Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He’s in the McIlrath Jessiman category.

HUGE miss and black eye on this scouting dept.
People will tout the Shesty, Dubi, Chytil, Kreider picks as finding gems...

How many players on this squad, or predict to be on this squad were drafted by us and are premiere players????

Ada, Fox, Trouba, Zbad, Panarin, Lemieux... all key players... in fact THE BEST we have and all drafted by other teams. Fast? Buch? Lol.
And for every one of those we didn’t draft but signed there’s A Shattenkirk esque FA signing that shows the ineptitude of our pro scouting.

It’s a joke.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I cannot get into his mind to know what he wants but from watching him play - when did he play with an edge and actually was making a difference every shift????

If you watched him on the PK. If you watched him in his first Hartford trip. If you watched him the SEL or WJC. People can say he hasn't delivered that in the NHL. Fine, he's super young. But to say he isn't driven consistently I think is dishonest.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

How many players on this squad, or predict to be on this squad were drafted by us and are premiere players????

Ada, Fox, Trouba, Zbad, Panarin, Lemieux... all key players... in fact THE BEST we have and all drafted by other teams. Fast? Buch? Lol.
And for every one of those we didn’t draft but signed there’s A Shattenkirk esque FA signing that shows the ineptitude of our pro scouting.

It’s a joke.

welcome.

ive been waiting for more to join me. ive been carrying this banner for years.

FA's and trades have made this team for years. we've done very well.

drafting, not so much...

Reactions: Riche16

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

It’s a joke.

If you want to go back all the way to Jessiman as a strike against the scouting then you also need to add these selections in the pro column:
Artem Anisimov
Carl Hagelin
Derek Stepan
Dale Weise
JT Miller
Brady Skjei
Anthony Duclair

Some of these succeeded in other locations but you have to pick one. Give the Rangers credit for developing guys like ADA, Fox, and Zib or give them credit for selecting guys that developed elsewhere.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If you want to go back all the way to Jessiman as a strike against the scouting then you also need to add these selections in the pro column:
Artem Anisimov
Carl Hagelin
Derek Stepan
Dale Weise
JT Miller
Brady Skjei
Anthony Duclair

Some of these succeeded in other locations but you have to pick one. Give the Rangers credit for developing guys like ADA, Fox, and Zib or give them credit for selecting guys that developed elsewhere.
And those players... how great are they? Ok players? Yup. Nothing special tho.

Our scouting is mediocre at best IMO. Always the smartest guys in the room.

While I didn’t mention the players you did I also didn't mention the other massive misses or the bad contracts we’ve handed out another sign of horrendous pro scouting. I’m astonished that Panarin has come as advertised just based on the fact that our guys wanted him.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

It’s a joke.
Kreider is a key player. Stepan was a key player that got us ADA. Dubi helped get us Nash which turned into Lindgren. Cally was a key player until he got traded...

Not every pick will be a home run. Not ever FA signing will pan out. There isn't a perfect science to building a team. The best you can do is get as many lotto tickets and hope you win.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you watched him on the PK. If you watched him in his first Hartford trip. If you watched him the SEL or WJC. People can say he hasn't delivered that in the NHL. Fine, he's super young. But to say he isn't driven consistently I think is dishonest.

SEL is what exactly?
WJC? Are you talking about the amazing medal throw over the glass?
He failed at AHL level, too. I don't care if it was a lack of talent or effort that caused him to fail but he ran away instead of trying to improve. You won't see a clearer lack of effort than a guy running away, giving up instead of trying. You can say that he's young...maybe. But it wasn't the first incident and your usual prospect would try even harder if he failed. Your usual prospect wouldn't run away if there's the slightest bit of adversity.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’d be curious to see how many people would welcome him back if he shows he can be a useful player for the team.

I personally would.

I'd welcome him back of course and send him to ECHL Maine, where he belongs. If he proves capabable of keeping up there for a couple of months then maybe give him another chance in Hartford.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
And those players... how great are they? Ok players? Yup. Nothing special tho.

Our scouting is mediocre at best IMO. Always the smartest guys in the room.

While I didn’t mention the players you did I also didn't mention the other massive misses or the bad contracts we’ve handed out another sign of horrendous pro scouting. I’m astonished that Panarin has come as advertised just based on the fact that our guys wanted him.

No one has claimed perfection or anything close. Every organization has a laundry list of mistakes.

JT Miller, not "special", but look at the rest of that draft. That is an A grade selection. Not the scouting staffs fault where they picked.

And when talking about pro scouting Zibs was an A+ get. Getting Strome for Spooner another huge hit. Lemieux in the Hayes trade, etc. There has been plenty of good and plenty of bad.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’m not hopeful. He didn’t look particularly good at any point short of a brief spell in preseason and his maturity level speaks for itself. Hopefully he can become something even if it’s just halfway attractive trade bait. It’s a shame to piss away a premium pick - thank god for ADA.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

It’s a joke.

Putting Lemieux above Kreider as a key player is a joke too.

That being said, we went A LOT (2013-17 without) of years without a first or only a late first, so it's hard to measure that against guys like Zibanejad (6th Overall), Trouba (9th), & ADA (19th). Only recently have we been in that position and Lias' draft year was pretty weak.

The jury is out. Gorton (2015) wasn't GM in 2012 and 2017-19 first rounders are too soon to call. Chytil has been a nice late first rounder. Kravstov & two D's in 2018 - can't really have expectations for them for a bit and Kakko, an 18 year old playing in the NHL, in 2019.

When you look even further back, you've got Kreider, Mcilrath, Skjei, Del Zotto, and JT Miller as first rounders. 4/5 have had pretty good NHL careers and nobody was drafted in the top nine.

That being said, it's amazing that Panarin wasn't drafted.

Buchnevich, FWIW, gets drafted higher in every single "redraft" done for that year, so it's hard to criticize that pick.

But, I'm with you that the Rangers never seem to find that diamond in the rough. That 3rd round pick that turns into a Marchand (71st) for example.

They can draft the shit out of goalies though lol.

Reactions: Lion Hound

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
the SHL is an inferior league to the AHL. Like Puljujarvi, I would expect these guys to put up numbers in these leagues with a ton of ice and quick decisions aren't necessary

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
the SHL is an inferior league to the AHL. Like Puljujarvi, I would expect these guys to put up numbers in these leagues with a ton of ice and quick decisions aren't necessary

Nah, it’s certainly not an inferior league. Performance in the SHL transforms much better to the NHL than the AHL and most AHLers are waaay behind in the SHL.

This will be interpreted wrong, but the hardest part with playing in the AHL is that game is so “crappy”. There are many really good grinders developed in especially the CHLs, the skill goes to the NHL and the top grinders to the AHL. It’s 4th line hockey.

I think that the SHL is much more like the NHL than the AHL. Compare how any top 3 lines in the NHL plays with the AHL game. It’s like night and day.

The AHL is great in that it extreme in the areas most kids needs to grow in to take the step to the NHL. It’s a crash course to get to the NHL for kids and good at it. But if you look longer than a 3 months perspective, I think the AHL really can be questioned.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Strictly as a player Lias is certainly AHL quality all day long. Was he NHL quality? I guess that is debatable.

Mentally he showed another side. Showed he wasn't ready for prime time. Proved by his actions that the "scouting" was largely inaccurate. Character, leadership, Maturity etc. Sometimes you get a misdiagnosis. It happens.

Maybe the story ends well somehow? SHL, gain confidence. back to NA. Could happen. Would like to hear one of the beat writers dig some more info up.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Putting Lemieux above Kreider as a key player is a joke too.

That being said, we went A LOT (2013-17 without) of years without a first or only a late first, so it's hard to measure that against guys like Zibanejad (6th Overall), Trouba (9th), & ADA (19th). Only recently have we been in that position and Lias' draft year was pretty weak.

The jury is out. Gorton (2015) wasn't GM in 2012 and 2017-19 first rounders are too soon to call. Chytil has been a nice late first rounder. Kravstov & two D's in 2018 - can't really have expectations for them for a bit and Kakko, an 18 year old playing in the NHL, in 2019.

When you look even further back, you've got Kreider, Mcilrath, Skjei, Del Zotto, and JT Miller as first rounders. 4/5 have had pretty good NHL careers and nobody was drafted in the top nine.

That being said, it's amazing that Panarin wasn't drafted.

Buchnevich, FWIW, gets drafted higher in every single "redraft" done for that year, so it's hard to criticize that pick.

But, I'm with you that the Rangers never seem to find that diamond in the rough. That 3rd round pick that turns into a Marchand (71st) for example.

They can draft the **** out of goalies though lol.
I mentioned Kreider as a “gem” in top of my post but hey, why not take a shot for no reason right?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No one has claimed perfection or anything close. Every organization has a laundry list of mistakes.

JT Miller, not "special", but look at the rest of that draft. That is an A grade selection. Not the scouting staffs fault where they picked.

And when talking about pro scouting Zibs was an A+ get. Getting Strome for Spooner another huge hit. Lemieux in the Hayes trade, etc. There has been plenty of good and plenty of bad.
There’s literally a laundry list of misses by the pro scouts. Zbad and Panarin don’t absolve them of 15 years of importing crap.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I mentioned Kreider as a “gem” in top of my post but hey, why not take a shot for no reason right?

Oh, there was a reason - you specifically omitted him from "Ada, Fox, Trouba, Zbad, Panarin, Lemieux... all key players... in fact THE BEST we have and all drafted by other teams. Fast? Buch? Lol."

THE BEST we have all drafted by other teams - except Kreider, who is clearly a better player, at least at this point, then Lemieux and the 2nd best winger on this team.

Not "taking a shot" - just calling it like I see it. I have no reason to quarrel with you.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Oh, there was a reason - you specifically omitted him from "Ada, Fox, Trouba, Zbad, Panarin, Lemieux... all key players... in fact THE BEST we have and all drafted by other teams. Fast? Buch? Lol."

THE BEST we have all drafted by other teams - except Kreider, who is clearly a better player, at least at this point, then Lemieux and the 2nd best winger on this team.

Not "taking a shot" - just calling it like I see it. I have no reason to quarrel with you.
I specifically mentioned him along with Chytil & Shesty as gems that we have found!

The other group is the players who are keys on this squad that WE DID NOT DRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad