OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
My wife refuses to watch Star Wars and/or Lord of the Rings. I've even tried to bribe her, she won't do it. I might have to get a divorce, I'm sure the kids will understand.

:laugh:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
My wife refuses to watch Star Wars and/or Lord of the Rings. I've even tried to bribe her, she won't do it. I might have to get a divorce, I'm sure the kids will understand.

:laugh:

Damn, that sucks man. My GF and I have been planning on going to watch the new Star Wars for our anniversary for a while now.

Your gf is Galadriel?:thumbu:

Haha, probably as blonde as her.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Again I find Helen one dimensional and feel you are projecting your own beliefs on to her character. I was raised by a single mom and two sisters so I know first hand the hardships of being a single parent. She said it herself, she could have had any guy yet she "settled" on Noah because he was the safe choice. He was the last person she ever though would cheat on her. As for burying the hatchet, she wasn't forced to take him back for financial reasons like most struggling single parents but she did it because she was dependent on him.

I fail to see how being born in to a family so rich that she would never have to work a day in her life qualifies as not an easy environment. Were her parents abusive in anyway? Sure they were probably controlling and overbearing but that's another reason why she's weak. She's the kind of person who's parents made most of the decisions for her and never had to work for anything a day in her life proven by the fact that her one and only business is financially unsustainable.

Good chat. I'm off to count some sheep.

I just empathize with a woman who's never given the same leeway as Noah is in the show. If you remember that episode where she is involved in a DUI. That highlights how important it is for her not to mess things up; it's a bit tragic really.

I do see someone in her who was born with a silver spoon in mouth, but that just the first layer of her character in my opinion, because there are severe parental issues there that formed her personality. Her mother who never gave a flying kite about her, the woman that did everything possible to sabotage her marriage with Noah and was glad when it happened. And her father Bruce, a true world class *******, who is controlling, bitter and toxic to anyone he comes in contact with.

I disagree that money makes everything easy, that's just a simplistic way of looking at things IMO.

The hatchet portion was me referring to her agreeing to end mediation/court so that Noah could have co-custody of their children. That was not an easy decision to make, especially after she was hurt as much as she was by him. She might've said she "settled" on Noah, but it's clear she loved him very much and maybe still does. I don't see how a weak person can make this decision. I feel like what drove her to it was their children and their well-being. Noah isn't the most caring father and his kids are not always his focus, but they are always Helen's. Throwing her mother out was also not something a weak-minded individual would do.

Again, I can see where you get the opinion of Helen being spoiled - it's there and it's one of her sides. I can also see how you find her weak - she's been never supported by or believed in by her parents (beyond money). She's not perfect, no one is in The Affair. But I couldn't disagree with you more when you say that's she's one-dimensional.

As for me projecting my own beliefs - that's something The Affair challenges us to do. We're not always given everything on a silver platter - there are things we should fill in as the viewers. It's what makes dramas like these so entertaining to watch for me and others I'm sure. It is also why we can have these in-depth character analysis discussions.

Agreed, good chat, glad to have found someone else who is seemingly as invested in this show as I am.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
why is that CGI keeps getting worst and worst and worst every time i see a movie full of it?

warcraft almost making the hoobit look good :laugh:

Yea I noticed that in recent years. Like the Lizard in Amazing Spider-Man looked like bad CGI from 1996. And Hulk from AoU actually looked worse than he was in Avengers. Which makes no sense. :laugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I remember buying warcraft 1: orcs vs humans (?) back when I was little, then I played warcraft 2 on Kali network and TEN, and then playing the battlenet edition in ranked as well, hardcore mods like DotA:RoC and All*, WoW, Etc... but man does that movie look like it's ****. And it has one of my favourite actors in it too, the "guy" from Vikings... bleh... *end rant*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so best undisputed actor in the world right now? My vote is Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't recall a bad movie by him, ever. Donnie Darko being my favourite.

Only actor that comes close CURRENTLY but has lost some shine over the years, would be Leo Dicaprio. IMO obviously :).

Jake is good. But I would go for Matthew McConaughey.

Got the Oscar for Dallas Buyer's Club. Stole Decaprio's movie from under him by being in 5 minutes in Wolf of Wall Street. Add to that True Detective. Interstellar. Everything he touches turns gold. The guy is Mr. Renaissance.

I think he is one role away from being "the" guy of this generation. (also check out Mud and Killer Joe where he does a masterful work as a real psycho)

What channel is showing Penny Dreadful, can't find it.

Personally I get most of my TV stuff from DVDs. That's how I watched all my Mad Men stuff. That's how I discovered Penny Dreadful. (it was in a movie forum talking about a possible new take on LXG that some guy just said "why need another LXG when there's Penny Dreadful"?). That picked my interest and bought it for Halloween.

The logos say "Showtime" but I don't think that it's Canadian Showtime cause I would have seen it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's interesting how polarizing these franchises can be. For cinematography and effects only, one is clearly better.

But I guess it comes down to sub-genre preference.

LOTR is really something where I respect so much how it was made and how of an effort was put into it given that it's a genre movie, the effects were great, it's very watchable(I have the three films at home) but never really could get into it much and be a fan. Cause I never really cared for the story or the characters.

I think I would have liked it more if it had been centered around Viggo. Or maybe if it had been one movie?

That being said I can safely say that outside of Dark Knight no super-hero movie for example will ever touch LOTR. Cause nobody has the desire and dedication of Peter Jackson of making something great. (Unless maybe Zack Snyder surprise us all)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Personally I get most of my TV stuff from DVDs. That's how I watched all my Mad Men stuff. That's how I discovered Penny Dreadful. (it was in a movie forum talking about a possible new take on LXG that some guy just said "why need another LXG when there's Penny Dreadful"?). That picked my interest and bought it for Halloween.

The logos say "Showtime" but I don't think that it's Canadian Showtime cause I would have seen it.

You are correct, we don't get Showtime in Canada but some of its contents is made available through other channels. I only like to buy DVDs on series that I know I'll want to watch multiple times.

Not sure if this was answered already but it plays on TMN. And if you get a subscription you should have access to all episodes on demand (at least I do with Fibe)

Thanks for weighing in. Videotron has some TMN content on demand but not Penny Dreadful.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
You are correct, we don't get Showtime in Canada but some of its contents is made available through other channels. I only like to buy DVDs on series that I know I'll want to watch multiple times.

Thanks for weighing in. Videotron has some TMN content on demand but not Penny Dreadful.

That's strange. I watched a few episodes on TMN on demand earlier this year before I cancelled my TMN/HBO subscription.

EDIT: Just checked the website and they don't seem to have anything on demand for Penny Dreadful. Might have something to do with their deal with Showtime

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad