OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Holy crap, our 13th thread on this. Grats HFers, one great effort by all of you.

Let's make this one as epic as the previous ones.

Watching right now or regularly:
Banshee
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Grimm (the special effects got better, storylines have been repetitious)
Lucifer (the guy who plays Lucifer is perfect for the part)
Last Week Tonight
Real Time with Bill Maher
Shark Tank
Tout le monde en parle
Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
ABC Nightline (nice recap of major US events, 20 mins, fast forward commercials)

On tap:
GoT
Silicon Valley

Favorites so far this year:
Banshee
BCS

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Unfortunately this list is missing a lot of stuff, especially when I watch a TV series quickly and then forget to add it to my catalog (i.e. River), but I'd say this is probably 75% of my TV interests. The categorization might also be off (i.e. I forget to move a show from one sub-section to another). This is just a quick dump from Sidereel.

Currently watching:
The Affair
The Americans
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown
The Big Bang Theory
Bloodline
Blue Bloods
Bones
Bosch
Broadchurch
Catastrophe
Code Black
Elementary
The Fall
Fargo
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Halt and Catch Fire
Hand of God
Hell on Wheels
Homeland
House of Cards
Humans
The Leftovers
Longmire
Making a Murderer
Mr. Robot
Narcos
Sense8
Suits
Top Chef
True Detective
Tyrant
VICE

On back-burner (might re-visit if time allows):
Better Call Saul
Billions

Want to try:
American Crime Story
American Odyssey
The Man in the High Castle
Peaky Blinders
Utopia - UK
Vinyl

Finished TV series I saw:
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
Band of Brothers
The Big C
Boss
Breaking Bad
Complications
Entourage
Fringe
The Honorable Woman
How to Make It in America
Justified
The Killing
Lie to Me
Luther
The Making of the Mob: New York
Monk
MythBusters
The Pacific
Public Morals
Rubicon
Scrubs
Seinfeld
The Shield
The Sopranos
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Top Chef Canada
Top Chef Masters
Wayward Pines
Weeds
The Wire

Gave up on:
House of Lies
Orange is the New Black
Ray Donovan
The X-Files - 2016
You're The Worst

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I can vouch for Lucifer. If you're going to go into it taking it seriously like a real drama though you won't like it. I see most of the complaints about it being that it's a generic cop drama but with Lucifer in it. The point of the show isn't the actual cop drama aspect, it's a turn off your brain type of show. It's funny and fun, just don't expect Breaking Bad levels of writing and you'll enjoy it.

I think way too many people who didn't like it just took it too seriously IMO. It's meant to be taken lightly.

vesperal

Mar 8, 2006
I can vouch for Lucifer. If you're going to go into it taking it seriously like a real drama though you won't like it. I see most of the complaints about it being that it's a generic cop drama but with Lucifer in it. The point of the show isn't the actual cop drama aspect, it's a turn off your brain type of show. It's funny and fun, just don't expect Breaking Bad levels of writing and you'll enjoy it.

I think way too many people who didn't like it just took it too seriously IMO. It's meant to be taken lightly.

I like it too and you're absolutely right. The show doesn't try to be something it's not.

vesperal

Mar 8, 2006
Runner77, you seems to like comedy news show. Did you try Full Frontal with Samantha Bee ? I liked her on the Daily Show, I wasn't sure at first but she's pretty great here. Half an hour weekly on the news, mostly political, funny with a different perspective.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner77, you seems to like comedy news show. Did you try Full Frontal with Samantha Bee ? I liked her on the Daily Show, I wasn't sure at first but she's pretty great here. Half an hour weekly on the news, mostly political, funny with a different perspective.

I too always liked her craziness on The Nightly Show. I saw her show advertised on the Comedy channel but never took the time. I kind of got sidetracked because of all the great suggestions in this thread. I can't catch up, lol.

If it's just once a week, 30 mins., I can look into it. Thanks for the heads up, vesperal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Holy crap, our 13th thread on this. Grats HFers, one great effort by all of you.

Let's make this one as epic as the previous ones.

Banshee
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Grimm (the special effects got better, storylines have been repetitious)
Lucifer (the guy who plays Lucifer is perfect for the part)
Last Week Tonight
Real Time with Bill Maher
Shark Tank
Tout le monde en parle
Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
ABC Nightline (nice recap of major US events, 20 mins, fast forward commercials)

On tap:
GoT
Silicon Valley

Banshee
BCS

This has been my favorite thread for quite some time now lol.. it always gets better unfortunately when the habs season is done lmao.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This has been my favorite thread for quite some time now lol.. it always gets better unfortunately when the habs season is done lmao.

It gets better at the right time, in that case. There's a void to fill, feels strange with no Habs in the playoffs this year -- anything to distract me from the Habs right now, is welcome.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
Okay i'll do my little list too :

Currently watching:

Mr. Robot
Narcos
Ray Donovan
Archer
Fargo
Game of Thrones
The Knick
Shameless (US)
Sherlock
True Detective
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Black Mirror
Masters of Sex
Daredevil
House of Cards
Marco Polo
Suits
Black Sails
Jessica Jones
Vikings
The 100
Broadchurch
The Good Wife
Homeland
Outlander
Peaky Blinders
The Fall
Banshee
Ballers
The Walking Dead

Want to try:

American Crime Story
Utopia - UK
Vinyl
Oz
Making a Murderer
Twins Peaks
Rick and Morty

Finished TV series I saw:

Planet Earth
Band of Brothers
Battlestar Galactica
Berserk
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Firefly
Generation Kill
The Wire
John Adams
Rome
Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Luther
Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis
Samurai Champloo
Sons of Anarchy
Death Note
Generation War
Hannibal
Justified
The Pacific
Attack on Titan
Borgen
Cowboy Bebop
House M.D.
The Shield
Spartacus (serie and mini-serie)
Prison Break
River
Columbo
The Killing
Mad Men
The Sopranos
Californication
Entourage
Stargate SG-1
Dexter
Dragon Ball
The Newsroom

Gave up on:

Orange is the New Black
The Mentalist
Arrow
The Big Bang Theory
True Blood
Weeds
How to Get Away with Murder
The Blacklist
Boardwalk Empire
Castle
Gotham
The Flash

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Fun fact that might not be known. Part of 11.22.63 was filmed in my hometown. During filming a man rode right through the set on a moped high as a kite on meth, and he was promptly arrested with a bunch of meth on him. It made quite the scene lol.

As for the show, I haven't tried it yet. But I found that funny when it happened last summer.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Full frontal with Samantha bee makes the daily show look silly. They should have given her the job...

Tried to watch the Daily Show a few times since Trevor Noah took over and simply couldn't

It's a combination of the delivery being off/forced and a sense of entitlement he simply does not deserve. Pretty much the exact opposite of why Stewart made the show great

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tried to watch the Daily Show a few times since Trevor Noah took over and simply couldn't

It's a combination of the delivery being off/forced and a sense of entitlement he simply does not deserve. Pretty much the exact opposite of why Stewart made the show great

I wasn't able to stomach Noah either. It's like he's trying too hard. He doesn't connect with the audience at the same level. Stewart was so in tune with the medium, his sense of timing, grimaces, voice inflection, were impeccable. Maybe Noah makes strides at some point but it's going to take a while and don't want to be around watching someone learn on the job. Am already doing that with Bergevin. :sarcasm:

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Banshee
BCS

Banshee is sooooo good!

Banshee
Grimm
Vinyl
Last Week Tonight
The Circus
Gotham
Bob's Burger
Rick and Morty
Politician's Husband
Broadchurch (Finished)
The Fall (Finished)
Les Revenants (The Returned French version)
In The Flesh (finished)
Hinterland (Finished)
Luther (Finished)
River (Finished)
Southcliffe
Misfits (Finished)
Black Books
The Detectives (Finished)
Happy Valley (Finished)
Life On Mars (british) (finished)
The 100
Archer
The Knick (finished)
Sherlock UK (Finished)
True Detective (Finished
Daredevil (Finished)
Jessica Jones (Finished)
House of Cards (Finished)
Homeland
Ca va brasser
Ballers (Finished)
Making a Murderer (Finished)
Hannibal
Justified (If they could add the other seasons on Netflix!)
The Killing
The Newsroom (Finished, excellent!)
GoT
Silicon Valley

Suggestion if someone hasn't watched it yet is The Black Donnellys. That show was really good.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I wasn't able to stomach Noah either. It's like he's trying too hard. He doesn't connect with the audience at the same level. Stewart was so in tune with the medium, his sense of timing, grimaces, voice inflection, were impeccable. Maybe Noah makes strides at some point but it's going to take a while and don't want to be around watching someone learn on the job. Am already doing that with Bergevin. :sarcasm:

Actually the best comparable I can think of is TVA Sports' coverage of Habs games. Maybe I'll check back in in a few years but for now, can't stand it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know not everyone here likes The Americans, it has a slow-moving storyteling pace reminiscent a little of BCS. Some of the situations are preposterous, especially covert KGB agents juggling so many identities, missions and family obligations and so far into Season 2, not yet blowing their covers with an enemy who might ... still be alive. As in Season 1, a Montreal reference in Episode 2 of Season 2. We got a quota system going.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I know not everyone here likes The Americans, it has a slow-moving storyteling pace reminiscent a little of BCS. Some of the situations are preposterous, especially covert KGB agents juggling so many identities, missions and family obligations and so far into Season 2, not yet blowing their covers with an enemy who might ... still be alive. As in Season 1, a Montreal reference in Episode 2 of Season 2. We got a quota system going.

To be honest the main reason I watch the show it because of the era it's set in. I have very little attachment to the characters and, quite frankly, they bore me. But the whole Cold War aura is super interesting as a backdrop.

P.S. Sequences that take place in Russia are horribly done. As a Russian who's lived in the country during the 80's I know just how much of a disconnect with reality there is.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be honest the main reason I watch the show it because of the era it's set in. I have very little attachment to the characters and, quite frankly, they bore me. But the whole Cold War aura is super interesting as a backdrop.

P.S. Sequences that take place in Russia are horribly done. As a Russian who's lived in the country during the 80's I know just how much of a disconnect with reality there is.

Low budget alert? :laugh:

I don't know how far in you are, but yeah, a lot of the characters are bland. This ain't Banshee. :sarcasm:

I too am drawn in by the Cold War aspects, there is human chess-playing and each side waiting for the other to commit the irreparable stumble. Of course, it can't be totally irreparable, or we wouldn't have 4 Seasons' worth, would we. And how about that Nina. :sarcasm:

Jan 15, 2016
In a foxhole
Low budget alert? :laugh:

I don't know how far in you are, but yeah, a lot of the characters are bland. This ain't Banshee. :sarcasm:

I too am drawn in by the Cold War aspects, there is human chess-playing and each side waiting for the other to commit the irreparable stumble. Of course, it can't be totally irreparable, or we wouldn't have 4 Seasons' worth, would we. And how about that Nina. :sarcasm:

Nina! :naughty: I was glad to see her in the recent X-Files.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Something I don't remember being mentioned here is just how good Amazon Original series have been. With all the hype Netflix has been receiving for their lineup over the years I think Amazon's productions are somewhat overlooked.

Consider these three for example: Hand of God, Bosch, The Man in The High Castle. All very good (the last one - great).

Then you have their comedies which I'm not into, but friends are raving about Transparent for example.

All in all, it seems to me that Amazon is off to a great start, better than the one Netflix had. While HoC & OITNB were exiting at the time, both fell off a cliff and are no longer in the top tier of TV series IMO.

We'll see if Amazon keeps up its quality over the years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Something I don't remember being mentioned here is just how good Amazon Original series have been. With all the hype Netflix has been receiving for their lineup over the years I think Amazon's productions are somewhat overlooked.

Consider these three for example: Hand of God, Bosch, The Man in The High Castle. All very good (the last one - great).

Therrien as Big "Bosch" Toenails.
Bergevin as "The Man in THe High Castle".
Geoff as "The Hand of God".

We'll see if Amazon keeps up its quality over the years.

Why keep up? Can't they just bank on the status quo? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad