OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The show is going to tank, and tank hard, after its first two seasons. There's simply no resurrecting it after those.

It was very enjoyable during its first 1.5 seasons, but that all went down the drain quicker than anyone could imagine.

Anyone watched the British original? I loved it it.

Reactions: Fenris

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm aware of the original game. My comparison was to the original Tomb Raider films. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that.

Regardless, I felt let down by pretty much everything about that film.

I didn't like the super-heroish former Tomb Raider franchise but I liked this new movie. I remember back then what i disliked greatly about the era of Jolies and Resident Evil of fermale actioner was that they were the Stallone/Arnold with tits. By the end of the 80s, I was sick of Arnold and Sly-type action movies cause they were invincible and had no flaws and yet they were praising these female actioners cause they were females, nevermind that they were the same as the type the male characters I had enough of aka one dimensional.

I cannot say the new one was great entertainment but good for a rental. I appreciated the more realistic "I am in pain" approach. Sort of like a female John Mcclane. And Vikander in my opinion is a better actress than Jolie.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I didn't like the super-heroish former Tomb Raider franchise but I liked this new movie. I remember back then what i disliked greatly about the era of Jolies and Resident Evil of fermale actioner was that they were the Stallone/Arnold with ****. By the end of the 80s, I was sick of Arnold and Sly-type action movies cause they were invincible and had no flaws and yet they were praising these female actioners cause they were females, nevermind that they were the same as the type the male characters I had enough of aka one dimensional.

I cannot say the new one was great entertainment but good for a rental. I appreciated the more realistic "I am in pain" approach. Sort of like a female John Mcclane. And Vikander in my opinion is a better actress than Jolie.

There's a reasonable expectation that movies in a series with a common hero/heroine are consistent in the character, style and degree of realism.

I didn't hate the film in a vacuum - but it was like watching a Bond film where Bond doesn't kill anyone and speaks in religious parables. It's inconsistent with Tomb Raider's raison d'etre.

Outside of that, the script was trite and tired.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm so into The Man In the High Castle right now! :popcorn:

The conversation between Inspector Kido and Nobusuke Tagomi at the end of EP7.... I had to re-watch it about ten times in a row. There's this integrity within the Kenpeitai higher ranked officials that it just mesmerizing to watch on screen.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's a reasonable expectation that movies in a series with a common hero/heroine are consistent in the character, style and degree of realism.

I didn't hate the film in a vacuum - but it was like watching a Bond film where Bond doesn't kill anyone and speaks in religious parables. It's inconsistent with Tomb Raider's raison d'etre.

Outside of that, the script was trite and tired.

Yet I found it refreshing. Different strokes, dude. :D

Also in many ways I have waited for a more realistc Bond for ages. I thought the Craig era was going to be that but it wasn't.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yet I found it refreshing. Different strokes, dude. :D

I liked the potential of the new film, but found it lacking. I did like the more grounded approach and how Croft wasn’t a super-human, but I think the movie could had been much more. The whole 4th act reminded me of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I liked the potential of the new film, but found it lacking. I did like the more grounded approach and how Croft wasn’t a super-human, but I think the movie could had been much more. The whole 4th act reminded me of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

The Last Crusade but without the awesomeness.

It's a movie that had the right approach but didn't have the best script. The lost father idea is a mixed bag in that it's a fun idea but it has been done so many times before in various stories. I knew almost all he was going to say to her before he said it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The Last Crusade but without the awesomeness.

It's a movie that had the right approach but didn't have the best script. The lost father idea is a mixed bag in that it's a fun idea but it has been done so many times before in various stories. I knew almost all he was going to say to her before he said it.

Damn, thinking about it... I loved the Last Crusade. That said, maybe it was because I disliked Temple of Doom so much.

I didn’t hate Tomb Raider at all but did expect more, I dunno, tomb raiding. I thought it would had been a nice twist to have the father turn out to be the villain, though that would be another idea done many times before.

I did like this more than Jolie’s Tomb Raider movies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Had to quit watching "Maniac" after one episode. That's not because I don't think the mini-series is good. It struck a personal nerve and made me feel very uneasy to the point where I could not continue. And maybe that's the exact point that it set out to drive across.

P.S. The imagery here is stunning. One of the best cameras I've ever seen. It's a study, it's the lens that are ever-present. They almost weigh on you as a viewer. Very impressive stuff from my limited exposure to it. Truly unique work by Fukunaga.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had to quit watching "Maniac" after one episode. That's not because I don't think the mini-series is good. It struck a personal nerve and made me feel very uneasy to the point where I could not continue. And maybe that's the exact point that it set out to drive across.

P.S. The imagery here is stunning. One of the best cameras I've ever seen. It's a study, it's the lens that are ever-present. They almost weigh on you as a viewer. Very impressive stuff from my limited exposure to it. Truly unique work by Fukunaga.

Ugh ... that name, tho. It's like using an expletive and the "n" word at the same time. :laugh:

I imagine that guy traveling in the US, getting asked for his name and just as he blurts it out -- he'd better get a head start outta there.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Ugh ... that name, tho. It's like using an expletive and the "n" word at the same time. :laugh:

I imagine that guy traveling in the US, getting asked for his name and just as he blurts it out -- he'd better get a head start outta there.
:)

I am most familiar with his work from "Beasts of No Nation". His work has this anxious quality to it that makes it very difficult to watch for me (I struggle with anxiety).

He went bonkers with Maniac, at least in the episode I saw. It made me want to curl up into a fetal position.

Always knew Jonah Hill has been largely miscast with his comedic roles. He always excels much more in dramatic ones IMO. Can't say I am qualified to judge his overall performance, but he was really really good from what I saw of him in Maniac. Emma Stone, not so much, but, again, I've had very limited exposure.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There is a Columbo playing right now at Prise 2. A 1972 Columbo. Look what happen to an arrogant millionnaire in his swimming pool when he says to his football dg (played by Robert Culp) that hockey is for Pingoins.
A dg that was planning to buy a hockey team based in Montreal Canada.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There is a Columbo playing right now at Prise 2. A 1972 Columbo. Look what happen to an arrogant millionnaire in his swimming pool when he says to his football dg (played by Robert Culp) that hockey is for Pingoins.
A dg that was planning to buy a hockey team based in Montreal Canada.

Interesting. I'm a big fan of Columbo. Well I became a big fan in the summer of 2017 when I was ill and did not have the patience to watch movies. I would just record multiple Columbo episodes on Prise 2. I became an addict of the show. lol

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Interesting. I'm a big fan of Columbo. Well I became a big fan in the summer of 2017 when I was ill and did not have the patience to watch movies. I would just record multiple Columbo episodes on Prise 2. I became an addict of the show. lol
That show won many grammy awards in the 70's. Directors such as Speilberg and Cassavetes directed Columbos. I love every episode when Patrick McGoohan is in that show. The format of the show is in between a regular tv show and a movie. Each episode last 1 hour and half. What I like about 1970's show is they were more realistic. In the 1960's the language was still theater like, it sounded fake compare to the street talking. Columbo is one example of the acters studio taking place on tv shows. Nothing to compare with movies such as Midnight Cowboy or Godfather but for a tv show, at the time, that was a good show.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That show won many grammy awards in the 70's. Directors such as Speilberg and Cassavetes directed Columbos. I love every episode when Patrick McGoohan is in that show. The format of the show is in between a regular tv show and a movie. Each episode last 1 hour and half. What I like about 1970's show is they were more realistic. In the 1960's the language was still theater like, it sounded fake compare to the street talking. Columbo is one example of the acters studio taking place on tv shows. Nothing to compare with movies such as Midnight Cowboy or Godfather but for a tv show, at the time, that was a good show.

There are still theatrical performances that I find funny, esp. when they used to hire old school actors who happen to be the villains. You're like hey, you don't have to do any investigations, it's obvious who did it. There was this episode with Johnny Cash in his prime. I was shocked to see him in something like this and he was a murderer too but I guess he was a fan of the show. I love how at the end he didn't even bother locking him up or anything. I thought it was graceful as Hell. johnny was also pretty good acting-wise too.

For years I didn't like Columbo, my mom loved it when I was a kid but I could never make sense of any of the investigations and then I always thought Columbo would pull everything out if his ass at the last minute. My problem was, I picked it up in the middle, not realising that the concept of Columbo was not a who-done-it, the shows always started with the viewer clearly seeing the murder happen in the beginning. So you know going on who did it. It's just a matter of how Columbo will reveal it that's the fun of it.

So as someone who didn't care for it at first, something must have lured me to it last year, a subject matter or maybe an actor or actress that I liked that was in an episode, I don't remember. But having recorded it, I watched it from the beginning and I finally got it. lol

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Started watching the expanse because I'm sick and that's what I pretty much need to binge watch a show these days. Not bad, I'm about halfway through the 2nd season. 7.386/10.

Oh, also started watching the haunting of hill house and it's actually legitimately decent horror, which is rare these days. Not dependant on jump scares and does a good job building tension and atmosphere. 7.8333/10. Would recommend.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There are still theatrical performances that I find funny, esp. when they used to hire old school actors who happen to be the villains.
They often use those actors and ask them to have an east-european accent to exagerate the theatrical play, to make it funny, burlesque or just to make you hate the villain. Like in James Bond movies. Devito in the first Batman or Martin Landau in Ed Wood playing Bela Legosi. Best performance ever !!
There was this episode with Johnny Cash in his prime. I was shocked to see him in something like this and he was a murderer too but I guess he was a fan of the show. I love how at the end he didn't even bother locking him up or anything. I thought it was graceful as Hell. johnny was also pretty good acting-wise too.
The Johnny Cash episode is one of my favorite and all time Columbo fans. He plays a character that have a similar life. His play is so close to reality. It's like watching cinema verité, it's a polaroid of what people were in the 70's.
For years I didn't like Columbo, my mom loved it when I was a kid but I could never make sense of any of the investigations and then I always thought Columbo would pull everything out if his ass at the last minute. My problem was, I picked it up in the middle, not realising that the concept of Columbo was not a who-done-it, the shows always started with the viewer clearly seeing the murder happen in the beginning. So you know going on who did it. It's just a matter of how Columbo will reveal it that's the fun of it.

So as someone who didn't care for it at first, something must have lured me to it last year, a subject matter or maybe an actor or actress that I liked that was in an episode, I don't remember. But having recorded it, I watched it from the beginning and I finally got it. lol
I must be older than you. What I liked when I saw the show in the 70's was to see actors I missed from tv shows that ended in let's say 1969. So I could see again Patrick McGoohan, Robert Vaughn, Ed Albert, Leonard Nimoy, Robert Culp, etc. I forgot the show for a decade or two. I started to like the show again in 1995. I prefer the first seasons to the second generation of Columbos in the late 80's. I also like Monk a lot. Both shows are totally different but similar in a certain way.

We see who did the murder first and I always wonder why that serie was so popular when every other serie we have to guess who did it like Mannix or Dan August would do.
The success comes from a very well written story. Columbo will solve detail by detail, he avoids wrong path, he plays a chess game with the murderer. He's very wise and he looks so much like an ordinary low class dude. It makes you think that even you can do it. Just look at his old rusty Peugeot and the most horrible beige rain coat. It's a joke. Every question knocks the murderer like a water drop chinese torture. I see Columbo as a working class hero knocking a high-society arrogant villain. He's an ugly Robin Hood but he's lovable, he can be your next door buddy.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
They often use those actors and ask them to have an east-european accent to exagerate the theatrical play, to make it funny, burlesque or just to make you hate the villain. Like in James Bond movies. Devito in the first Batman or Martin Landau in Ed Wood playing Bela Legosi. Best performance ever !!

The Johnny Cash episode is one of my favorite and all time Columbo fans. He plays a character that have a similar life. His play is so close to reality. It's like watching cinema verité, it's a polaroid of what people were in the 70's.

I must be older than you. What I liked when I saw the show in the 70's was to see actors I missed from tv shows that ended in let's say 1969. So I could see again Patrick McGoohan, Robert Vaughn, Ed Albert, Leonard Nimoy, Robert Culp, etc. I forgot the show for a decade or two. I started to like the show again in 1995. I prefer the first seasons to the second generation of Columbos in the late 80's. I also like Monk a lot. Both shows are totally different but similar in a certain way.

Seeing the who's who of these great actors from another generation is incredible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the sort to say that they were better back then, but you just don't see that level of excellence nowadays. Especially on cop shows. But you can see that the older shows are of a higher quality than the newest from the late 80s. No doubt.

We see who did the murder first and I always wonder why that serie was so popular when every other serie we have to guess who did it like Mannix or Dan August would do.
The success comes from a very well written story. Columbo will solve detail by detail, he avoids wrong path, he plays a chess game with the murderer. He's very wise and he looks so much like an ordinary low class dude. It makes you think that even you can do it. Just look at his old rusty Peugeot and the most horrible beige rain coat. It's a joke. Every question knocks the murderer like a water drop chinese torture. I see Columbo as a working class hero knocking a high-society arrogant villain. He's an ugly Robin Hood but he's lovable, he can be your next door buddy.

And when I was not into the show and didn't get it, that whole Columbo persona was annoying me. lol I was telling the villains "kill him, please kill him, he knows it's you, fool!".

But when I got into the show, I started to like that sort of underdog thing.

Another thing I wanted to say it's that a few weeks ago i watched one of the early Columbo and he was flirting with a young woman and she was into him and this is something we didn't get for most of the other shows i watched, it was weird seeing a different vibe from Colombo, I had not realised that when he was younger that he was actually not a bad looking man. We see him mostly as this beatdog middle age guy but it wasn't always the case. It made things more interesting as there was this sexual tension where she was playing with him and he was playing with her too.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Another thing I wanted to say it's that a few weeks ago i watched one of the early Columbo and he was flirting with a young woman and she was into him and this is something we didn't get for most of the other shows i watched, it was weird seeing a different vibe from Colombo, I had not realised that when he was younger that he was actually not a bad looking man. We see him mostly as this beatdog middle age guy but it wasn't always the case. It made things more interesting as there was this sexual tension where she was playing with him and he was playing with her too.
I know that episode. It's the second pilot episode in 1970. The very first pilot in 1967 didn't get success and the serie couldn't never go after. This is when the woman shows Columbo how to drive a plane and she tells him to be gentle with the plane like with a woman. The murderer woman is very attractive and Columbo plays a seduction game with her. It happens in the early episode of series that the caracter is not quite set up. The serie gets his pace after that episode and they introduce more funny scenes involving his look, his car, his dog, his cigar, etc. There is one episode he have a cold and is sneezing all the time. Another episode he shows up at the gate of a movie studio and the gard tells him the cars to be destroyed are next alley left. They include some jokes here and there.

We always think he is very old but in the first season he was 43 yrs old. In some scenes he have to run, he also swing a pretty good golf stick. He wasn't that ugly or maybe we get used to his face. He was one eye glass, one eye that doesn't move.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What I like about 1970's show is they were more realistic. In the 1960's the language was still theater like, it sounded fake compare to the street talking. Columbo is one example of the acters studio taking place on tv shows.

Just picking up on a point unrelated to Columbo, I've always hated how the acting in early era of TV productions featured actors who over-acted, who were over-projecting as if they were delivering their lines from a stage at a broadway theater and too many scenes end up in shouting matches and cacophony. The lines were mostly delivered in a wooden fashion with exchanges that allowed for interminable dialogue where long lines were spoken, making a scene static and irritating to watch. And where there are limited scenes that take place outside a studio, which adds to the artificiality of the experience.

Of course, there are exceptions but'I tend to always be reticent to get into older TV shows for the above reasons.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just picking up on a point unrelated to Columbo, I've always hated how the acting in early era of TV productions featured actors who over-acted, who were over-projecting as if they were delivering their lines from a stage at a broadway theater and too many scenes end up in shouting matches and cacophony. The lines were mostly delivered in a wooden fashion with exchanges that allowed for interminable dialogue where long lines were spoken, making a scene static and irritating to watch. And where there are limited scenes that take place outside a studio, which adds to the artificiality of the experience.

Of course, there are exceptions but'I tend to always be reticent to get into older TV shows for the above reasons.

The genre also matters though as acting has changed a lot in even just 10 years. I find sci-fi is most guilty of poor acting most times.

I’m a fan of Star Trek Discovery and while I don’t think we’re going to see the actors clean up Emmys and Golden Globes, there are some good actors on the show who also walk and talk like real people.

On the Space channel, I watched a few reruns of ST: Enterprise and my son who is a teenager was cringing at the acting. He said why do they talk so weird? I didn’t understand at first because these were American actors but what he meant was everyone was talking stiff and even their facial expressions seemed forced and wooden. This show I think aired in the mid 2000s, so not that long ago.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The genre also matters though as acting has changed a lot in even just 10 years. I find s I-fi is most guilty of poor acting most times.

I’m a fan of Star Trek Discovery and while I don’t think we’re going to see the actors clean up Emmys and Golden Globes, there are some good actors on the show who also walk and talk like real people.

On the Space channel, I watched a few reruns of ST: Enterprise and my son who is a teenager was cringing at the acting. He said why do they talk so weird? I didn’t understand at first because these were American actors but what he meant was everyone was talking stiff and even their facial expressions seemed forced and wooden. This show I think aired in the mid 2000s, so not that long ago.

True but I think we can agree that the pre-70s featured a lot more of the aches and pains associated with bulky equipment, small budgets, limited production value and a lot of actors audibly coming from the theatre. The dialogue tended to sound way too poetic, syruppy, dramatic and long-winded on a lot of productions, for no other reason that it being a trademark of the times.

Reactions: sandviper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad