OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I happened on this post in another thread and seeing how we occasionally discuss 4K TV sets, I thought I'd ask the poster more directly, what prompted his choice:

Since I didn't want to derail the thread you were posting in, may I ask what's been your experience with the model you settled upon and whether gaming was your main motivation? My understanding is that it is a tad early to invest in 4K TV on account of stations being late to broadcasting in 4K and that there is still too little in terms of channel content to justify the purchase.

I am eyeing this bad boy:

Costco Wholesale

I think considering the size, the price is pretty good. I'm still holding out until Black Friday but there is about a 75% of me getting this model.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah... maybe I'm just a dunce, but I did not see what the big deal was at all for that movie.

While I am sitting around being unimpressed, Arrival did nothing for me as well as Interstellar. I am a Nolan fan and outside of the Dark Knight, I immensely enjoyed Inception, Memento and Dunkirk, but Interstellar just bored me.
Interstellar & Arrival are on my Top 10 worst hyped movies off all time. Thanks for the heads up on Annihilation, will give that a miss

Reactions: Mrb1p and sandviper

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah... maybe I'm just a dunce, but I did not see what the big deal was at all for that movie.

While I am sitting around being unimpressed, Arrival did nothing for me as well as Interstellar. I am a Nolan fan and outside of the Dark Knight, I immensely enjoyed Inception, Memento and Dunkirk, but Interstellar just bored me.

See I loved Arrival and Interstellar. They told powerful human stories while balancing space/time and the sciences in a unique fashion. I felt Annihilation tried way too hard to do the same.

With Halloween coming, what are some people’s favourite scary movies? Last year I watched Robert Eggers’ The Witch. Absolutely amazing. It won’t be for everyone, but what an ambiance.

Reactions: dinodebino

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That halloween themed intro on netflix... when you just want to put on Paw Patrol at 7AM for the little brat...

Yikes!

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
See I loved Arrival and Interstellar. They told powerful human stories while balancing space/time and the sciences in a unique fashion. I felt Annihilation tried way too hard to do the same.

With Halloween coming, what are some people’s favourite scary movies? Last year I watched Robert Eggers’ The Witch. Absolutely amazing. It won’t be for everyone, but what an ambiance.
The witch was pretty good.

I liked Malevolent, The Forest, The invitation and Heredetary.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Interstellar was so fin bad. I was so, so, so hyped for it and I was pretty angry at the movie.

Well, there was kind of an interesting story in there, IMO. But the movie was littered with so much bull****, it was hard to give them a pass every time.

But yeah, let's not go there too much. Geeks are lurking around here. :laugh:

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, there was kind of an interesting story in there, IMO. But the movie was littered with so much bull****, it was hard to give them a pass every time.

But yeah, let's not go there too much. Geeks are lurking around here. :laugh:
I had a lot of heated arguments back then ITT. People were sucking on Nolans nipples hardcore, but a lot also agreed it was bad.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hadn't been paying attention to what's new on HBO.

And sure enough, another season of Ray Donovan is upon us.

They began with the dreaded "previously on Ray Donovan" -- a retrospective of last year's atrocious season in what has otherwise been a gripping show that has long caused GoodKiwi's dial meter to explode. :sarcasm:

The good news: barely a peep about his wife in this season's first offering. The better news: without giving away too much, they go back to hitting a few high notes with a formula that has worked for the show.

Is there still a reason for the this show? People continue to f*** up and still need a fixer. And guess who is still around to mop things up. The theme has gotten long in the tooth and tired. Something else will have to give.

I like Liev Schreiber's acting and have grown to like some of the regulars. I'm just looking to be surprised at this point even if I can't help but think they're just laying down the same formula that has worked for the show early on. Fan backlash must have been through the roof when they dropped the ball last season. I hope they didn't take that to mean that they just needed to go back to what worked in prior seasons, to make this right. It's been done, take it in a different direction. We'll see.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Obligatory shout out for people to check out The Wailing (2016) for a great exorcism style horror jam.

552-ho00004763.jpg

It's a very good movie. Definitely recommended.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If you don't mind subtitles or you understand Eller's mother tongue, a fantastic flick to catch is THE GUILTY. It's a thriller about a Danish 9-1-1 call operator (or 1-1-2 in Denmark) and it takes place in one office. Well, two offices actually but it's an emotional roller coaster with twists and turns that will leave you out of breath and stunned by all the surprises.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched an exclusive screening of Bohemian Rhapsody on Friday and found it was rather average. I thought and expected so much more but I found the movie didn’t focus enough on the people. Music was great but the story left me wanting more.

In contrast, I watched A Star is Born Saturday and was incredibly impressed. I basically forgot I was watching a movie. I was shocked how well Lady Gaga acted and her and Cooper had fantastic chemistry. I know it’s a remake of a remake and the story itself isn’t anything new, but the delivery and the portrayal of characters as people really engaged me.

Bohemian Rhapsody 6/10 (honestly felt it was a 5 but gave it 1 more for the music)

A Star is Born 8.5/10 (this should clean up at the Oscars)

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Noticed the reviews weren't great but I liked Free State of Jones.

A touch of Josey Wales, Robin Hood and Mississippi Burning .

Interesting true story.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Interstellar & Arrival are on my Top 10 worst hyped movies off all time. Thanks for the heads up on Annihilation, will give that a miss

I agree about Interstellar but I thought Arrival was Ok, like 3 stars.
The casting of McConaughey in Interstellar was not a good fit, after a while my arse started to hurt, that is usually a good sign that I don't like a movie.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In other news, Ive started Bodyguard. Pretty good. Loved that second episode and the intrigue just keeps me going.

Also is Richard Madden a manlet? He looks like one.

Keeley Hawes is absolutely smoking, too. Sophie Rundle, too.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I know this isn't about film but I thought it was interesting.

Canada’s most beautifully built city

Represent!

Bow down to Da Best city.

Seriously even though Le Vieux Québec looks good cause of the old architecture, I always thought Québec was a weirdly "arranged" city. I wish it was a proper city, like a US city where there's a clear view that this is the city, there's a clearer demarcation where the city start and ends. This what I found shocking when I went to Ottawa by hitchiking as a teenager where the highway would end when you were entering the city. I was like "now this is a proper city!". Although it was a little boring. Maybe you need to be a mess to be exciting? lol

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
In other news, Ive started Bodyguard. Pretty good. Loved that second episode and the intrigue just keeps me going.

Also is Richard Madden a manlet? He looks like one.

Keeley Hawes is absolutely smoking, too. Sophie Rundle, too.

Read somewhere that Madden is in consideration for the next Bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad