OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Saw gone girl recently. Amazing! Suspense thriller with many plot twists leaves you on the edge of your seat the whole way.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I liked it. My main gripe was Marco didn't feel like the main character at times. The actor who plays Kublai Khan steals the show.

Agree with you. I didn't care much about the Marco Polo character too but all other parts of the serie were actually really good. It's a bit hard at first to recognize all the different "asians" characters but when you get used to it the show is pretty enjoyable.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watched Enter the Dragon again yesterday.

Such a classic and at the same time, such a parody of itself. :laugh: The Jim Kelly moments, the Bruce Lee kung-fu souds :laugh:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Afternoon all...

Anyone watching Penny Dreadful perchance?

Gotta get back on that. Intriguing show for sure, the move out East made me forget to watch all of it.

Patiently waiting for Season 2. Great, great show. Eva Green is awesome

Indeed she is. I have a soft spot for French women.

On a completely different note, I still have to track down some other international releases over the year to come to give a proper assessment of 2014 in film (Force Majeure, Leviathan, etc.), but suffice to say that having just seen Birdman, I can definitely say it is my favorite of 2014 so far. I don't know if it will end up as my runaway fave like La Vie D'Adele was in 2013, yet it will definitely be tough to beat.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw Exodus: Gods and Kings with Christian Bale.

Just like Robin Hood, it's amazing how Ridley Scott manages to marshal big operations with gigantic budgets and manages to come up with zero new interesting angles on familiar subject matters. What's the point to do all this then? At least Noah was different in tackling the Noah's Ark's story. Even Robin Hood, Scott decided to say that the enemy was the french(and it was a good laugh) but here I don't think I've seen one little thing different from the Charlton Heston movie. Well maybe two things: he cut the beginning of the story(no baby Moses) and the end, barely 5 seconds of Moses working on the tablets. I thought going in that it was going to be at least a more realistic take on the subject matter but it wasn't. Beat for beat the same story we've always heard about.

Another thing is that come to think of it, when it comes down to it, the story dies not really need Moses cause God did all the job for him. It's really about God vs Ramses.

I'm giving points for budget and performances but the rest is pointless so it's getting a D.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Kimota, your last point seems like a criticism of the source material and not of Scott.

That can be argued to be a redeeeming feature of the film. It helps expose some of the failings of the source material.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Kimota, your last point seems like a criticism of the source material and not of Scott.

That can be argued to be a redeeeming feature of the film. It helps expose some of the failings of the source material.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have a fresh angle, why do it?

I remember a few years ago I saw a TV movie(that dated back from the 80s, I think) which had the Moses(played by Stacy Keach) story and most of the supernatural elements for example were taken out and it was pretty interesting. As opposed to Scott who does the same thing we've always seen. I don't see the point, really.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I meant inadvertent redeeming feature.

Agreed.

Although I'm still baffled why would someone spend time and money to do the same story. Especially if you take example of Noah where the director tried something different. I mean Ridley Scott did Prometheus which was to present some sort of possible new origin for Man. Then does this. It's baffling.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Agreed.

Although I'm still baffled why would someone spend time and money to do the same story. Especially if you take example of Noah where the director tried something different. I mean Ridley Scott did Prometheus which was to present some sort of possible new origin for Man. Then does this. It's baffling.

You could argue that Prometheus doesn't provide any new material over what the history channel provided on the same topic.

Ridley Scott is 77 years old. This may just be an organic decline in his creative aptitude.

As bad as Exodus may be, directing that project at age 76 is impressive.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

i realize im in the minority but i found that the show did not have a single redeeming value, not the plot, not the background, not even the acting. i keep hearing that eva green is great in it but i found her mediocre at best - and im a fan of hers. she was laughably bad in some scenes (the scene where she becomes possessed had me laughing).

the whole idea of combining monster tales into one story sounds good in practice, but to me it felt like a disjointed mess. or if you really want to be cynical, a great way to catch the zombie/vampire/werewolf/monster-of-the-week craze going on in Hollywood right now. not very creative, or new

harnett was good and he was the only character i had interest in following, to see where his plot went, but he was drowned in the mess around it.

anyways, hated it. it got excellent reviews from people here so its just me apparently :dunno:...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i realize im in the minority but i found that the show did not have a single redeeming value, not the plot, not the background, not even the acting. i keep hearing that eva green is great in it but i found her mediocre at best - and im a fan of hers. she was laughably bad in some scenes (the scene where she becomes possessed had me laughing).

the whole idea of combining monster tales into one story sounds good in practice, but to me it felt like a disjointed mess. or if you really want to be cynical, a great way to catch the zombie/vampire/werewolf/monster-of-the-week craze going on in Hollywood right now. not very creative, or new

harnett was good and he was the only character i had interest in following, to see where his plot went, but he was drowned in the mess around it.

anyways, hated it. it got excellent reviews from people here so its just me apparently :dunno:...

I personally found the gypsy medium scene to be one of the strongest moment. I don't know, I may have to watch it again.

I thought it was great overall, aside from a few mischap here and there (I found the flash back to be redundant and I don't think the Dorian Gray character really fits in there too well. Where did you stop watching the show ? I found the first few episode with the vampire to be weak myself.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I personally found the gypsy medium scene to be one of the strongest moment. I don't know, I may have to watch it again.

I thought it was great overall, aside from a few mischap here and there (I found the flash back to be redundant and I don't think the Dorian Gray character really fits in there too well. Where did you stop watching the show ? I found the first few episode with the vampire to be weak myself.

i stopped at the gypsy medium scene :laugh:

green acted the hell out of it but the scene still came across goofy for some reason

i know it's me. i very rarely stop watching a show until it's canceled and i usually have a very high tolerance of what i consider watchable, so i can't really explain why i feel so strongly about penny dreadful...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad