OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You guys are in for a treat with River. It's my very favorite TV series of all time.

There's also "Hinterland" available on Netflix - a Welsh show I recommend. Very dark.

I watched "Demolition" over the weekend and liked it. It's been a while since I saw Naomi Watts in a movie.

Thanks to you Kiwi, that River is on my radar. As I recall you have a few other foreign series from Netflix that you liked. I'll definitely also check Hinterland. Please feel free to refresh our memories.

OK, I get it, the Ice Caps are a Horror Show. :sarcasm:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks to you Kiwi, that River is on my radar. As I recall you have a few other foreign series from Netflix that you liked. I'll definitely also check Hinterland. Please feel free to refresh our memories.

I hold River in the same esteem as our good colleague GoodKiwi although I am reticent to sing it's praises as not to set the expectations too high. I will just say that it was a captivating and emotional experience like I've never experienced before. I have full confidence in saying some people will love it while others sill hate it. It all depends on how one connects with the subject matter and one's capacity for empathy.

I did not enjoy Hinterland as much having watched only the first episode but I was admittingly burnt out on crime dramas by then after having binged watched all four season of The Killing and Broadchurch.

I would look into Utopia for a unique upbeat and quirky UK series.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Ridley Scott's The Counselor is unfairly maligned in my opinion. It was original and had an atmosphere - much better than garbage like Robin Hood.

I liked it but I am a huge Cormac McCarthy fanboy...there was pretty much no way I wasn't going to like it. But I understand why others don't.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I hold River in the same esteem as our good colleague GoodKiwi although I am reticent to sing it's praises as not to set the expectations too high. I will just say that it was a captivating and emotional experience like I've never experienced before. I have full confidence in saying some people will love it while others sill hate it. It all depends on how one connects with the subject matter and one's capacity for empathy.

Excellent points all around that I fully agree with, Bryson.

River will never achieve mainstream success and it's not a mini-series that will ever be universally praised by its viewers. To those that it connects with though (for one reason or another), it will always be a treasure. :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My friend lately told me that Penny Dreadful was the best TV Series of all time.

I'm not one to go full hyperbole on the spot. Maybe a few years later, but not on the spot.

...Back to Penny... I can't say that he's wrong. I deliberately started to watch S03 after the end of its broadcasting and that show is so absolutely glorious on every damn aspect. And I absolutely love how they reintroduced those long monologues.

That show makes GoT look like amateur hour (and performers on GoT are usually good) as far as acting is concerned.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
MDX, it's one thing to say "the best series of all time" and another "my favourite series of all time". I'm not sure if the same context is implied in both, but at least it doesn't read that way to me.

I've seen so many TV series over the years that that only way I can judge them is upon their immediate impact. If I let them breathe they'll be buried by another wave very soon.

Too many TV series - not enough time. :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
MDX, it's one thing to say "the best series of all time" and another "my favourite series of all time". I'm not sure if the same context is implied in both, but at least it doesn't read that way to me.

I've seen so many TV series over the years that that only way I can judge them is upon their immediate impact. If I let them breathe they'll be buried by another wave very soon.

Too many TV series - not enough time. :)

Yeah... Best of all time would imply ... mostly anything that isn't purely subjective (such as personnal appreciation).

I mean... I know that GoT isn't the best of all time. I know that The Musketeers isn't the best of all time. I know that Black Sails and The Wire and Vikings aren't the best of all time.

I can't say that for Penny Dreadful.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My friend lately told me that Penny Dreadful was the best TV Series of all time.

I'm not one to go full hyperbole on the spot. Maybe a few years later, but not on the spot.

...Back to Penny... I can't say that he's wrong. I deliberately started to watch S03 after the end of its broadcasting and that show is so absolutely glorious on every damn aspect. And I absolutely love how they reintroduced those long monologues.

That show makes GoT look like amateur hour (and performers on GoT are usually good) as far as acting is concerned.

Yeah, I fell in love with that show and Eva Green in the first 5 minutes of season one. At the time I referred to it here as Masterpiece Theater on steroids. :laugh:
It's brilliant in all aspects, writing, acting, characters and spookiness. I was really sad to see it end. If you haven't watched seasons 1 and 2, you should start at the beginning.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, I fell in love with that show and Eva Green in the first 5 minutes of season one. At the time I referred to it here as Masterpiece Theater on steroids. :laugh:
It's brilliant in all aspects, writing, acting, characters and spookiness. I was really sad to see it end. If you haven't watched seasons 1 and 2, you should start at the beginning.

I absolutely chewed on Season 1 and 2.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Has anyone watched the leaked version of Mr. Robot S02E01 yet? I'm trying hard not to. :help:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
nope, but I doubt it would change my mind on it, 3D is the woooooorst

Usually about once a year it pops up in revue theatres around here and I've gone and seen in it in the theatre a few times to experience it in 3D. (Forget the polarized 3D versions that've offered on DVD and Blu, they are very much a bastardized version of the original 3D presentation.)

The 3D FX in this film are hilariously cheesy and work incredibly well on the big screen. The harpoon gun to the eye bit and crushed head 'til the eye explodes from the socket bit are, in particular, amazing on the big screen.

The third film almost needed the over-the-top cheese of a 3D presentation because the movie itself has the worst acting in the series (which is saying something) and also lacks the atmosphere of other entries (in part, because, due to the 3D effect the "storm" is wind rather than rain.)

Despite the lousy acting, I do enjoy the third act of this movie. Jason tearing the barn apart in anger, the hanging, axe to the head, etc. is all good stuff, IMO.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Yeah... Best of all time would imply ... mostly anything that isn't purely subjective (such as personnal appreciation).

I mean... I know that GoT isn't the best of all time. I know that The Musketeers isn't the best of all time. I know that Black Sails and The Wire and Vikings aren't the best of all time.

I can't say that for Penny Dreadful.

Yeah, well you know, that's just, like, your opinion man

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I've never been much of a fan of Marvel until I finally got around to watching Daredevil on Netflix. I loved it.

Its great. A few characters really irk me like Paige and the fat one but DD, ki ng pin, punisheretc make up for them. Especially punisher

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Just finished watching Intouchables for the 10th time, and it's still as good as the first occurence. Amazing movie, I get an emotional rush every time at the end.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a must-watch. Omar Sy is impeccable in his role.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished watching Intouchables for the 10th time, and it's still as good as the first occurence. Amazing movie, I get an emotional rush every time at the end.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a must-watch. Omar Sy is impeccable in his role.

That many times? There ought to be something there. I think I'll take a stab at it, wanna see what I missed out on. Saw it only once.

Talk about movies I haven't seen in a while, did anyone like Whiteout?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
OJ Made in America is on Crave now. Im just about done and its pretty awesome really. If you have not seen it, do it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad