Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
HV has a pile of games beginning February 11. Basically every other day for the rest of the month. Should get a good sense of where Lias the hockey player is by March.

Reactions: egelband

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
HV has a pile of games beginning February 11. Basically every other day for the rest of the month. Should get a good sense of where Lias the hockey player is by March.

Pretty sure we have a good sense.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as some of the posters here so I've not closed the book on this guy yet.

What do you expect, I gave up on Lundmark just last week

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think he's already better than Howden, and if he improves his skating a little bit more, he'll be better than Howden ever will manage to be. Not sure that his long-term future is at C vs. wing though. I'd like to see him centering Lemieux and Fast for a more checking based line, or maybe a higher ceiling guy with better passing skills (think Buch) if playing on the 3rd line.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think he's already better than Howden, and if he improves his skating a little bit more, he'll be better than Howden ever will manage to be. Not sure that his long-term future is at C vs. wing though. I'd like to see him centering Lemieux and Fast for a more checking based line, or maybe a higher ceiling guy with better passing skills (think Buch) if playing on the 3rd line.

If he's better than Howden then why was he so bad even at AHL level that he saw no option but to violate his contract and escape to Sweden? Sorry, but there are miles between the two. There's exactly nothing Andersson does better than Howden...not in hockey.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as some of the posters here so I've not closed the book on this guy yet.

What do you expect, I gave up on Lundmark just last week
Yep. I believe there is an amazingly fine line between success and failure (or, maybe, better to say ‘not success’) in pro sport.
These guys, well, 99 percent of them, are doing all they can to ‘make it’. And often it’s just a matter of timing, opportunity, health. So I would never write off a young player. Never would write off a 21 year old. So much can happen.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If he's better than Howden then why was he so bad even at AHL level that he saw no option but to violate his contract and escape to Sweden? Sorry, but there are miles between the two. There's exactly nothing Andersson does better than Howden...not in hockey.

If you think the bolded is true, then no matter what I will say, you will dismiss it.

At present, from everything i've seen of the 2 players, the only thing Howden does better is skate.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think both Howden's and Andersson's upside is 3rd line. Why Howden won out over Lias?--better skater, more dependable. That doesn't mean that Lias won't get better or can't catch up with Howden--it's just the way things are now and FWIW as much as Howden gets shit on for not bringing enough to the table he was bringing two or three times more than Lias. There weren't that many NHL games where Lias was even approaching average--he really looked lost a lot and he wasn't playing well in Hartford either.

All that said one of Howden's problems is he's not very strong on his skates. He's got pretty good size but he gets muscled off the puck pretty easily. He needs to get more serious about his training and get stronger. He's kind of soft.

But they're 21 year olds--they're at the beginning of their careers. I don't see top 6 forward for either but they still can turn into good players.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
For those that believe, no explanation is necessary.

For those that do not believe, no explanation will be good enough.

So far, for me, there's nothing that I have seen from Lias that leads me to believe he has an NHL career.

At all.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
If you think the bolded is true, then no matter what I will say, you will dismiss it.

At present, from everything i've seen of the 2 players, the only thing Howden does better is skate.

A hockey player being better at skating, no big deal.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
A hockey player being better at skating, no big deal.

I would say that depends. If Howden was like, a Sean Day level skater, then it'd be a sizable enough difference that i'd be comfortable saying it's a big deal. But he's not.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Not trying to nit pick or anything but skating (or poor skating) is kinda HUGE when it comes to the NHL.

Very rarely can someone make up for a skating deficiency and excel. Since Lias isn't big, crazy accurate or powerful shot, elite vision etc. he's got a lot to work on... now he's got work ethic issues (potentially) and attitude issues (potentially).

Not exactly a great resume.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not trying to nit pick or anything but skating (or poor skating) is kinda HUGE when it comes to the NHL.

Very rarely can someone make up for a skating deficiency and excel. Since Lias isn't big, crazy accurate or powerful shot, elite vision etc. he's got a lot to work on... now he's got work ethic issues (potentially) and attitude issues (potentially).

Not exactly a great resume.

The thing is, at this point I can't really call it poor anymore. On the low end of average, maybe even below average, but it's improved massively since he's been drafted.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Think he's playing in his first game today, he already got a primary assist. He's going to be a point a game player there and back with NYR next season.

2nd game. He played a little over 11 minutes like 10 days ago or something.

This is his first game getting meaningful usage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad