OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I bought another 300k coin. NFT market is in a little slide, even Bepro and MANA are hurting. It will come back

Now, talk to me about the rest of the stock market..
paypal - destroys earnings, down. That's where the real scam of a market is, the Nasdaq. I'm so done with stocks, I'm seriously pulling it all out an running with crypto

It's a running gag in Finance. Company X increases its profits or has record profits, the stock tanks. It's all about expectations. When companies decrease on earnings release, it's because investors/the market were disappointed by the news/the results.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's a running gag in Finance. Company X increases its profits or has record profits, the stock tanks. It's all about expectations. When companies decrease on earnings release, it's because investors/the market were disappointed by the news/the results.

It sure makes on lose faith in the market system, just brutal.

What are you buying these days?

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
1- Buy BNB (or ADA?) Already own ADA
2- Send to wallet ? metamask?
3- exchange to CAKE throught Pancake Swap
4- connect to wallet then send it to pool through PancakeSwap

How much cake do you own? I'm staking with BUNNY | No 1. Yield Optimizer in the cake pool. You get cake, and bunny plus compounding.
There is a really interesting thread on reddit on where the best place to stake CAKE is, he is on day 10 of 30 so that will be fun to watch as well.

It looks like you are doing it right looking at your post above, Metamask ---> pancake swap for staking.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
How much cake do you own? I'm staking with BUNNY | No 1. Yield Optimizer in the cake pool. You get cake, and bunny plus compounding.
There is a really interesting thread on reddit on where the best place to stake CAKE is, he is on day 10 of 30 so that will be fun to watch as well.

It looks like you are doing it right looking at your post above, Metamask ---> pancake swap for staking.

1.5 Cake for now.
I went pretty much with the minimum so I get used to the process.

I'll check that and might put some in it

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
1.5 Cake for now.
I went pretty much with the minimum so I get used to the process.

I'll check that and might put some in it

that is a good strategy for crypto, test it out and do withdrawls and make sure there is liquidity. Cake always has liquidity, but I have bought some awful coins where I couldn't dump them if I wanted to, lesson learned.

Liquidity pools can be a hassle as well for this reason, but not on cake its all good there.

Reactions: llamateizer

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm not touching those, not even with a ten feet pole. But I'll gladly take the better exchange rate due to the rise in oil prices.

Curious as to why you would avoid Energy. These stocks were trading at 15 year lows. Not super sexy investments, but tons of value, O&G is not going anywhere fast, and they pay great dividends.

Challenge will be knowing when to exit, but my god this stuff was cheap the past year

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It sure makes on lose faith in the market system, just brutal.

What are you buying these days?

That's why you need to invest over the long term. Markets can be irrational for longer than you can be solvent. (John Maynard Keynes)

I'm a boring investor. I invest in my TFSA and RRSP automatically on every pay. Then two business days later, based on my target allocations, I invest in whatever needs a little bump up, usually it's in either the ultra-diversified VXC or in QXM, sometimes I can allocate a bit in my fun portfolio. The only new addition to my portfolio has been ethereum via ETHX.B 2-3 weeks ago. But it's pennies vs. the rest of my portfolio.

I'm waiting on Lion Électrique to go public and then I'll invest maybe 500-600$.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Curious as to why you would avoid Energy. These stocks were trading at 15 year lows. Not super sexy investments, but tons of value, O&G is not going anywhere fast, and they pay great dividends.

Challenge will be knowing when to exit, but my god this stuff was cheap the past year

I don't actually own a stock, I just have like 10 ETFs. Since I don't invest in the TSX composite and prefer QXM, I have no big oil and gas Canadian companies. I have maybe 50$ in oil and gas via my mid-cap and small cap Canadian ETFs. Of course I must have a small exposure via VXC, which owns any companies outside Canada that is publically traded, but it's not a big exposure maybe 2-3% of the fund.

Our Products | Vanguard Canada Advisors

Three big reasons why I don't invest in stocks directly: 1) No trading fees on ETFs vs. fees for stocks, 2) diversification and 3) I usually invest my bi-weekly contributions right away, so I don't usually hold enough in my brokerage account to make it worth the fee.

As for Oil and gas, I don't like the cyclical side. It was a good buy low moment, you're right. Just not my thing.

Probably the first stock I'll invest in directly is Lion Électrique.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I don't actually own a stock, I just have like 10 ETFs. Since I don't invest in the TSX composite and prefer QXM, I have no big oil and gas Canadian companies. I have maybe 50$ in oil and gas via my mid-cap and small cap Canadian ETFs. Of course I must have a small exposure via VXC, which owns any companies outside Canada that is publically traded, but it's not a big exposure maybe 2-3% of the fund.

Our Products | Vanguard Canada Advisors

Three big reasons why I don't invest in stocks directly: 1) No trading fees on ETFs vs. fees for stocks, 2) diversification and 3) I usually invest my bi-weekly contributions right away, so I don't usually hold enough in my brokerage account to make it worth the fee.

As for Oil and gas, I don't like the cyclical side. It was a good buy low moment, you're right. Just not my thing.

Probably the first stock I'll invest in directly is Lion Électrique.

You and I have roughly the same investing strategy. Most of my portfolio is in a balanced stack of ETF.

What I didn't like about this approach was the lack of opportunity to buy great companies when they went on sale. So I moved a portion out of ETF's and built out a second portfolio individual equities late last year. BMO, BNS, SU, ENB, MFI, FTT, RCI, ABX, MSC, SJR, etc. Not sure if I'll be able to beat the index tbh, but I wanted more control. Off to a smashing start, this portfolio is up 34% but I know that will not last forever. Have to be incredibily disciplined about what I buy.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Rip to all the investors who listened to Dave Portnoy to buy PENN when it was in the 120’s.

im glad I added today

I was tempted today as well, but this was an 18 dollar stock 1 year ago. Long term hold you should be golden but I would expect lots of volatility this year.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I was tempted today as well, but this was an 18 dollar stock 1 year ago. Long term hold you should be golden but I would expect lots of volatility this year.

yup a lot of volatility, my avg is in the 50s before today. Waiting on DKNG to go down some to add more there too

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Has anybody else been printing money with Canadian oil stocks?

I don't own any Canadian ones but have done real well with SLB as I got it at 14ish. I have a small amount of OXY and sold out of XOM a bit too soon but made money there as well. In the past 20 years, have really done well with oil stocks so I should have looked it getting more last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->