Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In terms of expectations, I always got the sense that the most likely track for Andersson was middle six tweener with a solid 200 foot game and knack for big goals. If he hit his absolute max potential, I saw someone like Drury. I thought if everything went the Rangers way, Chytil-Andersson would be a one-two punch in the mold of the mid-aughts Sabres' Briere-Drury.

Using the old HF ranking system, I would have rated Andersson a 7B and Chytil an 8C.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Play at home and most likely become fairly wealthy off playing pro hockey in a top 3 league in the world?

And if he becomes really good, he could potentially come back to the NHL after collecting his money.

Wouldn't be the first, wouldn't be the last.
How is he going to do that when the Rangers own his rights?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How is he going to do that when the Rangers own his rights?

Best case scenario must be that he does well, gets attention, scouts starts to notice him and report back that he is doing well, and we can trade him for someone else in the same situation. There are always other teams with players in the same situation. Dallas has Honka. Edmonton has Puljujärvi. The Islanders has Ho-Sang -- and so forth. Or Gorton just ships him of as a sweetener in a trade.

I've never blamed DQ for not giving Lias a shot. He wanted more speed at center and went with Howden. Its a matter of taste and philosophy. But given that Lias never will be super-granted to get a shot in the NHL and trust from his coach, I just have a hard time seeing how it could work out with Lias having a future in NY while DQ is here who just puts a lot more value into speed than smarts etc.

If he was someone's elses failed project, I would be intrigued with what I see. He looks a bit psycho, pissed as heck every time he hits the ice, and is playing good hockey and assuming a big role. Due to his speed I don't think anyone will go nuts over him, but I do hope that someone will be interested enough to offer Gorton a piece that also has potential.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I mean our team is pretty thin on forward depth, and we did use a 1st round pick on LA. I don't think his entire NHL career is over yet, he's still only 21... If we can recoup some value out of him, why shouldn't we ?

We should. But if it doesn't happen, move on. He always seemed a "character" selection, and it was looking like bottom 6 projections for him. No big loss. We're neither the first nor the last team to have a bad top 10/1st rd pick. That's life.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Because he's still an asset, and unless he's staying there after his rights are traded to another team, that means we've done nothing with that asset to even partially recoup the value of the pick?

Yes, we should. But if we don't, such is life. It happens.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Best case scenario for the NYR is Lias finishes his season over there on a high note, refreshes his mindset, comes to next year's training camp and makes the team.

yeah thats the key. kid needs to get his head straight and then he and the rangers can talk. regardless of who did what or what he did or didn't deserve, the kid didn't/couldn't handle the situation mentally. he need to clear his head and hopefully he has learned from the situation and this summer can discuss his future with a clear mind as both sides figure out what is best.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Rangers will hold him until they can get semblance of value then trade him. I think the bridge has been burned and everyone will play nice until they can get him traded, neither side trusts the other.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Rangers will hold him until they can get semblance of value then trade him. I think the bridge has been burned and everyone will play nice until they can get him traded, neither side trusts the other.

If I'm the Rangers I make him play the waiting game and let him make the first move while they have his rights.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We should. But if it doesn't happen, move on. He always seemed a "character" selection, and it was looking like bottom 6 projections for him. No big loss. We're neither the first nor the last team to have a bad top 10/1st rd pick. That's life.

Yeah but it's still not really "fine."

It's survivable, but it's not good. Saying "if it happens it happens," is different than saying you are "fine" with it. Fine with it means you are accepting of the outcome.

I'm not and I don't think the Rangers should be. They should be working every angle to either turn him into a player for the NY Rangers or trade him for an asset that becomes a player for the NY Rangers. In no way should the Rangers accept him remaining over in Sweden forever.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My question is "What skill game are you referring to?"

Hes got 3rd line grinder/plumber written all over him and if he cant find the value in that for a winning team or a team on the come up, then hes delusional

I see a similarities to him and Mike Ricci.

Ricci accepted and embraced what type of role he needed to succeed in the NHL, and he ran with it.

If Andersson can do the same, he’ll have a shot.

If he doesn’t, and he thinks he’s a cornerstone offensive player, he’s going to struggle mightily.

From that side of things, the choice is Andersson’s. I hope he gets it. I’d love for him to “get it” for us. But I won’t pin my hopes on that.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I see a similarities to him and Mike Ricci.

Ricci accepted and embraced what type of role he needed to succeed in the NHL, and he ran with it.

If Andersson can do the same, he’ll have a shot.

If he doesn’t, and he thinks he’s a cornerstone offensive player, he’s going to struggle mightily.

From that side of things, the choice is Andersson’s. I hope he gets it. I’d love for him to “get it” for us. But I won’t pin my hopes on that.

I'd love for him to embrace that role here.

Next year he could center any two of the following

Lemieux, Gauthier, Kravtsov

That has the making of a very nice 3rd line

Reactions: UnSandvich

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He can kiss your ass forever, unlike our Finish guy who unfortunately is only allowed to pucker up until next season

giphy.gif

Reactions: Leetch3

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah but it's still not really "fine."

It's survivable, but it's not good. Saying "if it happens it happens," is different than saying you are "fine" with it. Fine with it means you are accepting of the outcome.

I'm not and I don't think the Rangers should be. They should be working every angle to either turn him into a player for the NY Rangers or trade him for an asset that becomes a player for the NY Rangers. In no way should the Rangers accept him remaining over in Sweden forever.

Agree to disagree. If he doesn't pan out, I'm ready to move on. How many low-level/garbage-for-garbage trades work out for either club, anyway? He's not worth much now. Lots of other exciting prospects in the pipeline to watch for.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Agree to disagree. If he doesn't pan out, I'm ready to move on. How many low-level/garbage-for-garbage trades work out for either club, anyway? He's not worth much now. Lots of other exciting prospects in the pipeline to watch for.

You're ready to move on rather than even attempt to get him back to the team or recoup assets for him?

Boy am I glad you're not the GM

Reactions: mschmidt64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad