OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Good stuff, I haven't been able to pull the trigger as of yet. But thought today looked good, so good on you, hope you kill it.

Im so high on the IGAMING/Gambling sector . I am definitely not diversified which does scare me a lot because I feel like I am somewhat gambling (the irony lol). But i do love my AVGS. Unfortunately, when things go bad like it is now. I have to stay away from my portfolio haha

Reactions: japhi

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
You and I have roughly the same investing strategy. Most of my portfolio is in a balanced stack of ETF.

What I didn't like about this approach was the lack of opportunity to buy great companies when they went on sale. So I moved a portion out of ETF's and built out a second portfolio individual equities late last year. BMO, BNS, SU, ENB, MFI, FTT, RCI, ABX, MSC, SJR, etc. Not sure if I'll be able to beat the index tbh, but I wanted more control. Off to a smashing start, this portfolio is up 34% but I know that will not last forever. Have to be incredibily disciplined about what I buy.

Honestly, it's not a bad plan to have a little fun portfolio to keep you sane with the boring part. You can measure how you do vs. the indices. I have mine as well, but just no direct stocks yet. Maybe once I hit 100K I'll take some positions in stocks per say, but I'm a big diversification person and try to keep trading (costs) to a minimum. I think I've only sold once in my brokerage account and it was to move out of the bond ETF I had a couple of months ago. There are a lot of cool thematics ETFs coming out and I've joined the fun in a few themes despite the higher MERs and this is where I'm concentrating my fun part, but I wouldn't call that stock picking, maybe sector picking.

It's true that I didn't buy particular stocks in the downturns. But I unloaded pretty much all my available cash in ETFs in april last year when the markets as a whole were down, so you still get to buy the lows. It was too good an opportunity to pass up. I bought a truckload of VXC at 32-33$ and it's now at 47$. I bought half a truck-load of QXM at 15-17$ and it's now at ~25$.

Last edited:
Reactions: japhi

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
DKNG does better than expected, proceeds to plummet after ER lol.

I’m gunna go broke with these buying ops.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
DKNG does better than expected, proceeds to plummet after ER lol.

I’m gunna go broke with these buying ops.

Everything that has great earnings is taking a dump, its frustrating.. yet I doubled my money on DOGE in 5 days lol. DOGE has no fundamentals, no real use.. and I doubled my money. Paypal smashes earnings, it drops 20%

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Everything that has great earnings is taking a dump, its frustrating.. yet I doubled my money on DOGE in 5 days lol. DOGE has no fundamentals, no real use.. and I doubled my money. Paypal smashes earnings, it drops 20%

man doge is the only one I never got into because I thought I would get burned bad.....

what do I know lol

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sold my AAPL 130C 05/14...figured it was too hard not to take the profits so I just sold it all for a 100% gain

Thinking of playing with some steel companies, looking at our 2 local ones US Steel and and ArcelorMital in Hamilton

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I like where Elysis, joint venture between Rio Tinto and Alcoa, is going with its theoretically zero-emission aluminum production tech. I’ll have to dive a little to figure out which of the two has the most skin in it.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
man doge is the only one I never got into because I thought I would get burned bad.....

what do I know lol

Its pumping for the weekend, they are all hoping Elon pumps it on SNL.. that's why I sold, could hit a buck, but could just plummet any day again. I used to own so much doge, sold it all around .02 c, so we can both punch each other in the balls.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I like where Elysis, joint venture between Rio Tinto and Alcoa, is going with its theoretically zero-emission aluminum production tech. I’ll have to dive a little to figure out which of the two has the most skin in it.

I'm interested to see what you discover, that could be a game changer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its pumping for the weekend, they are all hoping Elon pumps it on SNL.. that's why I sold, could hit a buck, but could just plummet any day again. I used to own so much doge, sold it all around .02 c, so we can both punch each other in the balls.
I was once the proud owner of 260k doge.

Sold it all for a 300$ profit.

Eh

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What all y’all’s outlook in growth stocks for the next 3-6 months

it should be good, you have the best fed I've ever seen, no issues with interest rates, inflation imo won't be a problem. My main concerns would be political, covid, and if something unexpected happens like China invades Taiwan or something like that.

That said I don't get why growth is getting smoked and why hedge funds have been selling stocks.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
it should be good, you have the best fed I've ever seen, no issues with interest rates, inflation imo won't be a problem. My main concerns would be political, covid, and if something unexpected happens like China invades Taiwan or something like that.

That said I don't get why growth is getting smoked and why hedge funds have been selling stocks.

Right, I see it the same way with the same concerns. Market is so volatile that any bad news will set it off.

Reactions: montreal

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
call me crazy, but I'm pulling 12k out of my tfsa and buying more ETH , I think a 5x is easy from here till Sept. I can't make a 5x in my tsfa any time soon, so I'm just doing it.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Hey a stock thread. I trade US stocks. US job numbers were down, so inflation fears were alleviated, so money started flowing from value to growth, but the hedgies shorted it right away. Good play if you are a daytrader and on top of it, I guess.

Reactions: Habs

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Hey a stock thread. I trade US stocks. US job numbers were down, so inflation fears were alleviated, so money started flowing from value to growth, but the hedgies shorted it right away. Good play if you are a daytrader and on top of it, I guess.

Yep also some good buy opps on the growth stocks of you have a horizon longer than a month lol. I’m glad I got into some stocks the past couple days which I thought would never come back to these prices this quick

Reactions: tinyzombies

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Bought some Bitfarm a couple months ago - now it’s poppin off. Looks like it will get uplisted soon with plenty of room to grow when looking at comparable mining co.

Reactions: llamateizer

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Tell me more

They build electric trucks and school buses. Amazon ordered a bunch of trucks for deliveries and has an option to buy stock into the company. Based in St-Jérôme. Just went public via a SPAC on the NYSE and on the TSX.

They announced a new plant in Chicago yesterday, and will build a battery plant in Québec on the north shore of Montréal.

I'm really bullish on this. Especially since that market has no big players from what I gather. Tesla has to fight vs. the big constructors. No such thing for Lion.

Reactions: Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad