation--it's one thing to party too hard or not take practice seriously or just be a douche, but the guy quit on his team and wouldn't even communicate directly with the team after he did. That's some serious shit at 19 or 29.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The DeAngelo comment was because he had side tracked his career so much that we are his third stop before he was 24, I'm sure Tampa and Arizona would like to have turned him into what he is today instead of moving him. Patrick Kane is the model player now, he made some mistakes as well but he matured. Lias made a mistake, he was young, his age matters, if he did this at 26 I'd be concerned, I'm not concerned at all if he can learn from it.

I think that with the trade for the pick in the first place, the medal throw, a terrible 18-19 with limited ice time and limited linemates, the cable trip on opening night, whatever the heck this season was, and the ensuing end of the world...this could all be the precursor to an awesome story "if he can learn from it."

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I specifically said that I wasn't of the opinion that everyone could just be "more mature" because they were an athlete. That's obviously unrealistic.

As for the last part, I don't think many/any people will be concerned if Andersson can turn it around. But, I don't give him a pass because he's young. There are countless guys with NHL talent that never made it because they were immature and the effects of that torpedoed their careers. So even if they're just youthful mistakes, they're still reason for concern. Particularly given the severity of this situation--it's one thing to party too hard or not take practice seriously or just be a douche, but the guy quit on his team and wouldn't even communicate directly with the team after he did. That's some serious shit at 19 or 29.

It will only be a concern if it continues to happen and he hasn't learned from his mistakes in the next couple years, not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad