OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I’m thinking of getting into BTC but worried it’ll crash sometime this year or next. There seems to be cycles of big crashes every few years and don’t want to get in when it’s this high. What do you think?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I’m thinking of getting into BTC but worried it’ll crash sometime this year or next. There seems to be cycles of big crashes every few years and don’t want to get in when it’s this high. What do you think?

I got in when it was ATH and crashed by 8% few days after.

Keep money to buy the dip. Cry but don't sell.

I'm currently at 7-8% profit

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Just put money you don't care to lose in Bitcoin. Personally I put 500$, but it could more or less depending on your view of what's the amount you do not care to lose. It also depends on what you have, of course. 500$ for me is a bearable loss, for others it could be their whole portfolio, or their lunch money.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I kinda want to go back in LINK after selling for profit. I don't know if LINK, ADA or OMI is the better play.

I don't know Link.

OMI still have room to go down. But it's a long term as you may know.
Founders vested 18bn of tokens as of last Sunday
A total of 75bn in the next 12 months.

ADA I'm basing on the "hype". Started selling but slowed down because I feel it can go to 2-3 $ soon.

1.7 has good support and with the correction, ADA held the best among equivalent alt coins.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No idea if this is the right place, but there's no financial thread.

Just curiously, has anyone ever built a house here ? We just sold a Montreal property for a few hundred grands of profit. We found a pretty great lot in the suburbs. Big, almost in the forest, high end neighborhood.

But, most of my friends are buying houses as the neighborhoods they're looking for have no available lots. No idea if it makes sense financially to get something built vs buying a high end house. There's so little available stock on the market that we're finding it hard to find the right house in the right neighborhood.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015

Just curiously, has anyone ever built a house here ? We just sold a Montreal property for a few hundred grands of profit. We found a pretty great lot in the suburbs. Big, almost in the forest, high end neighborhood.

But, most of my friends are buying houses as the neighborhoods they're looking for have no available lots. No idea if it makes sense financially to get something built vs buying a high end house. There's so little available stock on the market that we're finding it hard to find the right house in the right neighborhood.

It's not a good time to build; the price of building materials, especially lumber, is hyperinflated due to tight supply via COVID. Be patient if you can...you will save a lot of money if you can hold off until next year.

Reactions: Andrei79

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It's not a good time to build; the price of building materials, especially lumber, is hyperinflated due to tight supply via COVID. Be patient if you can...you will save a lot of money if you can hold off until next year.

I'll echo that thought, it's expensive now relatively speaking. I ruled out new homes after looking into it, but I'm not as fortunate as @Andrei79 in that I had to deal with a builder who bought a whole wackload of land to build onto in 2022. Word of caution, some builders will integrate wording in contracts whereby they can jack the price on you with no notice due to building materials. And no provide anything tangible as evidence/math then when they do it. Crazy.

A 'custom' builder on individual lots like this would be a different experience. But still expensive.

Reactions: Andrei79

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I've loaded up for a big summer. If it does dip I don't think it will be like last time and even if it is, it has shown enough at this point that it is here to stay long term.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I kinda want to go back in LINK after selling for profit. I don't know if LINK, ADA or OMI is the better play.

I think any are a great investment, I own all of the above.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
They are. I own so many cryptos though, I wonder if concentrating would be smarter lol.

Honestly it probably is, I'm in the same boat. I'm in at least 20 right now, when I take profit I buy more when I know I should be feeding my ETH pool instead. I figure the bull run ends in Sept, I think I'm done buying for now. I'll always buy more OMI at these prices and Bepro.. but I'm probably done for a while now.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'll echo that thought, it's expensive now relatively speaking. I ruled out new homes after looking into it, but I'm not as fortunate as @Andrei79 in that I had to deal with a builder who bought a whole wackload of land to build onto in 2022. Word of caution, some builders will integrate wording in contracts whereby they can jack the price on you with no notice due to building materials. And no provide anything tangible as evidence/math then when they do it. Crazy.

A 'custom' builder on individual lots like this would be a different experience. But still expensive.

Thanks guys, makes sense. I figured the cost right now would be ridiculous. Ive been watching how much new "prestige" type houses are going for and it's kind of ridiculous compared to already built homes with similar living spaces (and usually bigger lots).

I guess with the market we'll likely overpay/pay a much higher price than we wanted, but somewhere we'll be able to live for 30 years.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Honestly it probably is, I'm in the same boat. I'm in at least 20 right now, when I take profit I buy more when I know I should be feeding my ETH pool instead. I figure the bull run ends in Sept, I think I'm done buying for now. I'll always buy more OMI at these prices and Bepro.. but I'm probably done for a while now.
So I did the only sensible thing and dipped all my profits from ADA and ETH into Doge.

I can afford to gamble, who cares.

Reactions: llamateizer

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Tends to dip and rise 5% and there is unlimited buys and sells.

I would throw a couple hundred and Safemoon and Shiba too. Longshots, but ya never know.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
So I did the only sensible thing and dipped all my profits from ADA and ETH into Doge.

I can afford to gamble, who cares.

Yup, you'll do well. ADA is going to rocket up, I just swing trade DOGE every other day now and seem to make a healthy return.
My portfolio is rediculous right now, I'll sell most when alt season is over and put it into ETH and BTC for the winter. I'll stake CAKE and Bunny all winter as well, and my smaller alt coins too.

Reactions: llamateizer

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

I have built 8 cottages over the last seven years, two of them this year. Just getting some of the materials, like windows and metal roofing, has been troublesome. For the first one, I had to custom order the windows, for the second, two months later, I could get them "off the shelf". I had to look around for the roofing, my preferred supplier has it on a 6 week backorder. Lumber has gone up by 500% the last 7 years. Also, with the health measures in place, everything takes longer, neighbours are afraid of non-local contractors, etc. Just lots more headaches.

But it can be done, and I will be glad when they are finished.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I got hit hard also yesterday.

What do you will happen with BRK.b long term with Buffett buying back many of their shares? I know short term stock has responded well. But not sure long term.

Short term buy back has positive effect but not mid term. I won't be stressed by this kind of move.

CSCO did a buy back 2 years ago and was not well seen.
Recently CSCO took a good turn and going over the 52 weeks high.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have built 8 cottages over the last seven years, two of them this year. Just getting some of the materials, like windows and metal roofing, has been troublesome. For the first one, I had to custom order the windows, for the second, two months later, I could get them "off the shelf". I had to look around for the roofing, my preferred supplier has it on a 6 week backorder. Lumber has gone up by 500% the last 7 years. Also, with the health measures in place, everything takes longer, neighbours are afraid of non-local contractors, etc. Just lots more headaches.

But it can be done, and I will be glad when they are finished.

Thanks a lot guys, this makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad