OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I've watched every Friday the 13th and Halloween movies, I did it. I DID IT.

I liked both Rob Zombie remakes a lot, and the Friday The 13th soft reboot wasn't that bad either

Now onto the next step of the marathon : Nightmare on elm street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Out of all the genres, horror movies have aged the worst (honourable mention to music videos)

Original Evil Dead and Nightmare were 2 of the scariest things I'd ever seen and now they're comical to watch

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Out of all the genres, horror movies have aged the worst (honourable mention to music videos)

Original Evil Dead and Nightmare were 2 of the scariest things I'd ever seen and now they're comical to watch

I think Jaws and Aliens aged well. But they are not really traditional horror movies even if there's elements of horror in them.

That robot in Jaws still look better than most of current cgi lol

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

it's part of the fun though :) if Jason kills someone and I laugh, that means i'm having fun

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Evil Dead was always a comedy though.

Evil-Dead-300x168.jpg

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Beijing is experiencing record rainfall. Streets are flooded, people are rowing boats and seados down the street, I actually saw fishes swimming downtown. I'm stuck at my lady friend's place. I need a recommendation for a topical movie that's not Poseidon adventures :laugh:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Beijing is experiencing record rainfall. Streets are flooded, people are rowing boats and seados down the street, I actually saw fishes swimming downtown. I'm stuck at my lady friend's place. I need a recommendation for a topical movie that's not Poseidon adventures :laugh:
You sure you don't want to keep your lady friend company?

Off the top of my head:

Noah
Day After Tomorrow
When the Levees Broke (Spike Lee Documentary on New Orleans, great stuff, my fav professor edited it)
No Escape
The Impossible
The Perfect Storm
World War Z
Contagion
Outbreak
Godzilla
Cloverfield

Tons of disaster movies man, pick your poison.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Is it that bad?? It's actually pretty chill in Hong Kong.
Have you been to Beijing new airport? I'm traveling back to Mtl for vacation and have a 14h layover. Thinking of getting a room inside the airport...heard the airport is massive.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Waterworld :)

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Everyone should watch HBO's comedy cartoon "The Life & Times of Tim"

Brilliant comedy with a lot of famous comedians, hilarious dialogue and really natural-sounding voice acting

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I've watched every Friday the 13th and Halloween movies, I did it. I DID IT.

I liked both Rob Zombie remakes a lot, and the Friday The 13th soft reboot wasn't that bad either

Now onto the next step of the marathon : Nightmare on elm street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre

huh... I like that first Rob Zombie remake but that second one, I though, was atrocious.

Don't forget a Child's Play, Leprechaun and the classic of all classic Sleepaway Camp.

Also, if you were gonna do Friday the 13th, you should've added The Burning as an extra in there.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I just finished watching the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre and i'm going to switch that franchise out of my main list, I really don't see what people like so much about that movie. It was bad. just bad. The first 45 min were uneventful and boring, the last 30 minutes were unbearable. Literally just Sally screaming and running, I fought to stay awake during that whole pile of hot garbage

i'm thinking either Child's Play or Hellraiser instead, i'll look for a replacement

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I just finished watching the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre and i'm going to switch that franchise out of my main list, I really don't see what people like so much about that movie. It was bad. just bad. The first 45 min were uneventful and boring, the last 30 minutes were unbearable. Literally just Sally screaming and running, I fought to stay awake during that whole pile of hot garbage

i'm thinking either Child's Play or Hellraiser instead, i'll look for a replacement

It was innovative for the time. Sort of like how Blair Witch was. The problem is it's been copied countless times now. And you're right in that it has not aged well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Everyone should watch HBO's comedy cartoon "The Life & Times of Tim"

Brilliant comedy with a lot of famous comedians, hilarious dialogue and really natural-sounding voice acting

Saw it on HBO a few years ago and loved it. Do they have new episodes?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

If you are switching off the Chainsaw franchise, you honestly can't say you did a serious horror marathon.

The Chainsaw franchise is a pillar of modern horror. Leatherface is an icon. To swap it out for Child's Play or Hellraiser would be like swapping out the Montreal Canadiens for a East Coast Hockey League team.

Not to mention, Part III stars noted Hab fan Viggo Mortensen and when you get to Chainsaw 4 you get to see a young Matthew McConaughey starring opposite a young Rene Zellweger in a movie that both wish would disappear!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
yeah I kinda figured that was the case...

Few horror movies have aged well to be honest. Even some of the most highly regarded such as alien (though its still excellent imo) the thing, evil dead and nightmare on elm street are really dated now. The difference between those and something like chainsaw is that the production and visuals mostly still look good.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
If you are switching off the Chainsaw franchise, you honestly can't say you did a serious horror marathon.

The Chainsaw franchise is a pillar of modern horror. Leatherface is an icon. To swap it out for Child's Play or Hellraiser would be like swapping out the Montreal Canadiens for a East Coast Hockey League team.

Not to mention, Part III stars noted Hab fan Viggo Mortensen and when you get to Chainsaw 4 you get to see a young Matthew McConaughey starring opposite a young Rene Zellweger in a movie that both wish would disappear!

i'll consider leaving it in because you really know your stuff and I know it's one of the biggest franchise out there, but man was that a disappointment.

oh in other news I finished Stranger Things and i'm ready to say it's the strongest season of any show Netflix produced, at least from the ones i've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad