OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So there's a new series coming out on Netflix today I believe. It's called Stranger Things. Not really my cup of tea but might give it a try. I saw the previews and it looked intriguing and the lone review I saw had good things to say about it.

Well it was my cup of tea.

I binged watched it until 2h30 am last night. Simply could not put it down to go to bed at episode #6.

Anyone born in the the late 70ies, early 80ies will identify with the kids in this movie. The music and culture of the early 80ies is everywhere in this movie, and brings back good memories for those born during that time (BMX with light dynamos, walkie-talkies, dungeons and dragons, rotary phones, 80ies movies/musics). Speaking of which, perfect use of music and sound effects in this.

The movie is a bit of a homage to supernatural/sci-fi flicks of the 80ies like D.A.R.Y.L., E.T., Goonies, etc but with a horror monster feel a la stephen king to it and obviously current TV means.

The story revolves around a missing boy, a strange girl, and the 3 kids who become friends with said strange girl while looking for the missing boy. And there's a sci-fi/supernatural element behind it. All the characters are incredibly endearing and you immediately become invested in the story from the first minute to the last. The dialogue between the kids is very funny and gives them depth quickly. If you don't like the first episode, put it down, it's not for you. While watching the series, during the first 4-5 episodes, my main worry was that they wouldn't really wrap it all up, but they do. So have no fears about that.

One of netflix's best efforts, probably the best I have seen of them. There are rumors it's been renewed for a season 2 already, but I can't find anything official yet. It's been said that S2 would be a sequel more than an actual season two. Whether or not there is a season 2, it stands alone on its own as a season.

I think there's something in it for everyone but people aged between 35 and 45 will identify with it a bit more I'd think.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Holy crap, Hell on Wheels is having one hell of a closing season.

The barn scene at the very end of "Gambit" episode was the "hottest" yet the most intimate sex scene I've seen in years, movies or TV!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
i honestly thought i was the only person in the universe to have watched that movie. its great. but then again, id watch paint dry if it was narrated by bill nighy so i might be biased

if you're gonna watch hot tub time machine, for the love of god, avoid the second one. the first one is far better and funnier and theres jessica pare's erm... yeah....

I caught Still Crazy by shear luck at some point on TV and I wanted to change the channel but the movie kept pulling me back in. It's great. I liked the mysterious "lost" member who didn't care for returning to the group. I thought he played a great "cool" character. After watching the movie I went to see the IMDB to see who he was. I was shocked that this guy was that old, I had never seen him before.

The barn scene at the very end of "Gambit" episode was the "hottest" yet the most intimate sex scene I've seen in years, movies or TV!

It's a great show. One summer I watched the first 8 episodes back to back. But then I missed a few and since then I have never been able to get back in it cause I'm completely lost. I think the last time I watched it, the Evil priest was in Prison.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Do you recommend the series as a whole?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
outside of my horror marathon, I watched Moonrise Kingdom today with the gf. Like it a lot, Wes Anderson makes me want to study cinema, his love for symmetry is incredible

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Do you recommend the series as a whole?

I do. "Justified" is the better series IMO that has a similar Western dynamic, although with much better dialogue, but Hell on Wheels has a lot more action, violence and is a period piece. Both are worth watching for sure. Hell on Wheels has definitely pulled out all the stops in its final season. The series has had some valleys throughout its first four seasons but is ending on a high note.

Plus, Eva in Hell on Wheels (Robin McLeavy) is much hotter than Ava in Justified (Joelle Carter). ;)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Close call. But two great series.

bca5cc3a9f982f9cdf98fadb58333e4c.jpg
latest

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Well it was my cup of tea.

I binged watched it until 2h30 am last night. Simply could not put it down to go to bed at episode #6.

Anyone born in the the late 70ies, early 80ies will identify with the kids in this movie. The music and culture of the early 80ies is everywhere in this movie, and brings back good memories for those born during that time (BMX with light dynamos, walkie-talkies, dungeons and dragons, rotary phones, 80ies movies/musics). Speaking of which, perfect use of music and sound effects in this.

The movie is a bit of a homage to supernatural/sci-fi flicks of the 80ies like D.A.R.Y.L., E.T., Goonies, etc but with a horror monster feel a la stephen king to it and obviously current TV means.

The story revolves around a missing boy, a strange girl, and the 3 kids who become friends with said strange girl while looking for the missing boy. And there's a sci-fi/supernatural element behind it. All the characters are incredibly endearing and you immediately become invested in the story from the first minute to the last. The dialogue between the kids is very funny and gives them depth quickly. If you don't like the first episode, put it down, it's not for you. While watching the series, during the first 4-5 episodes, my main worry was that they wouldn't really wrap it all up, but they do. So have no fears about that.

One of netflix's best efforts, probably the best I have seen of them. There are rumors it's been renewed for a season 2 already, but I can't find anything official yet. It's been said that S2 would be a sequel more than an actual season two. Whether or not there is a season 2, it stands alone on its own as a season.

I think there's something in it for everyone but people aged between 35 and 45 will identify with it a bit more I'd think.

Thanks for that. I will definitely give it a try

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can someone please recommend a comedy or two in the vein of "Pink Panther", "Naked Gun", "Johnny English", etc.? Basically where an idiot protagonist gets things done despite his obvious shortcomings.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Can someone please recommend a comedy or two in the vein of "Pink Panther", "Naked Gun", "Johnny English", etc.? Basically where an idiot protagonist gets things done despite his obvious shortcomings.

Hot shot and spaceballs cones to mind. Spy is pretty funny too.

Oh and tropic thunder is amazing.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Get Smart movie is pretty funny, especially if you were a fan of the original series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425061/

Thanks, this looks like a solid contender. Always looking for more suggestions of course.

To clarify, this isn't something for me, it's for our group movie night taking place at our house this week. The attendees typically vote for a genre (or, as in this case, a sub-genre) to pick from and then each comes up with one or more potential candidates that fit within the above criteria. The winner of this pile of recommendations gets the screen time.

If it were up to me, we'd be watching exclusively dramas, but, alas, our gang's interests are more diverse.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
By genre bias runs a lot more deep I'm afraid. I will simply not watch a comedy, horror unless I'm given no choice on the matter. I'm little more lenient when it comes to sci-fi and action, but only barely.

Not proud of it, but it is what it is - I'm a drama **** and will probably always remain one. :innocent:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'm on a cartoon binge recently. Archer, bob's burger, invader Zim, somehow managed to get my hands on a few episodes of ren and stimpy...

Any suggestion I may not be aware of?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally saw Legend of Tarzan yesterday.

I enjoyed it even though the story was pretty simple and straight forward. The trio of heroes Tarzan, Jane and Sam Jackson were entertaining. But ultimately....

I thought it lacked depth and as such sometime it felt like it could have been shot in 1996.

What the film needed I think was a greater sense of danger, it lacked an edge. It needed more blood and gore and the perception of Tarzan being more a wild, crazy and dangerous and untamed person than he was. I don't think there was one drop of blood in the entire movie and as such it made things rather too "safe". Remember when in Die Hard Han Gruber shot the smartass hostage? This was 1990. This is 2016 and there's not even an inkling of that type of rawness.

Another thing was that the relationship with Tarzan and the animals was pretty vague. He seems to have somewhat a link with the apes but sometime not. He is friends with a few lions but that's cause he raised them when they were cubs. Some of this seemed logical and then for whatever reasons one ostrich warns him of danger. Also to me the more interesting element I felt they should have focused on was the relationship Tarzan had with his ape family. This was the most interesting part but we didn't see a lot of that in the movie.

The CGI was a big negative. From the apes to the lions and elephants, it became a cartoon everytime and made you think "this is a movie!". Next time, use real animals.

All in all it was a good time at the movies, the actors were great but it could have been a lot better.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I'm on a cartoon binge recently. Archer, bob's burger, invader Zim, somehow managed to get my hands on a few episodes of ren and stimpy...

Have you seen Rick and Morty? The Venture Brothers is also excellent. Older series that only lasted one season is Clone High, really excellent.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Venture Bros.

It's dense, clever, and immensely watchable.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I've watched every Friday the 13th and Halloween movies, I did it. I DID IT.

I liked both Rob Zombie remakes a lot, and the Friday The 13th soft reboot wasn't that bad either

Now onto the next step of the marathon : Nightmare on elm street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad