OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Well , they are universally regarded as pretty good. We all know how picky you are by now lol.

Some movies are recognized as pretty good universally at first but then they are seen as being crap a few years later, such as Iron Man 3 which is universally regarded as good or decent... When there's no doubt it's one of the crappiest movie ever made.

Pluto Nash ≈ Iron Man 3

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well , they are universally regarded as pretty good. We all know how picky you are by now lol.

Everybody should be picky!

Look at Fury Road. Was praised. And then realised that people have low standards. lol

I just felt like his Trek was dumb and unoriginal, the writing was poor. He wanted to make a more action-driven Trek in a concept that shouldn't be. Also I wasn't impressed by Chris Pine.

Then the second came about and I will say most people are more in line with me on this one.

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Everybody should be picky!

Look at Fury Road. Was praised. And then realised that people have low standards. lol

I just felt like his Trek was dumb and unoriginal, the writing was poor. He wanted to make a more action-driven Trek in a concept that shouldn't be. Also I wasn't impressed by Chris Pine.

Then the second came about and I will say most people are more in line with me on this one.

Actually Fury Road kept its rating and even increased a little bit after it came to dvd.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Actually Fury Road kept its rating and even increased a little bit after it came to dvd.

Still vastly overrated. I liked it and it's a good movie for what it is but it's not a masterpiece and not even close to it. It keeping its rating on web site like imdb doesn't mean much. The Avengers is still rated higher than many classics on imdb. It doesn't make it a classic. I'm sure people will have forgotten The Avengers in 20 years.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Still vastly overrated. I liked it and it's a good movie for what it is but it's not a masterpiece and not even close to it. It keeping its rating on web site like imdb doesn't mean much. The Avengers is still rated higher than many classics on imdb. It doesn't make it a classic. I'm sure people will have forgotten The Avengers in 20 years.

Yeah but I don't think Fury Road will be forgotten, its a very good science fiction that is reminiscent of the 1980s classics. Its also very original as it created an entire new universe that can built on.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Just watched the pilot for Supergirl. Well that was...interesting. Not sure if I will follow it religiously but still pretty awesome. :popcorn:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Just watched the pilot for Supergirl. Well that was...interesting. Not sure if I will follow it religiously but still pretty awesome. :popcorn:

If you can get over the fact that the 2nd most powerful person on the planet (or at least top 5 in the DC world) is so incredibly neurotic then yeah, it's ok

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

What about its rating on websites that score actual critic reviews like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I meant "I" realised that they had low standards. :D

I feel that nowadays people are so starved for good movies and overhype everything that has little good in them.

For example Sicario, everybody I heard talk about this said it was great, Villeneuve was the greatest director ever.

And then....nope.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Just bought my tickets to Spectre today. Quite excited to see this chapter of Bond

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I meant "I" realised that they had low standards. :D

I feel that nowadays people are so starved for good movies and overhype everything that has little good in them.

For example Sicario, everybody I heard talk about this said it was great, Villeneuve was the greatest director ever.

And then....nope.

What's your favorite movie of the year.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I watched the movie "Amy" about Amy Winehouse's life last night. It was actually pretty good and gave some good insight into her. I didn't know much about her. Although it was obviously sad at the end, definitely worth a watch.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

And then....nope.

What does "and then nope" even mean?

Sounds like you're making the mistake of assuming your personal opinions of reflective of anything more than...your personal opinions.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

i'm so excited for that movie

I have long given up on Quentin so I'm not expecting much. Used to be a huge fan (Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie of all time), but I couldn't connect with him since Jackie Brown.

The three back-to-back-to-back masterpieces (IMO) of 92-94 will always have him as one of the best directors/writers in my mind.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I have long given up on Quentin so I'm not expecting much. Used to be a huge fan (Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie of all time), but I couldn't connect with him since Jackie Brown.

The three back-to-back-to-back masterpieces (IMO) of 92-94 will always have him as one of the best directors/writers in my mind.

Reservoir Dogs is awful though.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

i'm so excited for that movie

I have no idea what it's about even after watching the trailer but I love Tarantino's stuff and I know this is gonna be good. Tarantino and Samuel Jackson is always a winning formula.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto

I feel the exact same way about QT.

His cameos are terrible as well. Hearing people say django was great while Tarantino acted in it and ruined the movie (terrible australian), wasted such an allstar cast. ********....the Jew Bear cameo by Eli roth...never was there a more annoying character I wanted to die from nazi gunfire:popcorn:

QT just got too full of himself. I don't expect squat from the new flick coming out. Sucks, he was one of my favs with scorsese & mann.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I feel the exact same way about QT.

His cameos are terrible as well. Hearing people say django was great while Tarantino acted in it and ruined the movie (terrible australian), wasted such an allstar cast. ********....the Jew Bear cameo by Eli roth...never was there a more annoying character I wanted to die from nazi gunfire:popcorn:

QT just got too full of himself. I don't expect squat from the new flick coming out. Sucks, he was one of my favs with scorsese & mann.

Django was terrible all around IMO. QT's cameo only provided the final nail in its coffin from where I stand.

I can't quite get a grip on what QT has been trying to do. It's not a firm opinion by any means, but it feels like he's been trying to out-do his last movie while sticking to the exact same shtick every single time. It got old really quick for me. But I also get why some many (most?) like it, because there is something there and his touch is always felt through anything he does. It's just that, as a hardcore fan of his in the past, I want to see more growth.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I mentioned the effects and they were good. But not good enough to save this horrible film. Personally it's the worst film to earn billions.

If you honestly think that 'Star Wars' is worse than 'Transformers' it's very difficult to take anything you say about movies seriously.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Saw The Martian.

Well made movie but it's in line with the Sandra Bullock in space flick. It's someone that tries to survive in space/another planet. I don't get the appeal.

The science of 'The Martian' is much better than 'Gravity' which, amazingly, didn't seem to fully understand gravity, among many other scientific goofs.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The second season of Fargo is not nearly as good as the first one IMO. There, I said it.

I know it's only four episodes in, and it has some nice things going for it (fantastic split screen editing in the last episode), but it lacks the great cast of the first one (Freeman & Thornton killed their roles) as well as the story-line is moving at a glacial pace with some considerable filler to it IMO. And where the heck is my dry, dark humor? That well has seemingly dried up as well.

Hopefully it picks up during its second half, but so far I can't help but be disappointed.

What does everyone else think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad