Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
But we would probably make sure to include it as a strike against him.

And deservedly should be. We expected him to do well in the SHL as he has before and he is doing so. That's good as at least it shows you he can still perform in a lesser league but I wouldn't take much from it with regards to his future in the NHL. If we expected him to do well in the SHL and suddenly he couldn't score there...well that would definitely be a major red flag.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And deservedly should be. We expected him to do well in the SHL as he has before and he is doing so. That's good as at least it shows you he can still perform in a lesser league but I wouldn't take much from it with regards to his future in the NHL. If we expected him to do well in the SHL and suddenly he couldn't score there...well that would definitely be a major red flag.

I do feel there is a difference between "doing well" vs. "play in the upper tier for his age range as a teenager, and now as a 21 year old." Because I don't think those are necessarily one in the same.

But, generally speaking, the players who do what he's done in the SHL, AHL in the 18-21 range, typically have NHL careers. Whether it's with the Rangers is another matter.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You'd hope the team and Lias would be willing to let the past be the past after this summer and hopefully his play in the SHL convinces the org that he has upside beyond being a PKer/bottom-6 grinder (which as @Ola alluded to, is likely to be a factor in the schism).

I can't speak to how the Rangers feel about Andersson returning, but I would say that even "just being" a PKer and bottom six grinder would not inherently be a mark against him --- especially considering that's an area the Rangers supposedly want to beef up.

If anything, I'd probably venture the Rangers would love for Andersson to actually become that type of player and serve an active role that complements the high-octane offensive fire power they are working to cultivate. So, other stuff aside for a minute, I don't think it will be second line center or bust for Andersson and the Rangers. From a player development standpoint, I don't think the Rangers would be too terribly upset if Andersson actually showed them he was taking the next steps to becoming a potential contributor to third or fourth line.

Whether that is enough to overcome the other stuff is a different conversation. But I don't know if role is quite the factor for the organization as it might be for some fans, or even Andersson himself.

Reactions: Leetch3

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I can't speak to how the Rangers feel about Andersson returning, but I would say that even "just being" a PKer and bottom six grinder would not inherently be a mark against him --- especially considering that's an area the Rangers supposedly want to beef up.

If anything, I'd probably venture the Rangers would love for Andersson to actually become that type of player and serve an active role that complements the high-octane offensive fire power they are working to cultivate. So, other stuff aside for a minute, I don't think it will be second line center or bust for Andersson and the Rangers. From a player development standpoint, I don't think the Rangers would be too terribly upset if Andersson actually showed them he was taking the next steps to becoming a potential contributor to third or fourth line.

Whether that is enough to overcome the other stuff is a different conversation. But I don't know if role is quite the factor for the organization as it might be for some fans, or even Andersson himself.
I think Andersson HIMSELF doesn't want to go that route, so if the Rangers are adamant in forcing him into that role he'll be happy to stay in Sweden until he is traded to a different organization.

I don't have any inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

E: Not saying he expects a giftwrapped top6 role, but I don't think he wants to be in a situation where he needs to marginalize his skill game to become a pure grinder.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Andersson HIMSELF doesn't want to go that route, so if the Rangers are adamant in forcing him into that role he'll be happy to stay in Sweden until he is traded to a different organization.

And if there is no trade? What is he going to do, give up his chance of playing in the NHL and play in SEL for the rest of his life?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

E: Not saying he expects a giftwrapped top6 role, but I don't think he wants to be in a situation where he needs to marginalize his skill game to become a pure grinder.

My question is "What skill game are you referring to?"

Hes got 3rd line grinder/plumber written all over him and if he cant find the value in that for a winning team or a team on the come up, then hes delusional

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
And if there is no trade? What is he going to do, give up his chance of playing in the NHL and play in SEL for the rest of his life?

Play at home and most likely become fairly wealthy off playing pro hockey in a top 3 league in the world?

And if he becomes really good, he could potentially come back to the NHL after collecting his money.

Wouldn't be the first, wouldn't be the last.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Play at home and most likely become fairly wealthy off playing pro hockey in a top 3 league in the world?

And if he becomes really good, he could potentially come back to the NHL after collecting his money.

Wouldn't be the first, wouldn't be the last.

Top3 eh? In what world? SHL is a development league. Interesting for young prospects but not if you wanna make money.

SHL has very low attendance and most clubs are pretty much bankrupt. There's no money in this league and Sweden isn't a particularly cheap country to live in. Difficult to become a wealthy man playing SHL. Many Swedes failing to land (another) NHL gig opt not to go back to Sweden. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think top SHL earners make about 250'000 dollars per year. To compare, that's about the average salary in Switzerlands NLA while Sergei Mozyakin is making over 2,8 millions a year in Magnitogorsk.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I don’t think either side views him as a pure grinder, or that’s quite what the issue is.

In other words, I don’t think either side would have a problem with him being in the Mike Ricci mold. I think both sides don’t have a ton of interest in him being in the Mike Hartman mold.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I also think we’re putting our words in Andersson’s mouth a little bit too.

Andersson didn’t like the way he was dealt with this season, and felt he had the second best camp/preseason among centers. But I don’t think he’s ever come out proclaimed himself elite or that he wasn’t willing to do what he’s always done - play a game that requires getting into the trenches.

Regardless of whether one thinks he’s an NHL player, or agrees with the approach he took (I don’t), I feel like we’re once again drifting into that overstating territory to try to bolster a point that doesn’t really need it.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I also think we’re putting our words in Andersson’s mouth a little bit too.

Andersson didn’t like the way he was dealt with this season, and felt he had the second best camp/preseason among centers. But I don’t think he’s ever come out proclaimed himself elite or that he wasn’t willing to do what he’s always done - play a game that requires getting into the trenches.

Regardless of whether one thinks he’s an NHL player, or agrees with the approach he took (I don’t), I feel like we’re once again drifting into that overstating territory to try to bolster a point that doesn’t really need it.

According to @Ola 's translation, that's actually not what Lias said.

Even though, I think he probably was the second best centre in training camp.

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Real question: Does anyone really care about his SHL production? It is expected for him to produce there. My biggest problem with Lias in NY was his skating. He was a step slower than the NHL pace. He's a bottom 6 center, if he scores 30 points in an NHL season I'd be happy. I'm more concerned with his skating + possession play more than point production.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Was not a part of why Hayes went college UFA that he and CHI did see different on what his eventual NHL role would be?
That CHI wanted to develop him into a 3. line board-working winger? And Hayes did see himself as more of a playmaking center?

We know nothing about the feedback Lias got from the club/coaches, but if it is a big difference on what kind of player the club tries to mold him into, and what he (and his advisors) believes he can be in his peak I can see there being a problem for him to continue as a NYR. I guess he think it is better to play as a go-to offensive player in the SHL at the age of 21 then focusing on the grinding and defensive parts in AHL/4. line NHL for the time being.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Best case scenario for the NYR is Lias finishes his season over there on a high note, refreshes his mindset, comes to next year's training camp and makes the team.

Agreed. And that really sucks that’s the best case scenario we’ve been put into at this point.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Real question: Does anyone really care about his SHL production? It is expected for him to produce there. My biggest problem with Lias in NY was his skating. He was a step slower than the NHL pace. He's a bottom 6 center, if he scores 30 points in an NHL season I'd be happy. I'm more concerned with his skating + possession play more than point production.

I see his SHL production as him checking off a development box. Gives me hope but doesn't prove anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad