OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've rewatched the first show of this season's Ray Donovan and became more acutely aware of certain nuances I had missed.

The removal of his wife from the show, was totally necessary. Too bad it took a whole season to get it done.

This season's Ray Donovan is more interesting. Let's just say he doesn't have the same type of appearance that he had over the prior seasons and I won't go into it any further than that not to spoil it.

I think this season looks more promising than I initially thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've rewatched Ray Donovan and became more acutely aware of certain nuances I had missed.

The removal of his wife from the show, was totally necessary. Too bad it took a whole season to get it done.

This season's Ray Donovan is more interesting. Let's just say he doesn't have the same type of appearance that he had over the prior seasons and I won't go into it any further than that not to spoil it.

I haven't watched it yet...so disappointed with last season. I was actually skipping most of the scenes of flashbacks with the wife.
They have to change some of their plot as its getting quite old and repetitive.
Is Ray going to crack a couple smiles this season or will he remain to least happy human on the planet again?

Reactions: 417

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
I happened on this post in another thread and seeing how we occasionally discuss 4K TV sets, I thought I'd ask the poster more directly, what prompted his choice:

Since I didn't want to derail the thread you were posting in, may I ask what's been your experience with the model you settled upon and whether gaming was your main motivation? My understanding is that it is a tad early to invest in 4K TV on account of stations being late to broadcasting in 4K and that there is still too little in terms of channel content to justify the purchase.

There isn't much available on cable in 4K. I've had a 55 inch Samsung Ultra HD for 2 years now and quite honestly I regret not buying a regular Full HD tv for quite a bit less. Unless you buy an insanely big screen or are sitting really close to your TV, you won't see a difference, at least most won't. I've had netflix 4K and wasn't wowed. Amazon Prime streams at 4K and a few times I paused an episode to check if what I was watching was in 4K or regular HD. For gaming, I believe the difference is much more noticeable though provided you have a 4K PS4 or the XBox One X.

I don't think it is worth the upgrade just yet as I don't think broadcasters will embrace 4K any time soon.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Had held off watching Fargo for some time, but finally got around to it and finished season 1 and finished episode 1 of season 2. I really enjoyed it. I know season 2 & 3 are different stories, but I hope they're just as good as season 1. Anybody else liked it?

Noticed several actors from BB/BCS. Odenkirk, Julie Ann Emery, Ann Cusack and that dumb-looking dude who played Todd.

Really liked Billy Bob as Malvo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
the guilty: 7.5/10 One of the best movies of the year so far.

when the last sword is drawn: 7.4/10

Thunder Road : 6.8/10

That's a low rating for The Guilty, given how you say it's one of the best this year.

Is it because this year's best movies are not as good as past years?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The Haunting of Hill House has been pretty good till now, gets a solid 7.5/10 on the scare-o-meter.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
That's a low rating for The Guilty, given how you say it's one of the best this year.

Is it because this year's best movies are not as good as past years?

The Guilty has some flaws and the year (until the oscar) is still young.

My ranking so far this year

deadpool 2
avengers infinity war
isle of dogs
MI6
black panther
the guilty
upgrade
a quiet place

A lot of the Oscar favorite are still to come:

Cold war
shoplifters
Roma
Green book
the favorite

still to Watch

a star is born
searching

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Had held off watching Fargo for some time, but finally got around to it and finished season 1 and finished episode 1 of season 2. I really enjoyed it. I know season 2 & 3 are different stories, but I hope they're just as good as season 1. Anybody else liked it?

Noticed several actors from BB/BCS. Odenkirk, Julie Ann Emery, Ann Cusack and that dumb-looking dude who played Todd.

Really liked Billy Bob as Malvo.
I really got in to season 1 of Fargo. I thought all of the lead actors (Allison Tolman, Martin Freeman, and as you said Billy Bob) in S1 were spot on. Season two was good too, but I liked it a little less than the first.

I'm just starting to watch S3 on Netflix now, about 3 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've rewatched the first show of this season's Ray Donovan and became more acutely aware of certain nuances I had missed.

Man...I used to love this show until they dragged out that storyline, so much so I just stopped watching.

Now i'm intrigued, i'll try picking it up again where I left off.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I haven't watched it yet...so disappointed with last season. I was actually skipping most of the scenes of flashbacks with the wife.
They have to change some of their plot as its getting quite old and repetitive.
Is Ray going to crack a couple smiles this season or will he remain to least happy human on the planet again?
Maybe give him a bit more lines to say other than 1 word answers?

Person A "Ray I need your help, can you do this for me"

Ray Donovan "Sure"

Person B "Ray can you pick up so and so for me"

Ray Donovan "Sure"

Person C "Ray, you miss Abbey don't you?"
Ray Donovan "Sure"

Abbey "Ray, my p***y hurts"
Ray Donovan "Sure"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe give him a bit more lines to say other than 1 word answers?

Person A "Ray I need your help, can you do this for me"

Ray Donovan "Sure"

Person B "Ray can you pick up so and so for me"

Ray Donovan "Sure"

Person C "Ray, you miss Abbey don't you?"
Ray Donovan "Sure"

Abbey "Ray, my p***y hurts"
Ray Donovan "Sure"
Ya. We get it...Ray is a very sad and disturbed man...Time to evolve or let the show die.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
wow that Sandler netflix special is actually really funny. it could be one of the funniest things he's ever did if not the funniest. i haven't watched a sandler movie in years but it would be nice if he could put something really funny together like his first couple. maybe there are ones but i just haven't seen them.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Demain des hommes season 1: 7.8/10 Good first season about a fictionnal QMJHL team. Available on tou.tv.

House of cards season 6: 6.8/10 Still a top notch production (cinematography and acting) but the plot is a mess. The season add very little to the show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man...I used to love this show until they dragged out that storyline, so much so I just stopped watching.

Now i'm intrigued, i'll try picking it up again where I left off.

It's back on track. If you liked it before, there's a good chance you'll like it again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
wow that Sandler netflix special is actually really funny. it could be one of the funniest things he's ever did if not the funniest. i haven't watched a sandler movie in years but it would be nice if he could put something really funny together like his first couple. maybe there are ones but i just haven't seen them.

I have hated most of Sandler's "work" with a passion. One of the movies I enjoyed the most from him, was Little Nicky. For once, when Sandler does his silly cringeworthy voices, it fits right in. So many giffable segments and great one-liners.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those of you who are subscribed to TMN, have you noticed how it's been rebranded as "Crave"?

There are certain implications: Nov 1 | The Movie Network (TMN) and CraveTV are... | Shaw Support

Apparently the Encore channel will be removed but you can get it back -- you guessed it -- by paying extra.

What does it all mean?

Canadians can finally stream new HBO shows without a cable subscription
Bell Media is combining The Movie Network, HBO Canada and CraveTV into one streaming service: Crave

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody, one of the more entertaining movies I've watched this year

Malek is pretty incredible as Freddie

See some critics are ripping it for what it left out or timelines etc... but you're going to have that in every biopic when you have to cram a lifetime into 2 hours

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Those of you who are subscribed to TMN, have you noticed how it's been rebranded as "Crave"?

There are certain implications: Nov 1 | The Movie Network (TMN) and CraveTV are... | Shaw Support

Apparently the Encore channel will be removed but you can get it back -- you guessed it -- by paying extra.

What does it all mean?

Bell Media is combining The Movie Network, HBO Canada and CraveTV into one streaming service: Crave

About time. They were sending email to people downloading GoT telling them they could watch the show in Canada on Cravetv while there was absolutely no way to watch the show in canada unless you subscribed to TMN.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I have hated most of Sandler's "work" with a passion. One of the movies I enjoyed the most from him, was Little Nicky. For once, when Sandler does his silly cringeworthy voices, it fit right in. So many giffable segments and great one-liners.

The best movie by Sandler's is imo Reign over me. I think his comedy work is pretty bad personally. Maybe i just don't get americans humor.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I have hated most of Sandler's "work" with a passion. One of the movies I enjoyed the most from him, was Little Nicky. For once, when Sandler does his silly cringeworthy voices, it fit right in. So many giffable segments and great one-liners.

I have a couple friends who i find very funny who say that's a good one. I've seen the last bit of that one a while ago.

The problem for me from waterboy onward was he'd just seem to create these annoying characters in his goofy movies or he'd just do rom coms. The best it seems was when he'd be himself but in a goofy movie like madison or gilmore. Wish he'd get back to that. punch drunk love was great.

I haven't seen those 2 in awhile but i really think this comedy special is the best thing he's done. his first couple comedy albums were pretty funny. i liked them but not quite loved them. first one being better. i actually think this special is far superior. it's bizarre that he's actually gotten funnier which you wouldn't think. i think this was a real concerted effort to do something really good after being roasted endlessly by almost everyone for the better part of 20 years.

he's one of the few people who can make comedy songs actually funny and he has probably 10 of them at least and they're all varying degrees of funny and i'm biased hard against comedy songs. i loved flight of the conchords but i would often fast forward through the songs. a couple were okay. sandler's are just so goofy you can't help but laugh.

right now i'm also into comedians who are just flat out trying to be funny instead of being 2nd or 3rd rate smart. i'd take brian regan over bill hicks 10 times out of 10. i tried stanhope but i couldn't get past the first couple minutes.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Perhaps intentional, it is named "The Lower East Side" - the Island Tony called home for as long as I've watched him.

The last episode of the show shook me to my very core. I understand, it was a testament to what Anthony was as a TV person. But, still, it was the most impact-full episode of any show he's ever done because it told you so much about the person. To my personal surprise, the crew of PU didn't sugarcoat it. That will remain with me forever remembering Anthony.

"He was a dick. But he was OUR dick."

P.S. I will raise hell if Lawsons isn't carrying the egg sandwich when I'm in Japan early next year. :(
I could recognize the exact outlet from the last episode and I will be sure to visit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad