Value of: LHD to New Jersey

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
Isles and Devils have a small history of trades. Add in Lou and a deal can be made.

Hickey for a late pick.

Veteran NHL defenseman that has playoff experience. Isles have a lot of LHD and some young defenders they want to turn to so Hickey was waived.
OP is looking for a high end defender, not a crappy defender who can't even make the nhl and has a bad contract.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Forbort for a 3rd

What's the deal with Forbort? Wasn't he slotted next to Doughty for a while last year and the year before? I don't know much about his game.

As for the return, I hesitate to deal another 3rd rounder. Shero purged a lot of picks this summer (and for good reason)... I'd probably look to trade a similarly-valued roster player and/or prospect package, but I'm not sure what the Kings' immediate/organizational needs are.

Ryan Murray has been potentially available all summer, but we have price expectations that seem to put people off. That said, the thing we could really use is a top-quality LW... :naughty:

Our LW1-3 right now are Hall, Gusev and Boqvist. I can essentially guarantee that none of them would be moved in a Murray deal.

The best we could do is something around Zacha, or something bigger around Wood. I suspect that doesn't get it done.​

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Our LW1-3 right now are Hall, Gusev and Boqvist. I can essentially guarantee that none of them would be moved in a Murray deal.

The best we could do is something around Zacha, or something bigger around Wood. I suspect that doesn't get it done.
That's putting it mildly. Neither of those guys are in the same area code as a Murray deal. For a top-pairing defenseman, we'd insist on a top-line forward.

Reactions: qqaz

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
What's the deal with Forbort? Wasn't he slotted next to Doughty for a while last year and the year before? I don't know much about his game.

As for the return, I hesitate to deal another 3rd rounder. Shero purged a lot of picks this summer (and for good reason)... I'd probably look to trade a similarly-valued roster player and/or prospect package, but I'm not sure what the Kings' immediate/organizational needs are.

The best we could do is something around Zacha, or something bigger around Wood. I suspect that doesn't get it done.​
Forbort is a stay at home defensemen that can play top 4 minutes. He's also relatively young at 27 years old.

Having him paired with one of your OFD like Vatanen would make a lot of sense.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Forbort is not a top pairing defense man and shouldn't be paired with Drew. However that doesn't mean hes a not a decent defenseman. If he was 2nd pairing defense man with most of his minutes on the pk he would have some value. He doesn't have much offense to his game. He has a decent stick in the defensive zone.

Kings need picks and more picks. If your thinking of a prospect instead of picks or with the Kings need offensive wingers mostly on the right side.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
rangers have Hajek, Lindgren and possibly Rykov about or actually ready/knocking on the door

Do we want to entertain a discussion about Skjei?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Zadorov is an obvious one, but won’t happen until Cole is back in the lineup.

Perhaps Zadorov can be part of a deadline day deal for Hall if NJ can’t extend him.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Big Buff if he wants to play still . No idea what it would take .
No idea if Buff is left or right side .
Rumours about room being too intense , would fit in with the kids and Subban liking to have fun but yet focused on winning .....
Just a pipe dream
He's an all-star right-handed defenceman with a $7.6M cap hit for the next 2 years and if he's willing to play at all, the Jets won't trade him for anything but a king's ransom. ESPECIALLY considering how thin Winnipeg's defense has suddenly become.

I shouldn't need to bring it up, as I think I've made my point already, but just in case, I'll add that he's from Roseau, MN, which is about a 90 minute drive from Winnipeg where his daughter is enrolled in school. He's a family man and I can't see why he'd want to uproot his life.

TLDR: NJ can't take his cap, can't pay the asking price, Jets say no anyway, Buff also says no.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Skjei would be, at best, our 5th best defenseman. Subban, Vatanen, Severson, and Butcher are all better.

He makes us better by pushing Mueller/Carrick out of the lineup but he's not an upgrade to the top-4.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei would be, at best, our 5th best defenseman. Subban, Vatanen, Severson, and Butcher are all better.

He makes us better by pushing Mueller/Carrick out of the lineup but he's not an upgrade to the top-4.

Skjei is inconsistent based on system and partner.
Has demonstrated McDonagh lite at best and below that at other times.

I agree he is a useful fit, but I'm not sure we can agree on value or currency.
Just seeing if anyone had any constructive input.
Thanks for yours.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Thanks for yours.
I like Skjei as a player, I actually have him on my fantasy team. I just don't think he really brings anything to NJ that we don't already have.

The idea is to bring in a guy that can bump Greene down to the bottom pairing and Skjei isn't the guy who can come in and do that.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

Thanks for yours.
If skjei actually played like McDonnugh lite, you wouldn’t want to trade him. He is not better than any of the top 4 we currently have and makes too much to play on the bottom pair.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So what would be the main piece in that offer for Nurse?

beat this to death, too. New Jersey is looking to turn a few quarters into a dollar. That’s what Shero is good at.

Suffice it to say from an Oiler fans POV they wouldn’t move any single piece that would get them into the conversation for Nurse.

Reactions: bernmeister

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Forbort is a stay at home defensemen that can play top 4 minutes. He's also relatively young at 27 years old.

Having him paired with one of your OFD like Vatanen would make a lot of sense.

Forbort is not a top pairing defense man and shouldn't be paired with Drew. However that doesn't mean hes a not a decent defenseman. If he was 2nd pairing defense man with most of his minutes on the pk he would have some value. He doesn't have much offense to his game. He has a decent stick in the defensive zone.

Kings need picks and more picks. If your thinking of a prospect instead of picks or with the Kings need offensive wingers mostly on the right side.

Just when Forbort sounds like an ideal acquisition, I find that he's a non-roster player at the moment due to a back injury.

We probably shouldn't be trading picks this early in the season - given how many we purged this summer - and I'm not sure I'd trade any prospect of real significance for an injured, pending UFA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If skjei actually played like McDonnugh lite, you wouldn’t want to trade him. He is not better than any of the top 4 we currently have and makes too much to play on the bottom pair.

That has been the top of the mark he has actually demonstrated, but again, very inconsistent and requires extensive adjustment to systems, partners. But the potential to go there exists. He is a very good skater including backwards, and sure, there is a lot more to being a quality D in the NHL, but esp w/today's game, the wheels are almost a prerequisite.

Skjei could be all that and a bag of chips.
If he is not elite, IMO we need to move him in advance of expansion, and the longer you wait, the harder it will be to move him as others must also get their rosters tactically in order for the draft.
Both Hajek and Lindgren must be protected, so it makes sense to move the slightly older vet who is not elc instead.
IMO he gets moved regardless of how he plays.
Open to offers now.
Again, didn't see immediate match but wanted to extend courtesy of entertaining the idea.

best.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
beat this to death, too. New Jersey is looking to turn a few quarters into a dollar. That’s what Shero is good at.

Suffice it to say from an Oiler fans POV they wouldn’t move any single piece that would get them into the conversation for Nurse.
I agree w/CO here.
Nurse is a good fit, but while overpayment may not be in order, reasonable approximation of full market value is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00