OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I pay for what I watch so I always have a reaction where some may not.

Yeah, I know, but I didn't refer to illegal activities in my previous post. I was speaking of legitimate on-demand streaming services as opposed to cable/satellite.

P.S. I will only look into the "grey area" when a said TV series is not available to me legally.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yeah you really missed the point.

They did it for LOTR which did not have that high of a budget and came out over a decade ago. I'm sure they could have done it for this. You just need some good makeup artists.

They have a visual style to respect/follow with Warcraft, putting a guy a in orc suit would have resulted in some serious nerdrage within their target audience.

And since they started by adapting Orcs and Humans they are obviously gunning for a few sequels, so at the very least CGI will allows them to keep consistency with the world and non-human characters.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
They have a visual style to respect/follow with Warcraft, putting a guy a in orc suit would have resulted in some serious nerdrage within their target audience.

And since they started by adapting Orcs and Humans they are obviously gunning for a few sequels, so at the very least CGI will allows them to keep consistency with the world and non-human characters.

I would have preferred going full CGI then as the visuals clash quite a bit from what is seen in the trailer. Humans look real but the Orcs all look expressionless and fake. I know why they did that, I just don't think it looks very good. It can be done better that's for sure. Just look at planet of the apes.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
A hundred million dollar budget in 2003 was hardly not a high budget. Those were big, expensive movies.

Yeah but they are 4 hours long each. One hobbit movie cost almost as much as all 3 LOTR films and it's shorter and a CGI fest. LOTR was expensive but considering the run time and scale of the movie, I would say it's not that bad. I mean, many animated kids movies are way more expensive than that. CGI is not as cheap as everyone believes it is. Motion capture is even more expensive.

Also, I looked it up and Warcraft is way over the 100 million mark and it's not even done yet. I'm sure money was not an issue.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Watched Martian, liked it. Kind of wish the ending was a little different and it did steal some ideas and actors from Interstellar but nothing major.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I pay for what I watch so I always have a reaction where some may not.

I think tv stations should pay people who watch their channels to have to watch their ads.

Not only are people are paying for a service, but they force them to endure hours upon hours of advertisement. If one day I decide to own a tv subscription (which will never happen) I would try to convince whatever distributor to pay me 75$ a month for it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot about PoP, probably because I wish that thing was never made in the first place. Didn't see Love & Other Drugs... now I'm curious.

It's definitely better than Prince of Persia and Gyllenhaal is not the problem. He has good chemistry with Anne Hathaway and plays his part with a lot of charisma, but the movie never figures out what it wants to be so instead it ends up covering a few different genres, depending on the scene, and tackles them poorly. It can't decide if it wants to be a romantic comedy or a sappy after school special about illness or a satire of the pharmaceutical industry or what. It ends up being likeable enough, but it always seems a bit unsure of itself so it never really gets off the ground and while both leads are good, in the end, I didn't really care much about them, which sinks the whole project, IMO.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
why is that CGI keeps getting worst and worst and worst every time i see a movie full of it?

warcraft almost making the hoobit look good :laugh:

Last edited:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
why is that CGI keeps getting worst and worst and worst every time i see a movie full of it?

This.

I'm getting sick and tired of the CGI filled movies. Real stuff always looks better on camera, period. I also noticed that a few CGI scenes in 20 years old movies looks as good as today's one. Something's wrong.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
This.

I'm getting sick and tired of the CGI filled movies. Real stuff always looks better on camera, period. I also noticed that a few CGI scenes in 20 years old movies looks as good as today's one. Something's wrong.

A lot of filmmakers now just stand in front of a computer screen all day during pre- and post-production. IIRC, guys like Chris Nolan and Tarantino talked about the importance of actually going to the movies and look a it on the big screen in order to better appreciate these subtelties.

Because I totally agree that in a lot of blockbusters, there's way too much CGI and bad one at that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Having watched 6 episodes of the current season I don't think there's a better TV show on right now than Homeland. It has definitely sneaked up on me, but with both Fargo & The Affair under-delivering (relatively speaking of course, both are still great), Homeland's fifth season stands on its own at the very top of the pyramid. I feel like a crack addict shivering from withdrawal and shaking in anticipation from one episode to the next. Must see TV IMO.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

This.

It can look great when it's not the only thing on the screen. Look at MadMax. You know the CGI is there (obviously) but they blend it in so well that it looks seamless. I just wish it wasn't relied upon as much as it is. Practical effects, stunts and great costumes and makeup will always look better

Ash vs Evil Dead is off to a good start.

Can't wait to watch that. I rewatched Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness just for this show. Heard it was really good.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
It can look great when it's not the only thing on the screen. Look at MadMax. You know the CGI is there (obviously) but they blend it in so well that it looks seamless. I just wish it wasn't relied upon as much as it is. Practical effects, stunts and great costumes and makeup will always look better

Oh yes, that's obvious, I agree. There's some well done CGI, especially when it's complementary to nice shots on film. We tend to notice what's all CGI and way too over the top. It makes the whole scenes look unrealistic.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Having watched 6 episodes of the current season I don't think there's a better TV show on right now than Homeland. It has definitely snack up on me, but with both Fargo & The Affair under-delivering (relatively speaking of course, both are still great), Homeland's fifth season stands on its own at the very top of the pyramid. I feel like a crack addict shivering from withdrawal and shaking in anticipation from one episode to the next. Must see TV IMO.

Totally forgot about Homeland starting again. Thank you sir for reminding me :)

Im off to binge watch the first 6 eps of the fifth season. :handclap:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Having watched 6 episodes of the current season I don't think there's a better TV show on right now than Homeland. It has definitely snack up on me, but with both Fargo & The Affair under-delivering (relatively speaking of course, both are still great), Homeland's fifth season stands on its own at the very top of the pyramid. I feel like a crack addict shivering from withdrawal and shaking in anticipation from one episode to the next. Must see TV IMO.

I'm just about done with The Affair. I enjoyed the first season and thought it started off the series well. This second year is just blah and I'm losing interest real fast. Hope it picks up sometime soon.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
For no good reason I watched Fellowship of the Ring on Netflix today. I have to say, Frodo is such a useless sack of skin compared to Bilbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad