OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Just finished watching Intouchables for the 10th time, and it's still as good as the first occurence. Amazing movie, I get an emotional rush every time at the end.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a must-watch. Omar Sy is impeccable in his role.

Not usually my type of movie as I'm more of an action, Police and SciFi movie watcher but I have to admit that it's a pretty darn good movie. Saw it two or three times and never felt bored at any time watching it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Wow... Mr. Robot is back!

I couldn't watch the season two premiere last night as planned so had to catch up on both episodes today. Have to admit - episode 1 fell below the bar of personal hype I set for it in my head anticipating it for as long as I have. It was good and enjoyable, just you could kind of see the seams the writers left. Understandably so, as it served as a setup and had to cover a lot at once without zooming in on any particular thing.

But then I watched the second episode. And it reminded me that Mr. Robot is one of those rare shows that pulls off the phenomenon where I completely lose track of time as I'm watching it. Often I can't tell how much time has passed, I might feel I only saw a few scenes but then I glance at the video player's progress bar and find out, to my shock, that I'm 3 minutes away from an episode's end. It's exactly what happened with episode two. It was that good and blew me away as I always wanted the second season of Mr. Robot to.

Excellent, exceptional stuff here. Maybe a handful of TV series can touch this, maybe even less IMO.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Wanted to add that the laughter scene by Malek in ep2 was outstanding. I've been thinking about it and its significance ever since I saw it.

I think that it starts out as something disturbing but then becomes more about him submitting to his madness and becoming free of his struggle. As disturbing of a subject as the one of personal mental health is, this felt like a relief for him. As sad that it might be, gave me, the viewer, a sense of comfort. Elliott won that battle, for however long it might be.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
My friend lately told me that Penny Dreadful was the best TV Series of all time.

I'm not one to go full hyperbole on the spot. Maybe a few years later, but not on the spot.

...Back to Penny... I can't say that he's wrong. I deliberately started to watch S03 after the end of its broadcasting and that show is so absolutely glorious on every damn aspect. And I absolutely love how they reintroduced those long monologues.

That show makes GoT look like amateur hour (and performers on GoT are usually good) as far as acting is concerned.

It's at least one of the best monster shows of all time.

Also I think it's a show that could never have existed at any other time in history than this TV period cause we're at a time were the doors are open as far as sexuality and graphic violence. It's that mix of this and reimagining these monsters that make it good.

That is why the Universal Monsters relaunch have an uphill battle to climb cause they won't have that much freedom.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's at least one of the best monster shows of all time.

Also I think it's a show that could never have existed at any other time in history than this TV period cause we're at a time were the doors are open as far as sexuality and graphic violence. It's that mix of this and reimagining these monsters that make it good.

That is why the Universal Monsters relaunch have an uphill battle to climb cause they won't have that much freedom.

And because they made garbage like Dracula Untold.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
So there's a new series coming out on Netflix today I believe. It's called Stranger Things. Not really my cup of tea but might give it a try. I saw the previews and it looked intriguing and the lone review I saw had good things to say about it.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Ferris you prepared me for the worst of the worst, and yet nothing could've prepared me for Halloween Resurection, Jason goes to Hell and Jason X. God those we're insultingly bad

I'm currently watching the Halloween 1 remake by Rob Zombie, halfway through and it's pretty damn good so far. Thank god I'm out of the dumpster fire (for now). Some Rush just started playing in the movie so this is officially great

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
haha. It's not like I thought it was a bad show. It just wasn't up my alley enough to invest time in it.

What is it about that you didn't like, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, as just about any good show, Mr. Robot will grow and mature over time and, as I mentioned above, the signs of it are already there - so far the second season has been very different from its first.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
And because they made garbage like Dracula Untold.

And the Wolfman wasn't that great either. I would love if someone like Chris Nolan, someone with that sort of cold cerebral style would take on these monsters, cutting away all the trappings and the bullcrap and make something fresh and genuinely scary them.

Wolfman was too traditional and lazy with a weak script. Dracula Untold they made Dracula a bland hero with super-hero powers. Charles Dance in that movie was closer to Dracula.

Drac should always be the heavy. Cast Mark Strong and let him rip everybody to shreds.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Clever....but Ill pass

I watched Demolition today. Good acting but bad movie....

Why did you find Demolition to be bad? I also saw it recently and found it to be a very competent film.

P.S. I sugest the Bourne trilogy for a movie marathon. All three are very enjoyable IMO.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Why did you find Demolition to be bad? I also saw it recently and found it to be a very competent film.

P.S. I sugest the Bourne trilogy for a movie marathon. All three are very enjoyable IMO.

Maybe bad to too steep. I guess I had a funny feeling through the movie. The kid is the only one I felt empathy for. Hell even the wife's parents are unlikable.....

PS I have seen them a million times.....I am looking forward to the new one though......

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe bad to too steep. I guess I had a funny feeling through the movie. The kid is the only one I felt empathy for. Hell even the wife's parents are unlikable.....

I agree, but a good movie doesn't need to have likable character in it to be good IMO. I enjoyed the take on the subject matter of one dealing with grief. I found it to be fresh and well executed. It's not a movie that had the ambitions of being nominated for Academy awards, but it was a well made piece regardless IMO.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
so the wife is away for the weekend and took the kids......

I need a movie marathon.....any ideas?

80's buddy cop special:
Lethal weapon
Tango and cash (thank me later)
Beverly hill cop
Ice pirates
Not 80's but, The other guys
And yes, home alone

Last edited:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Some favs of mine when the wife's away

Sling Blade
Frailty
Still Crazy
Kick Ass
Warrior
Tropic Thunder
Hot Tub Time Machine

i honestly thought i was the only person in the universe to have watched that movie. its great. but then again, id watch paint dry if it was narrated by bill nighy so i might be biased

if you're gonna watch hot tub time machine, for the love of god, avoid the second one. the first one is far better and funnier and theres jessica pare's erm... yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad