Pre-Game Talk: Lets talk positively about game 3 Dallas v Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Eichel scored an absolute beauty today which makes 2 goals in 3 games- Nice if McDavid would shut up his detractors with a nice game with Yak!

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Apart from seeing how McDavid-Yak fair, I want to see how this D does against one of the elite forward groups in the WC. It'll be interesting to see if they can hold their own like they did against Nashville.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This board needs some goals badly. I'll admit I just about went off the rails after last game. Dallas has one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL, and so we do. I made a big post about this a couple weeks ago in that Dallas and us are similarly put together. Dallas was one of the highest goal scoring teams last season but where did that get them?

I really hope this is a barn burner, win or lose.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Screw (some of) you guys... I'm keeping my positive hat on.

Two games in and we have only 4 (+EN) goals against. That is a very small sample size, but it tells me our defensive woes in the past had a lot more to do with coaching/system then it did personnel. It doesn't seem like TMac is going to have to break these guys down to dispossess them of bad habits and then rebuild them... which is good, cuz that takes longer.

So if team D isn't going to be a problem, and all we have to do is tweak around the edges, re-introduce some calculated risks to let our natural offensive skill shine again... I'm not so worried about the season overall.

The reverse would have been more entertaining, but a lot harder to deal with... if we were down 0-2 with 10 goals scored against and 8 goals for, I'd be thinking there is a heavy road of learning ahead for this team still. (and that we still don't have a goalie)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i saw schultz take a slap shot last game.........
a real one

SchultzSquared*

5-3 for the good guys, and we rejoice across all the land.

RNH PP (from McD)
Yak (from McD)
Lander
Schultz (from McD)
Pouliot EN (from McD)

One can sense a theme here. :naughty:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Avoiding the main board I see - that's a good plan.

Well on the general hockey chat board there are two threads that I'm into right now... but I wouldn't go there to talk about the Oilers... that's what this place is for.

Are you some kind of crazy masochist that looks for internet trolls who try to brainwash you into thinking that Mcdavid is going to be a bust or something?

If yes, then an intervention is in order!

No more normal boards for you till Mcdavid has 10 points, you hear?

I'm sure people are talking about Crosby (who had legendary or very well respected vets like Billy Guerin and Super Mario) to help him out from day one. The vets at Mcdavid's disposal are Taylor Hall and a bunch of bottom six forwards for the most part.

Mcdavid's all around game looks too good for him to not turn into an incredible hockey player.

If you're going to go there at all you should be counter trolling those people. Make stupid crap up like local radio stations suggesting that we've drafted the next Pavel Brendel and that after recent losses there have been reports of Mcdavid swearing profusely.

Then, next time there's an Oiler who gets a black eye, suggest that Mcdavid did it. When people start wondering why it's not in the media say that the Oilers have always done a great job of keeping big stories out of the press and that Mcdavid pretty much knocked the dude with the black eye out in 1 shot because he's got a red belt(Only 26 people on earth have a red belt.) in Brazilian Jujitsu.

Feed em some of that and you'll be well on your way.

Screw (some of) you guys... I'm keeping my positive hat on.

Two games in and we have only 4 (+EN) goals against. That is a very small sample size, but it tells me our defensive woes in the past had a lot more to do with coaching/system then it did personnel. It doesn't seem like TMac is going to have to break these guys down to dispossess them of bad habits and then rebuild them... which is good, cuz that takes longer.

So if team D isn't going to be a problem, and all we have to do is tweak around the edges, re-introduce some calculated risks to let our natural offensive skill shine again... I'm not so worried about the season overall.

The reverse would have been more entertaining, but a lot harder to deal with... if we were down 0-2 with 10 goals scored against and 8 goals for, I'd be thinking there is a heavy road of learning ahead for this team still. (and that we still don't have a goalie)

I agree we need to be more positive. St. Louis has a lot to prove this year because they've turned into chokers just like the Nucks and the Sharks over the past few years. They've been known to be a solid team for many years, they've got reason to be extra motivated and they've always been good at pressuring the other team.

When we played the Blues we looked pretty good that night. There were some periods of time (the start of the game was a little awkward to watch) where we got boxed in for a bit, but we fought out of it. Talbot didn't have to make 50 saves that night to keep the final score to something semi-respectable.

Rewind a year ago and St. Louis would have scored 7 goals on us easily.

People can complain that we didn't score but that's because nobody was taking risks. Last year we heard it a million times how so many of the Oilers end up coughing up the puck or screwing up scoring chances with hope plays and they were not getting caught making those dumb plays last night.

Also, we managed our bench much better. Not just from the coach. From the players. Last year it was so dumb to see Taylor Hall at the end of the shift get ahold of the puck and try to skate down the ice and shove it down their throats only to watch him get gassed out by the time he passed into the offensive zone. Did not see many of those shifts vs the Blues.

Things look better on a lot of fronts. If we're losing at this point because we're not putting and pucks in, that's not a big deal. We KNOW we can fix that. We KNOW that our players have that ability to rack up a ton of goals. What we don't know is how well they're going to adjust to playing a system that demands that they play responsibly. If they can adjust to that then we can look forward to our team's development curve being very steep and fast on all of those advanced hockey graphs. If not, then it could be a we bit of a long season for us, again. I'm hoping for the former.

i saw schultz take a slap shot last game.........
a real one

I know! I did a triple take when I saw that! Shocking!

Another thing is that I didn't see him bobble the puck on the blueline as badly on the PP.

One thing that didn't look good on the PP though was puck retrieval. It was brutal. Puck retrieval was so slow that you'd think they had no desperation in them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't know why Talbot is not playing and Reinhart sitting for Davidson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Davidson have to clear waivers to be sent back down? Ference has a

NMC so we can't sit him and I guess he has to be given some games so that it looks like we respect the guy to some degree. We gave him some minutes VS the Preds because they're not very deep up front and it was easier to give him more favourable match-ups during that game.

Davidson can't sit in the press box the whole time he's here. He has to improve, too. Then again, he cold be someone that Edmonton is shopping. There are a couple of teams out there looking for a d-man and Davidson has a really small cap hit.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Supposed to be positive. ;)
I'm so glad Davidson is playing over Ference.

One thing that's great about having Ference getting paid over 3M this season to play what will probably be less than 30 games is that it'll hopefully eventually convince the NHL to vote to ban NMCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad