OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Target audience is kids that grew up in the 90s, if I had to guess.

Well I grew up in the 90s. I love games (A little too much even). This does not appeal to me at all.

Maybe it's more because I can't stand Sandler though.:laugh:

Oh well. Hopefully it ends up being good and it proves me wrong.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Adam Sandler movies don't flop. Remember Jack & Jill?
Production Budget: $79 Million
Worldwide: $149,673,788

He's just making movies with friends at this point. I still watch them, I just don't pay to go see them in a theater. Whenever this is on TV or Netflix, I'll probably give it a look.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well I grew up in the 90s. I love games (A little too much even). This does not appeal to me at all.

Maybe it's more because I can't stand Sandler though.:laugh:

Oh well. Hopefully it ends up being good and it proves me wrong.

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were the movies he made that get people to continue to go out and see his new films. That and people who remember him on SNL. Still not a good enough reason for me to see this **** though!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Target audience is kids that grew up in the 90s, if I had to guess.
Target audience is Gen Xers who will bring their kids. That's exactly what's going to happen in my house. I'll get all the in-jokes about 1982 and those old videogames and my kids will love the movie. Donkey Kong and Pac Man in real life will be heaven for my kids.

It's a formula and these guys know what they're doing. I'm sure the movie will make money. I'm also sure that its going to be really bad... :laugh:
Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were the movies he made that get people to continue to go out and see his new films. That and people who remember him on SNL. Still not a good enough reason for me to see this **** though!
I know it was a bad movie but I liked The Waterboy as well. Kathy Bates was absolutely awesome in it. There's a movie I would call "bad" but entertaining. My hope is that this is what happens with Pixels because I know I'm going to have to see it. My kids are going to drag me to this one there's no two ways about it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Target audience is Gen Xers who will bring their kids. That's exactly what's going to happen in my house. I'll get all the in-jokes about 1982 and those old videogames and my kids will love the movie. Donkey Kong and Pac Man in real life will be heaven for my kids.

It's a formula and these guys know what they're doing. I'm sure the movie will make money. I'm also sure that its going to be really bad... :laugh:

I know it was a bad movie but I liked The Waterboy as well. Kathy Bates was absolutely awesome in it. There's a movie I would call "bad" but entertaining. My hope is that this is what happens with Pixels because I know I'm going to have to see it. My kids are going to drag me to this one there's no two ways about it.

Yeah I didn't mind the Waterboy, forgot about that one. I liked the scene with Rob Schneider "Oh no, we suck again!"

i'd say people between 35 and 50 who went to the old arcade when they were young and think videogame stopped after Pacman. Which means A LOT OF PEOPLE $$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, I meant to put 80's but put 90's.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Remember reading a «moneyball» type of study with actors. XYZ actors automaticaly brings this $ and X amount of tickets sold etc. Can't find it anymore, but Sandler was at the top.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Remember reading a «moneyball» type of study with actors. XYZ actors automaticaly brings this $ and X amount of tickets sold etc. Can't find it anymore, but Sandler was at the top.

The issue is that Sandler's production company rakes in a lion's share of the profits and places a majority of the risk in the distributor's hands - Sony Pictures got a raw deal out of him.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I've just started watching Matt Leblanc's (joey from friends) new Tv show called episodes. I've seen 6 episodes so far but damn that show is good.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Looool that looks awful. It has no target audience at all. Going to flop hard.

First of all, totally agree about the target audience thing. I'm right there, grew up going to the arcade playing these games... there's no way I want to go see that in theater.

Secondly, a pixel is 2D. In 3D, you call that a voxel.

Yeah, I'm a nerd. Thanks for asking. :laugh:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Aside from those two I liked The Waterboy, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, The Longest Yard and the largely unknown cartoon Eight Crazy Nights. None of them are brilliant movies in any way, but I remember really laughing hard while watching them, but nowadays everything he does doesn't even make me crack a smile. Like I genuinely ponder when the funniness will start.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
First of all, totally agree about the target audience thing. I'm right there, grew up going to the arcade playing these games... there's no way I want to go see that in theater.

Secondly, a pixel is 2D. In 3D, you call that a voxel.

Yeah, I'm a nerd. Thanks for asking. :laugh:

It would still be a pixel since the characters are in 2d, no ?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And just because I think it needs to be said:

-R2D2 in Empire Strikes Back was almost as annoying as Jar Jar Binks (I said almost).
-Yoda's lines in the same movie were as dumb as whatever dialogue Qi Gon Jinn had in Phantom Menace.

Nostalgia is a powerful force.

The difference between ESB and, say, Phantom Menace is simple... Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

edit: and maybe a little bit of Alec Guiness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad