OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
My new favorite series since probably Vikings and The Last Kingdom has been BBC'S Poldark. You guys should really watch it. It's an old school period piece that is pretty melodramatic but it is so well done and engaging.

It's an English guy that comes back to his hometown after having fought on the losing side during the American Revolutionay War. He comes back home after the Death of his father and has to rebuild his life and all his dad has is a bunch of debts and some old cottage and an old useless mine. More to added to his problems, when he returns, the love of his life is married to his cousin. But this is interesting cause it will play a lot on the drama and tension later on. Even though he has not much, the Poldark are a great family with a prestigious name. That is all he has his name and what will become his greatest enemy is a young banker who's always been jealous of him, of his name and how people admired Poldark. That guy has all the money in the World but none of that respect.

Reactions: Runner77

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
My new favorite series since probably Vikings and The Last Kingdom has been BBC'S Poldark. You guys should really watch it. It's an old school period piece that is pretty melodramatic but it is so well done and engaging.

It's an English guy that comes back to his hometown after having fought on the losing side during the American Revolutionay War. He comes back home after the Death of his father and has to rebuild his life and all his dad has is a bunch of debts and some old cottage and an old useless mine. More to added to his problems, when he returns, the love of his life is married to his cousin. But this is interesting cause it will play a lot on the drama and tension later on. Even though he has not much, the Poldark are a great family with a prestigious name. That is all he has his name and what will become his greatest enemy is a young banker who's always been jealous of him, of his name and how people admired Poldark. That guy has all the money in the World but none of that respect.

Sounds like it was inspired by Faulkner.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Interesting suggestion. RT has it highly rated.

Seeing that they're showing Season 3 of Poldark on CBS. Will past episodes be made available on Netflix?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Deadpool 2, so funny and such awesome cameos and surprise appearances in this movie including Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and the entire X-Men team. The mid-credits scene is probably the best one of these ever done.

Hadn't noticed Damon & Pitt. Didn't read the credits.

Juggernaut was impressive

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Hadn't noticed Damon & Pitt. Didn't read the credits.

Juggernaut was impressive

Damon was one of the rednecks alongside Alan Tudyk talking about toilet paper when Cable went back in time and stole their truck. Pitt played Vanisher when they jumped out of the plane and ended up parachuting and getting elctrocuted on the powerlines.

Juggernaut was played and voiced by Reynolds but they wanted it to be a surprise so even in the end credits Juggernaught is credited as being played by Juggernaught so that movie goers would be none the wiser. Juggernaught was kind of an redemption/homage to the 2006 Juggernaught in Last Stand which Reynolds and the writers thought was insultingly bad. They definitely did Juggernaught justice this time.

Reynolds has come a long way and played a lot of shitty roles but Deadpool is the role he was born to play. With all the little details and inside jokes/references in the movie you can tell this film is a labor of love and passion. He even pokes fun at his role in Green Lantern which happens to be one of the biggest Superhero flops of all time in the end credits of the movie saying."You're welcome Canada!" :laugh:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It had Dolly Parton at the start was awesome thereon in

Are you kidding me? You got that right girl! I don't often comment on soundtracks but this one was a standout! It was so so so good! Dolly Parton, Peter Gabriel, Cher, A-Ha, Air Supply, Pat Benetar... that's my childhood right there lol. Even the song that Celine Dion wrote for the movie was amazing! It's good enough to be an actual single for one of her albums.

Reactions: groovejuice

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Love all of them, Cher,A’ha, Air Supply, etc. Second showing (rented off Apple so have to get the most of the rental and I still missed Brad Pitt. One of the few sequels that are better than the original.Great movie

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Careless Whisper was composed by GM and AR. While it's not officially Wham it's pretty much Wham with GM signing.

No GM wrote it and as a favour to his childhood friend he put AR on the credits, he looked out to AR as a lifelong friend and AR has always been an ally. It was always a GM song

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watched Poldark on Masterpiece Theatre about 35 years ago. Good drama.

That really intrigue me at watching the original now.

Also I would love seeing an Americanized version of this story, also a period piece. Where maybe it would be an American also on the losing side, this time with the British loyalists. I could see someone like Jon Hamm playing it, he would have the range for it but especially the charisma to hold the show together. But it would be a more...wrathful Ross Poldark, maybe a little less nice. Given the state America was around that time, I could see someone coming back to his father home and everything is in ruin but he has to rebuild and make a life for himself.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Have to say the first one bugged me at the end playing George Michael Careless Whisper and saying it was Wham

Careless Whisper was composed by GM and AR. While it's not officially Wham it's pretty much Wham with GM signing.

No GM wrote it and as a favour to his childhood friend he put AR on the credits, he looked out to AR as a lifelong friend and AR has always been an ally. It was always a GM song

Just pointing out that any serious discussion involving Wham makes the participants less cool.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
One from the past, `Backbeat `a story of the Beatles early days in Hamburg, Germany.

It`s striking how much Ian Hart looked, sounded and acted like one of the most famous people of the 20th century (John Lennon). Good music in the movie too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->