OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
*****? You've never seen the lord of the rings? Have you been hiding in a cave for the past 15 years lol

Nah, I've seen in multiple times. First time I've watched since after Hobbit came out, though.

I just forgot how much of a ***** Frodo is, is all.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Totally forgot about Homeland starting again. Thank you sir for reminding me :)

Im off to binge watch the first 6 eps of the fifth season. :handclap:

Lucky you! Enjoy! :D

I wish I could wipe all memories of season five from my mind and watch it again fresh. It's a thrill (and it only gets better as the season progresses).

I'm just about done with The Affair. I enjoyed the first season and thought it started off the series well. This second year is just blah and I'm losing interest real fast. Hope it picks up sometime soon.

I agree unfortunately. I do not like Noah/Alison dynamic, I don't understand it this season. The one main reason I'm enjoying it still is Helen - I love the character and it's always a bit of a letdown when her part ends during an episode.

The first season had a much, much more compelling plot-line and it feels like they just can't replicate that magic. I don't blame them - it's a difficult thing to do. Watching an affair on your television set will always be more entertaining than watching a divorce. There's just no denying that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
*****? You've never seen the lord of the rings? Have you been hiding in a cave for the past 15 years lol

Here! Here!

I haven't seen any LoTR movies, or most sci-fi, superhero, fantasy movies.

My cave is nice and cosy, thank you very much. :D

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Lucky you! Enjoy! :D

I wish I could wipe all memories of season five from my mind and watch it again fresh. It's a thrill (and it only gets better as the season progresses).

I agree unfortunately. I do not like Noah/Alison dynamic, I don't understand it this season. The one main reason I'm enjoying it still is Helen - I love the character and it's always a bit of a letdown when her part ends during an episode.

The first season had a much, much more compelling plot-line and it feels like they just can't replicate that magic. I don't blame them - it's a difficult thing to do. Watching an affair on your television set will always be more entertaining than watching a divorce. There's just no denying that.

Season 1 of The Affair was amazing and I thought after the season ended that they were going to move on with the murder mystery angle. I don't like the allyson and Noah dynamic. It's depressing. Allyson is not a character with a whole lot of redeeming qualities either. She slept with that ******* last season and now she's back with whatshisface.

I'm surprised that you like Helen so much. I don't like her character. I find her weak and annoying. Although my girlfriend commented how she doesn't understand how the guys think she's attractive because she doesn't think she is and that's when I had to admit that I used to have a crush on her. She used to be quite a fox in her younger years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I was bored one day(long time ago) so watched all of the LOTR extended versions back to back. Yes...that's all I did that day.

I've never watched Star Wars though, likely never will.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
i've seen the first movie, thought it was ok at best, never watched the others

I think most people (including myself) had that reaction to the first, but if you watch the trilogy, it makes Fellowship seem much better as the part of a whole. TT and ROTK are just phenomenal...seriously, give them a watch. I mean...it's Viggo.

I feel the same way about TDKR. Everyone ***** on it, but all three together give me exactly what I want in an arc and each one delivers a different emotion. Bane so underrated, particularly if you try to imagine what he would be in the Nolan universe before the movie came out. I don't think people could, similar to Heath's Joker. Hardy (and Nolan) nailed it.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
i've seen the first movie, thought it was ok at best, never watched the others

I saw the first one in theaters. Didn't really know what I was getting into. Had the same reaction as you. I thought it was OK but the cliffhanger ending was disappointing (Didn't know it was a trilogy). My friends were really into it so they made me watch the first again and we later went to the theater to see TT. I was immediately a fanboy after that. Probably my favorite movies.

I think just having a better idea of what was happening along with remembering all the characters helped me appreciate it. It's one of those movies where you have to be in the mood. Now that you know what it is then you would probably enjoy it much more.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was bored one day(long time ago) so watched all of the LOTR extended versions back to back. Yes...that's all I did that day.

So you are bored enough to watch all three Lord of the Rings movies back-to-back-to-back but not bored enough to give Star Wars a try?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So you are bored enough to watch all three Lord of the Rings movies back-to-back-to-back but not bored enough to give Star Wars a try?

Truthfully, I used to play video games related to LOTR's setting. At the time it was of greater interest to me.

Star Wars just never appealed to me, I'm not sure why.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I saw the first one in theaters. Didn't really know what I was getting into. Had the same reaction as you. I thought it was OK but the cliffhanger ending was disappointing (Didn't know it was a trilogy). My friends were really into it so they made me watch the first again and we later went to the theater to see TT. I was immediately a fanboy after that. Probably my favorite movies.

I think just having a better idea of what was happening along with remembering all the characters helped me appreciate it. It's one of those movies where you have to be in the mood. Now that you know what it is then you would probably enjoy it much more.

Totally. Exactly this.

I remember my room in 2004 (I think) had 4 laminated posters on backboards mounted onto walls.

The three LOTR posters and Theo from the first outdoor classic, where he's breathing into the cold with the toque.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It's interesting how polarizing these franchises can be. For cinematography and effects only, one is clearly better.

But I guess it comes down to sub-genre preference.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Season 1 of The Affair was amazing and I thought after the season ended that they were going to move on with the murder mystery angle. I don't like the allyson and Noah dynamic. It's depressing. Allyson is not a character with a whole lot of redeeming qualities either. She slept with that ******* last season and now she's back with whatshisface.

I'm surprised that you like Helen so much. I don't like her character. I find her weak and annoying. Although my girlfriend commented how she doesn't understand how the guys think she's attractive because she doesn't think she is and that's when I had to admit that I used to have a crush on her. She used to be quite a fox in her younger years.

And I'm surprised by your impression of Helen. I think she's the strongest-willed character of the entire show. Doesn't mean she's perfect, but trying to keep the family afloat after her husband walked out on her isn't easy. She struggled at first, because, remember - she still loved Noah at the time he quit on her, but she seems to have found her inner peace and balance recently and that I admire greatly. She wasn't brought up in an easy environment (her parents), but I feel like she's become an honest and understanding person despite that. Also, she was the one who buried the hatchet with her soon to be ex-husband, and that was a very difficult thing to do I'm sure. So, I have the exact opposite opinion of her than you do. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong by any means. That's the beauty of The Affair - its characters are rich and multi-grained. You're free to make of them what you wish - that's part of the ride.

Speaking of Noah... I find him to be an egoistic, weak-minded and selfish person. It might sound harsh, but that's just who he is. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy his character because it has some very interesting traits to it as well - the aggression, the darkness are pretty effective too.

P.S. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I find Maura Tierney to be one very attractive woman still. It's not why I like Helen as a character however, just wanted to get that out there.

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
It's interesting how polarizing these franchises can be. For cinematography and effects only, one is clearly better.

But I guess it comes down to sub-genre preference.

Star Wars revolutionized modern cinema and was and still is the biggest movie phenomenon of all time. I don't get where your going with your sub genre stuff.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Star Wars revolutionized modern cinema and was and still is the biggest movie phenomenon of all time. I don't get where your going with your sub genre stuff.

Sci-fi and Fantasy are considered by many as a single broad genre. Obviously Star Wars and LOR would be in subsets of the former and the latter.

Yes there was a large technological advance in Star Wars in it's time. Same with the original Journey to the Centre of the Earth in it's time. And Lord of the Rings in it's time.

I was an adult when SW came out. There weren't that many blockbuster films aimed at adolescent audiences then. And it was overhyped beyond imagination.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Nah, I've seen in multiple times. First time I've watched since after Hobbit came out, though.

I just forgot how much of a ***** Frodo is, is all.

And that was the whole idea, really.

The only guy who can carry that ring is the unambitious, whiny little hobbit who cares about his fellows back home and nothing else.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
And I'm surprised by your impression of Helen. I think she's the strongest-willed character of the entire show. Doesn't mean she's perfect, but trying to keep the family afloat after her husband walked out on her isn't easy. She struggled at first, because, remember - she still loved Noah at the time he quit on her, but she seems to have found her inner peace and balance recently and that I admire greatly. She wasn't brought up in an easy environment (her parents), but I feel like she's become an honest and understanding person despite that. Also, she was the one who buried the hatchet with her soon to be ex-husband, and that was a very difficult thing to do I'm sure. So, I have the exact opposite opinion of her than you do. Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong by any means. That's the beauty of The Affair - its characters are rich and multi-grained. You're free to make of them what you wish - that's part of the ride.

Speaking of Noah... I find him to be an egoistic, weak-minded and selfish person. It might sound harsh, but that's just who he is. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy his character because it has some very interesting traits to it as well - the aggression, the darkness are pretty effective too.

P.S. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I find Maura Tierney to be one very attractive woman still. It's not why I like Helen as a character however, just wanted to get that out there.

Again I find Helen one dimensional and feel you are projecting your own beliefs on to her character. I was raised by a single mom and two sisters so I know first hand the hardships of being a single parent. She said it herself, she could have had any guy yet she "settled" on Noah because he was the safe choice. He was the last person she ever though would cheat on her. As for burying the hatchet, she wasn't forced to take him back for financial reasons like most struggling single parents but she did it because she was dependent on him.

I fail to see how being born in to a family so rich that she would never have to work a day in her life qualifies as not an easy environment. Were her parents abusive in anyway? Sure they were probably controlling and overbearing but that's another reason why she's weak. She's the kind of person who's parents made most of the decisions for her and never had to work for anything a day in her life proven by the fact that her one and only business is financially unsustainable.

Good chat. I'm off to count some sheep.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Wow your GF wants you to watch it? Lucky you. Usually it works the other way around.

My GF and I are both huge fans of the LOTR trilogy but we only watched it together for the first time a few months ago. She was whispering the dialogue for the first 10 mins before I had to tell her stop :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad