OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
i have some already , thanks for the suggestion though.

Seems like a no-brainer to invest via a TFSA vs taxable account. You'll get the return of Ethereum with ETHX.B, minus a small management fee. No tax on the returns will easily cover that marginal fee if you think ETH goes 5x.

But of course, that's not a 'definance' move.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
All uranium stocks are going to go up massively within this year/next year. There is a massive supply demand coming. Last time this happend 10-15 years ago stocks went from 10 cents to $9

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Seems like a no-brainer to invest via a TFSA vs taxable account. You'll get the return of Ethereum with ETHX.B, minus a small management fee. No tax on the returns will easily cover that marginal fee if you think ETH goes 5x.

But of course, that's not a 'definance' move.

I think ETH will be much more than that long term, the fund will take a long time to reflect the growth but that is fine. I like to swing trade ETH and a few others when I can, build up my other portfolio as well

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They build electric trucks and school buses. Amazon ordered a bunch of trucks for deliveries and has an option to buy stock into the company. Based in St-Jérôme. Just went public via a SPAC on the NYSE and on the TSX.

They announced a new plant in Chicago yesterday, and will build a battery plant in Québec on the north shore of Montréal.

I'm really bullish on this. Especially since that market has no big players from what I gather. Tesla has to fight vs. the big constructors. No such thing for Lion.

I've been looking at the company ,thanks for the heads up. looks impressive and what a huge area for growth. 17$/share , could be a ton of room for growth.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yep also some good buy opps on the growth stocks of you have a horizon longer than a month lol. I’m glad I got into some stocks the past couple days which I thought would never come back to these prices this quick

I've been holding off buying and watching the falling knives, because even if a stock has a catalyst now, the hedgies are just licking their chops. But now with inflation fears alleviated some, I've been eyeballing some Ark stocks. I have a chart on what is going to triple before end of year, and am trying to figure out longterm value amongst those. And toying with dropping some K into Safemoon.

Reactions: canucklover123

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
call me crazy, but I'm pulling 12k out of my tfsa and buying more ETH , I think a 5x is easy from here till Sept. I can't make a 5x in my tsfa any time soon, so I'm just doing it.
The difference is that you TSFA profits aren't taxed the ETH profits, should you make some and then sell, will be at I believe 30%.

Reactions: QuebecPride

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Pay capital gains on 50% of your investments. Personally, I don’t use my tfsa much for investments and I probably should, but 80% of my holdings are crypto.

Reactions: Habs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You should keep that money in your TFSA and buy ETHX.B. At least the returns will be tax-free.
I don’t see how this would be more profitable. I never intend to exchange my crypto for fiat. Hold your crypto forever and use it as leverage with the bank, but never sell. I will never sell and I will never pay capital gains either. I will pay interest (tax) but only for things I truly need.

Reactions: overlords

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pay capital gains on 50% of your investments. Personally, I don’t use my tfsa much for investments and I probably should, but 80% of my holdings are crypto.
Crypto taxes are a mixed bag depending on if you mined them, if they are part of a business or whatever or capital gains so the tax% varies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Crypto taxes are a mixed bag depending on if you mined them, if they are part of a business or whatever or capital gains so the tax% varies.
I don’t ever intend to pay any tax. I’ve never heard of this though. Through all my research you are taxed on 50% of your gains. I don’t sell mine, so I never paid much attention to it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don’t ever intend to pay any tax. I’ve never heard of this though. Through all my research you are taxed on 50% of your gains. I don’t sell mine, so I never paid much attention to it.

Even trading one crypto for another can be taxed if you made gains and the CRA does Cryptocurrency audits now.

Guide for cryptocurrency users and tax professionals - Canada.ca

Reporting business income or capital gains from the disposition of cryptocurrency

What is a disposition?

This refers to the way you get rid of something, such as by giving, selling or transferring it. In general, possessing or holding a cryptocurrency is not taxable. But there could be tax consequences when you do any of the following:
  • sell or make a gift of cryptocurrency
  • trade or exchange cryptocurrency, including disposing of one cryptocurrency to get another cryptocurrency
  • convert cryptocurrency to government-issued currency, such as Canadian dollars
  • use cryptocurrency to buy goods or services
Is it business income or capital gain?

The income you get from disposing of cryptocurrency may be considered business income or a capital gain. In order to report it correctly, you must first establish what kind of income it is.
The following are common signs that you may be carrying on a business:
  • you carry on activity for commercial reasons and in a commercially viable way
  • you undertake activities in a businesslike manner, which might include preparing a business plan and acquiring capital assets or inventory
  • you promote a product or service
  • you show that you intend to make a profit, even if you are unlikely to do so in the short term
Business activities normally involve some regularity or a repetitive process over time. Each situation has to be looked at separately.
In some cases, a single transaction can be considered a business, for example when it is an adventure or concern in the nature of trade. Whether you are carrying on a business or not must be determined on a case by case basis. For more information, please review our archived content on an adventure or concern in the nature of trade.
Another factor in deciding if there is a business activity is the date when the business begins. If you are still setting up or preparing to go into business, you might not be considered to have started the business. You usually have to undertake significant activity that is part of your income-earning process. Any funds or property you receive before your business begins are not generally considered to be business income. Similarly, you cannot claim deductions for income tax purposes before the business begins. For more information, please review our archived content on the start of business operations.
Some examples of cryptocurrency businesses are:
  • cryptocurrency mining
  • cryptocurrency trading
  • cryptocurrency exchanges, including ATMs
Paragraphs 9 to 32 of Interpretation Bulletin IT-479R : Transactions in securities, provide general information to help you figure out if transactions are income or capital gains. Although the discussion of income and capital in this interpretation bulletin is helpful, remember that cryptocurrencies are not Canadian securities under the Income Tax Act.
Reporting as either income or capital gain

Generally, if disposing of cryptocurrency is part of a business, the profits you make on the disposition or sale are considered business income and not a capital gain. Buying a cryptocurrency with the intention of selling it for a profit may be treated as business income, even if it’s an isolated incident, because it could be considered an adventure or concern in the nature of trade.
If the sale of a cryptocurrency does not constitute carrying on a business, and the amount it sells for is more than the original purchase price or its adjusted cost base, then the taxpayer has realized a capital gain.
Capital gains from the sale of cryptocurrency are generally included in income for the year, but only half of the capital gain is subject to tax. This is called the taxable capital gain. Any capital losses resulting from the sale can only be offset against capital gains; you cannot use them to reduce income from other sources, such as employment income. You can carry forward your capital losses if you do not have any capital gains against which to offset those losses for the year or any of the preceding three years.
For more information on capital gains, see Guide T4037, Capital Gains.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I don’t see how this would be more profitable. I never intend to exchange my crypto for fiat. Hold your crypto forever and use it as leverage with the bank, but never sell. I will never sell and I will never pay capital gains either. I will pay interest (tax) but only for things I truly need.

By definition, you will sell. When you die, your succession will have to sell. If you want to buy pretty much anything except a Tesla, you'll have to trade your Cryptos for cash.

If you want to pay taxes, be my guest, but the fact that you can invest in Bitcoin and Ethereum via a TFSA is a can't miss opportunity for those that can bear the risks. Those who have their TFSA filled to the rim, sure, invest wherever you want, but I don't understand why you would remove money from TFSA to go on binance on a taxation POV (no offense Habs, I just don't understand the logic). I know a lot of the narrative behind cryptos is the defi movement and moving away from big banks/wall street, so that could be an argument 'for' investing on those crypto exchanges. But that's more of a political/personal preference than a rational one.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I think ETH will be much more than that long term, the fund will take a long time to reflect the growth but that is fine. I like to swing trade ETH and a few others when I can, build up my other portfolio as well

The fund's value moves just like ETH's value. That is it's purpose. Especially if you like to swing trade in ETH, you should do it in a TFSA since you have more taxable events (sales). Now if you move between cryptos, I guess you can't do that in a TFSA yet unforunately, besides BTC/ETH.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

We have a fiscalist on here every now and then, I'm sure he'll chime in. But yeah capital gains are taxed 50% in Canada. Then depending on your marginal tax rate you pay a certain % of taxes on a gain. Say you make a 1000$ profit, 500$ is taxable, and then at most 53.31% (if you live in Qc) of the 500$ will be tax.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's a bit concentrated for my liking, but it has worked in the past 20 years ;)
Warren Buffer and Berkshire sure have made a pretty penny on a ton of investments on the NASDAQ lol Then again he looks not only for growth of the stock price but also good annual dividend potential, etc.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Warren Buffer and Berkshire sure have made a pretty penny on a ton of investments on the NASDAQ lol Then again he looks not only for growth of the stock price but also good annual dividend potential, etc.
Certainly had a decent week. BRK was $275 first of week. Now $290.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was thinking, I know that's dangerous right. lol . But could sell my house and invest the money in couple/three of VOO, VTI, BRK. Average 15% return, Make a good year's work. Even with 15-20k out a year in rent. Plus no house taxes, upkeep and house insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad