OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
:laugh: yeah the hard-on collider was a joke because, let's be honest, you've always wanted to see hard-ons slammed against each other near the speed of light.

But that documentary was fascinating. When they were freaking out that if the weight of the Higgs is 140 whatever it would prove the multiverse and would make particle physics irrelevant because then most particle would be in a completely different universe and therefore impossible to measure, and then they wait for the result of the actual weight of the particle....

Edited like a Hollywood blockbuster. Very Good documentary.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Let's try and keep this clean and semi on-topic, before we devolve into 'Big-Bang' jokes.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The birdman backlash is pretty amazing. I've never seen it personally, but what I recall is that when it came out it was seen as some deep provocative statement, it won best picture in a year (2014) with many great films. There were people calling it overrated tripe, but they were few and far between.

It took less than a year for the consensus to change, lol.

Happens pretty routinely with Best Picture winners. People see them after the Oscars and the hype and expect a life-altering masterpiece. And when it just turns out to be a cool movie, well that's not good enough and people get pissed.

Slumdog Millionaire went through the biggest reversal of opinions that I can remember in recent years. The Artist as well.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Got around to watching American Sniper last week. Not bad, at least me and the wife liked it.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Happens pretty routinely with Best Picture winners. People see them after the Oscars and the hype and expect a life-altering masterpiece. And when it just turns out to be a cool movie, well that's not good enough and people get pissed.

Slumdog Millionaire went through the biggest reversal of opinions that I can remember in recent years. The Artist as well.

Maybe because the The Artist was just a horse crap movie. Last year guardians of the galaxy was one of the highest rated movies. No Oscar nomination. Yet American sniper get Nominated with 72 % on RT
This year mad max and mission impossible are 2 of the highest rated movies by critics and I'll guarantee neihter gets nominated.
The best movies should win or get nominated, not movies that teach us a lesson about tolerance or about American heroes. The oscars are becoming a huge joke

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Maybe because the The Artist was just a horse crap movie. Last year guardians of the galaxy was one of the highest rated movies. No Oscar nomination. Yet American sniper get Nominated with 72 % on RT
This year mad max and mission impossible are 2 of the highest rated movies by critics and I'll guarantee neihter gets nominated.
The best movies should win or get nominated, not movies that teach us a lesson about tolerance or about American heroes. The oscars are becoming a huge joke

Using your own (faulty) logic against you, The Artist has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, so clearly the problem lies with you.

Comparing movies by their RT scores and claiming it as proof that a movie is great or better than another movie is just horribly flawed.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I sure hope Mad Max doesn't get anywhere close of an Oscar nod. I'm baffled at the reviews it got.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Using your own (faulty) logic against you, The Artist has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, so clearly the problem lies with you.

Comparing movies by their RT scores and claiming it as proof that a movie is great or better than another movie is just horribly flawed.

Movies like the artist will always get high ratings. It's an artsy flick which the Hollywood and foreign press love. Movie didn't kill at the box office. It might have been one of the worst movies I've seen. Every single movie that year nominated was just terrible except for moneyball. Warhorse? Extremely loud and dangerously close? Midnight in Paris? Seriously these are not Oscar worthy movies.
Like I said the oscars are becoming a joke

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Movies like the artist will always get high ratings. It's an artsy flick which the Hollywood and foreign press love. Movie didn't kill at the box office. It might have been one of the worst movies I've seen. Every single movie that year nominated was just terrible except for moneyball. Warhorse? Extremely loud and dangerously close? Midnight in Paris? Seriously these are not Oscar worthy movies.
Like I said the oscars are becoming a joke

So it's only the movies that get high Rotten Tomatoes scores that you like which should be worthy of Oscar consideration. I see now.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
So it's only the movies that get high Rotten Tomatoes scores that you like which should be worthy of Oscar consideration. I see now.

Did I say that? You're gonna argue every point I make. I can name 5 better movies that the horse crap movies that got nominated in 2012. If you liked any of those , except moneyball, well good for you. I thought they all stunk and were incredibly boring. Some directors like Malick , Spielberg or Eastwood will get nominated regardless of how good their movie is. Tree of life was one of the most discombobulated pieces of junk ever. How did it get nominated? Press falls in love with certain directors. It's plain as day

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Did anyone mentionned the TV Show "Mr. Robot"? It's a new show about a young hacker who gets in a group that want to wipe the entire population's depth. It's so good. Just watch it.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
The Martian is confusing, why use Matt Damon AND Jessica Chastain who were both in Interstellar and had very important roles to make another space movie

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Did I say that? You're gonna argue every point I make. I can name 5 better movies that the horse crap movies that got nominated in 2012. If you liked any of those , except moneyball, well good for you. I thought they all stunk and were incredibly boring. Some directors like Malick , Spielberg or Eastwood will get nominated regardless of how good their movie is. Tree of life was one of the most discombobulated pieces of junk ever. How did it get nominated? Press falls in love with certain directors. It's plain as day

I actually agree with you on some of your points, but you can't just say "look at these movies with amazing RT scores and I bet they won't even get nominated, the Oscars are a joke" and then "oh that movie with an amazing RT score? It doesn't count, of course the Academy loved it, it's still horse crap". Because that's exactly what your criteria for Oscar reform is coming down to - the movies you like should be nominated, the movies you don't like that were nominated are garbage. That's not exactly a real solution to the problems with the Oscars (and they definitely have problems). That's just complaining.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
The Martian is confusing, why use Matt Damon AND Jessica Chastain who were both in Interstellar and had very important roles to make another space movie

Yeah I know, and I heard that the Martian is the sequel to Good Will Hunting. Astronaut is the job Will end up in.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I actually agree with you on some of your points, but you can't just say "look at these movies with amazing RT scores and I bet they won't even get nominated, the Oscars are a joke" and then "oh that movie with an amazing RT score? It doesn't count, of course the Academy loved it, it's still horse crap". Because that's exactly what your criteria for Oscar reform is coming down to - the movies you like should be nominated, the movies you don't like that were nominated are garbage. That's not exactly a real solution to the problems with the Oscars (and they definitely have problems). That's just complaining.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Complaining. If enough people so so maybe the oscars wouldn't be so boring a predictable. They used to be fun to watch, now it's like just get to it. They need a better system for nominating movies. Throw movie fans a bone sometime. Nominate a movie like the Dark Knight , mission impossible or guardians. All were great. They won't win but appease the masses not just the selective few

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That's exactly what I'm doing. Complaining. If enough people so so maybe the oscars wouldn't be so boring a predictable. They used to be fun to watch, now it's like just get to it. They need a better system for nominating movies. Throw movie fans a bone sometime. Nominate a movie like the Dark Knight , mission impossible or guardians. All were great. They won't win but appease the masses not just the selective few

You're describing the "People's Choice Awards", not the Academy Awards. Giving awards for films like Guardians of the Galaxy is like calling McDonalds haute-cuisine because lots and lots of people go there. Popularity and quality are two entirely different yardsticks. Sure, I'd never say the Oscars measure quality perfectly, but at least they make the attempt. On the other hand, there's nothing more meaningless than awarding a film for attracting gazillions of 15-year-olds.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Well the nominee list expanded from a firm 5 to a flexible "10 at most" specifically in response to The Dark Knight not being nominated, so you can't say they haven't done anything.

Of course the downside to that could be that so far it hasn't lead to more "Dark Knight type" of movies getting nominated, it's just lead to even more Oscar bait-y stuff of lesser quality getting nominated (i.e. American Sniper).

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
You're describing the "People's Choice Awards", not the Academy Awards. Giving awards for films like Guardians of the Galaxy is like calling McDonalds haute-cuisine because lots and lots of people go there. Popularity and quality are two entirely different yardsticks. Sure, I'd never say the Oscars measure quality perfectly, but at least they make the attempt. On the other hand, there's nothing more meaningless than awarding a film for attracting gazillions of 15-year-olds.

So when Malick or Eastwood make a film they should almost automatically get nominated? Did you see tree of life? Seriously. One of the worst movies ever put ilin screen. If you saw it in theatres , you'd be one of th few. These types of movies should never be nominated for academy awards. Terence Malick has made one real good movie, splendor in the grass. The rest are just confusing works. But time and time again he gets the nod. American sniper wasn't even a good movie. Grand Budapest hotel was a lot better than bird man IMO. But some guy with a vote wants to me to be educated with the movies that win , not entertained. The oscars have become flute

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Two shows I started watching lately after reading about them here: Mr. Robot and The Brink. Mr.Robot is excellent, a 9.2 on Imdb and I can see why, well worth watching, a mix of computer tech and suspense. The Brink is also pretty good, a goofy comedy set in the middle East with Jack Black as the main character. A half-hour HBO series. Keep those great suggestions coming. Silicon Valley was great, I binged watched both seasons.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
So when Malick or Eastwood make a film they should almost automatically get nominated? Did you see tree of life? Seriously. One of the worst movies ever put ilin screen. If you saw it in theatres , you'd be one of th few. These types of movies should never be nominated for academy awards. Terence Malick has made one real good movie, splendor in the grass. The rest are just confusing works. But time and time again he gets the nod. American sniper wasn't even a good movie. Grand Budapest hotel was a lot better than bird man IMO. But some guy with a vote wants to me to be educated with the movies that win , not entertained. The oscars have become flute

Splendor in the Grass is not a Terrence Malick movie...

Also Malick's movies have been nominated twice for Best Picture (Thin Red Line & Tree of Life) so pump the brakes with "time and time again he gets the nod".

Yes, the Academy routinely rewards established directing giants like Eastwood and Spielberg with nominations that they probably don't deserve based on their reputation alone. NHL award voters do the exact same thing. And pretty much any annual voting polling from a field that remains generally unchanged from year to year. That's how it goes.

Personally, I don't want to live in a word where Guardians of the Galaxy and Mission Impossible are getting BP nods over The Tree of Life and The Artist. So I'll side with the Academy here.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Disliked Malick's Tree Of Life, but loved The New World and The Thin Red Line. Eastwood's Unforgiven was brilliant, Million Dollar Baby very good but not worthy of an award. So no, nobody gets an award just for showing up. Like I said the Academy is biased and imperfect, but I'll take their occasional pretentious pick over a template action flic.

IMO, American Sniper was a good film, but nothing special. I loved Grand Budapest Hotel -- as I mentioned earlier, it was my favourite film of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad