OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The best movie by Sandler's is imo Reign over me. I think his comedy work is pretty bad personally. Maybe i just don't get americans humor.
I'm shocked.

Within my personal circle we elevate Sandler movies to the level most can't even understand. They are the gold standard of how bad a production can ever get. We measure his movies in the amount of minutes one can tolerate before pulling the plug. I'm not kidding, I will attach a screenshot of a conversation with a friend that took place only a few hours ago.

But for you to name the ONE movie of his that was actually great, and the one that isn't talked about nearly enough... I'm shocked.

2018-11-04_032445.png

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm shocked.

Within my personal circle we elevate Sandler movies to the level most can't even understand. They are the gold standard of how bad a production can ever get. We measure his movies in the amount of minutes one can tolerate before pulling the plug. I'm not kidding, I will attach a screenshot of a conversation with a friend that took place only a few hours ago.

But for you to name the ONE movie of his that was actually great, and the one that isn't talked about nearly enough... I'm shocked.

View attachment 151887

Well Reign over me was a little bit special to me cause i know a guy like the one played by Sandler and i felt like Don Cheadle a lot. I'll tell you the movie is surprisingly very realistic.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm shocked.

View attachment 151887

I agree, I use his name as an invective in general. I did enjoy Punch Drunk Love, albeit mainly becuase of the rest of the cast. Have not seen Reign Over Me, have not even heard of it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm shocked.

View attachment 151887

Was that the one about his post 9/11 ordeal? It was so strange to see Sandler in that kind of role, but I really liked it too.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hey guys i'll buy a new TV soon. Anybody here got a curved 55+ inch TV? Should i buy curved or flat? In the store the curved display looked cool. It added some fake depth and i liked the effect. But before buying a curved TV i would like to have the opinion of someone who used one for an extended period of time.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Final season of Unforgotten or rather 3rd season since I believe they are making a 4th season. It's great.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Was that the one about his post 9/11 ordeal? It was so strange to see Sandler in that kind of role, but I really liked it too.
Yes, that's the one.

It's got a timeless quality to it, it will never age, or, look out of place, no matter how much time passes.

That is because, like the other classics, the film is not aware of the world beyond the reach of its camera lens.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I actually like Sandler’s movies - not enough to ever watch one in a theatre - but I know more often than not if I check my brain at the door I will have a few laughs for 90 minutes. It’s very tough to find movies I can watch with my kids that aren’t over their heads or too crude and I’m over watching animated movies so we’ve bonded over some great classics like Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Grown Ups along with some other non-Sandler greats like Talladega Nights and Dodge Ball. My wife thinks we are insane and will have no part of it which I’m sure many here will as well but I’m ok with that, laughing is a great stress release

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have started House of Cards, am on the 2nd episode. Of course, the timing of this couldn't have been better planned than to show it at the cusp of the US mid-term elections.

Right off the bat, first thing you're going to wonder about -- how is the show going to deal with Kevin Spacey?

I've always found the show's theme music to be amazingly perfect for the subject matter -- how well it evokes the grandeur of a world that depends on deception and backroom dealings that know no bounds -- or as is commonly referred to as politics.

Greg Kinnear and Diane Lane enter the fold this season as counterbalances to the President's power. I've always liked Lane and I'm sure she'll be a great match for Robin Wright but don't know what to make of Kinnear -- he doesn't seem to project the same type of presence that Lane does. Perhaps there's more depth to him for this kind of role, I'll wait and see.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Have started House of Cards, am on the 6th episode. Of course, the timing of this couldn't have been better planned than to show it at the cusp of the US mid-term elections.

Right off the bat, first thing you're going to wonder about -- how is the show going to deal with Kevin Spacey?

I've always found the show's theme music to be amazingly perfect for the subject matter -- how well it evokes the grandeur of a world that depends on deception and backroom dealings that know no bounds -- or as is commonly referred to as politics.

Greg Kinnear and Diane Lane enter the fold this season as counterbalances to the President's power. I've always liked Lane and I'm sure she'll be a great match for Robin Wright but don't know what to make of Kinnear -- he doesn't seem to project the same type of presence that Lane does. Perhaps there's more depth to him for this kind of role, I'll wait and see.
The show is going to tank, and tank hard, after its first two seasons. There's simply no resurrecting it after those.

It was very enjoyable during its first 1.5 seasons, but that all went down the drain quicker than anyone could imagine.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I actually like Sandler’s movies - not enough to ever watch one in a theatre - but I know more often than not if I check my brain at the door I will have a few laughs for 90 minutes. It’s very tough to find movies I can watch with my kids that aren’t over their heads or too crude and I’m over watching animated movies so we’ve bonded over some great classics like Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Grown Ups along with some other non-Sandler greats like Talladega Nights and Dodge Ball. My wife thinks we are insane and will have no part of it which I’m sure many here will as well but I’m ok with that, laughing is a great stress release
Well, if one can get to call Grown Ups a "classic", I might as well rebuttal with "The Human Centipede" being the best movie of all time.

Your post offends me Sir.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The show is going to tank, and tank hard, after its first two seasons. There's simply no resurrecting it after those.

It was very enjoyable during its first 1.5 seasons, but that all went down the drain quicker than anyone could imagine.

I know how much damage the show did to the GoodKiwi Dial Meter (TM). So many episodes that the meter had to be recalibrated.

I meant to say that I'm on the 2nd episode, not the 6th. I'm waiting to see if it picks up but for now, I'm not liking Greg Kinnear and as much as he was a scumbag in real life, Kevin Spacey's absence this season is a void that is tough to make up for, quite obviously. I wish they had brought in a new character with a lot more presence than Kinnear.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I watch The Fugitive with the wife yesterday. Fun movie. Totally unnecessary and had nothing to say but it's refreshing compared to the sometimes hamfisted politics of modern movies. It's well done and takes place all over Chicago which is a treat and those Chicago accents and moustaches are just great.

There is a shot on a rooftop that made me want to watch underrated classic Thief with her, and if she likes it we can move onto my favourite Michael Mann's (... all of them).

-"I didn't kill my wife!"
-"I don't care!"

It's not a perfect movie but it's pretty good.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Anyone see the new Tomb Raider? I was expecting a Lara Croft movie and discovered it was actually Indiana Jones without the wit and humour or a Robert Langdon film without the intelligence and intrigue. Lara Croft is the female Batman, with the uncanny physical prowess, unlimited wealth, and incredible toys. How did they miss that?

Alicia Vikander is eminently watchable but one dimensional and Walton Goggins is unusually "just okay". A meh heroine and a meh villain. It just takes itself too seriously. This film should have been full of gags and innuendo, because outside of the Special Effects, it was linear and so predictable. Disappointingly caught between genres with little redeeming value. The absurd and impossible needed to be embraced. They settled on odd and unlikely. Meh.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Anyone see the new Tomb Raider? I was expecting a Lara Croft movie and discovered it was actually Indiana Jones without the wit and humour or a Robert Langdon film without the intelligence and intrigue. Lara Croft is the female Batman, with the uncanny physical prowess, unlimited wealth, and incredible toys. How did they miss that?

Alicia Vikander is eminently watchable but one dimensional and Walton Goggins is unusually "just okay". A meh heroine and a meh villain. It just takes itself too seriously. This film should have been full of gags and innuendo, because outside of the Special Effects, it was linear and so predictable. Disappointingly caught between genres with little redeeming value. The absurd and impossible needed to be embraced. They settled on odd and unlikely. Meh.
It was really underwhelming. I love action&adventure movies but this one did so little with what it had.

They had the budget to shoot all over London but didn't hire a competent story editor or any capable cinematographers or editors.

Waste of McNulty and Goggins tbh. Vikander wasn't particularly good in it, she could've done more.

Reactions: groovejuice

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well, if one can get to call Grown Ups a "classic", I might as well rebuttal with "The Human Centipede" being the best movie of all time.

Your post offends me Sir.

My wife’s been nagging me for years to stop watching that crap so I’m used to offending people

Reactions: Runner77

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

The movie is based on Tomb Raider 2013, which is a reboot of the game franchise, the game itself is a lot darker and grittier than any TR that came before. Lara is not a female Bruce Wayne anymore and the Yamatai arc (the arc this movie was supposed to adapt) serve as her origin story.

Of course you didn't get any of that because the movie is bad and like most (all?) movie based on video game do a pretty bad job at adapting the source material.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The movie is based on Tomb Raider 2013, which is a reboot of the game franchise, the game itself is a lot darker and grittier than any TR that came before. Lara is not a female Bruce Wayne anymore and the Yamatai arc (the arc this movie was supposed to adapt) serve as her origin story.

Of course you didn't get any of that because the movie is bad and like most (all?) movie based on video game do a pretty bad job at adapting the source material.

I'm aware of the original game. My comparison was to the original Tomb Raider films. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that.

Regardless, I felt let down by pretty much everything about that film.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Our Cartoon President is running all day on Crave 3.

I've never bothered to seek it out, I usually watch snippets that occasionally are used to open the Colbert Show. Took a chance on an episode today and am glad I didn't go for it sooner.

The part that strikes me the most about it is the quality of animation. I don't think I've ever seen cartoons rendering the look and essence of real life individuals, so accurately. They've captured everyone's defining features so well, however, that's where the entertainment begins and ends.

The most compelling renditions are the President's sons and the broadcasters on CNN and FOX. On the downside, it's a non-stop fest of stale dialogue that relies too heavily on accents but falls way short on content and actual comedy.

I hope the episode I watched is not a reflection of what the rest of the season is like, however, I just checked reviews and they are mostly negative. The show is going to need better writing.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The ending scene of S02E05 of The Man In The High Castle....

:amazed:

Holy crap, that one I did not see coming. Devastating.

This season seems to align with the recent trend of how shows set it all up for it's first 2-3 episodes and then go completely f***ing nuts throwing twists at their viewer. It's not even debatable how much this arc rises in this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->