OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIIII

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
The Matrix movie universe ended in 1999. Anything that allegedly happened after that is part of an alternate reality I refuse to acknowledge.
I used to say the same thing about Highlander and 1986!

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Was such a great movie. I remember at the time i was studying Computer Engineering at Laval University and had no interest in watching the movie cause i thought hey it's about Cyberpunk or something so Hollywood will **** this up no way it's good. So i actually saw the movie at a Drive-In. The main movie was Wild Wild West. Such a disappointment. We almost left before WWW was over since we had no interest in The Matrix. But then we decided to stay and were served probably one of the best experience i ever had watching a movie in a Theater or Drive-In. It's the type of movie you had to watch on a big screen when it was released to understand how good it really was.
Real question: Have you tried watching it again? It's practically impossible. That movie was entirely a product of its time and is completely unwatchable today.

Now I want you to imagine a world where Will Smith accepted (originally declined the role) to star in this instead of a WWW.

There's a whole lot of "THE MESSAGE" in the Matrix and it's super cringe worthy (today). Was amazing when it came out though, that's true.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Munich: Edge of War (Netflix) : Although it's not based on a true story, the background events are from real life from the Munich agreement was enough to lure me in. Great acting, great story telling and the depiction of these times were sharply done. Slow moving thriller and even If we know how this end, it's all good. 8.8\10

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Real question: Have you tried watching it again? It's practically impossible. That movie was entirely a product of its time and is completely unwatchable today.

Now I want you to imagine a world where Will Smith accepted (originally declined the role) to star in this instead of a WWW.

There's a whole lot of "THE MESSAGE" in the Matrix and it's super cringe worthy (today). Was amazing when it came out though, that's true.

Just watched it. It's still great. Some things are dated in it but it doesn't really deter it that much. It's too bad they couldn't execute some good ideas with the 3 movies after.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
:laugh:

381pjk.jpg
There's a guy from the past! Good ol Ed. Was pretty pumped up seeing the tonight show with Johnny back in the day and waiting in the long line although that was no treat though,can get pretty hot in L.A.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's a guy from the past! Good ol Ed. Was pretty pumped up seeing the tonight show with Johnny back in the day and waiting in the long line although that was no treat though,can get pretty hot in L.A.

You attended The Tonight Show? That’s only one of the best shows of all time. Not to mention that a lot of the show’s recordings were lost due to the network taping over the show’s recordings.

Did anything in particular strike you when compared to your perception of it as a TV viewer?

Ed was the ultimate chump but who parlayed his show fame into lucrative opportunities.

His claim to fame as you know all too well, was his opening catch line, « Heeeeeeeere’s Johnny! ». I remember one guy developing a line of potty training products for kids and named his product after Ed’s catch line. It didn’t take long for the Tonight Show to get their lawyers involved.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You attended The Tonight Show? That’s only one of the best shows of all time. Not to mention that a lot of the show’s recordings were lost due to the network taping over the show’s recordings.

Did anything in particular strike you when compared to your perception of it as a TV viewer?

Ed was the ultimate chump but who parlayed his show fame into lucrative opportunities.

His claim to fame as you know all too well, was his opening catch line, « Heeeeeeeere’s Johnny! ». I remember one guy developing a line of potty training products for kids and named his product after Ed’s catch line. It didn’t take long for the Tonight Show to get their lawyers involved.

A few times,it wasn't always Carson though,which was a bit disappointing.

What I didn't like was the ''sign'' people prompting for specific audience interaction if you know what I mean,but that's pretty commonplace for most shows,just a learning experience back then.

I kind of expected to smell booze coming from the stage from the way everyone spoke of the show but did not discern any.

Was not aware of the potty issue,but it's been a while and might just have forgotten it,very possible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had heard about those audience reaction signs and how people attending tv show tapings always found them irritating and awkward. A lot of shows in those days used a warm up comedian to prep the audience. I’ve heard shows like Conan, before they downsized, did the same.

I imagine it was a taping and not a live show? What impression did you have of the band, the amount of seating, proximity to the stage? It always seems to look more grandiose on TV.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I had heard about those audience reaction signs and how people attending tv show tapings always found them irritating and awkward. A lot of shows in those days used a warm up comedian to prep the audience. I’ve heard shows like Conan, before they downsized, did the same.

I imagine it was a taping and not a live show? What impression did you have of the band, the amount of seating, proximity to the stage? It always seems to look more grandiose on TV.

Back then it was people holding up signs and evolved to teleprompters. The thing with L.A was a huge culture shock considering the glitz and all. So many homeless,beggars,graffiti,crime!

Back then it was a live show and the other shows,games show,comedy etc were taped. TV makes thing look and feel authentic,far from the case when seeing things up close and after editing and what not.
As for the band, not something I paid any particular attention to nor seating,it was fine though from what I recall.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just wrapped up Ep. 7 and the dammed thing kept me on the edge of my seat til the end, craving for more. I feel like starting over the whole series. :laugh:

I just hope the writers will have kept their eyes on the ball for the final 7 episodes. There is no official date for their release but industry sites are speculating that it’ll be around summer-spring.
I just finished watching the first 7 episodes and loved it. The whole series has been great and hopefully they end it well because that seems to be a tough task for most of the series I have watched. I'm still pissed at the way Lost ended and that was forever ago.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Can we talk about the bad movies? Do you know the Razzie Awards? An official ceremony for the worst movies, worst actors and actrices, worst production, etc. Razzie is for raspberry.

The 2000 ceremony is interresting. The Wild Wild West movie won the Razzie Award for worst movie, worst couple in a movie (Will Smith and Kevin Kline), worst screenplay, etc.
Robert Conrad who played James West (the major role) in the 60's tv serie went to the stage 3 times to receive the trophies. Actors and producers never go to this ceremony. It's funny to see the winners of each year, it tells how bad some movies can be and you might say, hey, they are absolutely right !

Now, copy-paste of the LA Times :
This year’s ceremony did break the 19-year streak of star no-shows. Robert Conrad, who played the original James West in the hit 1960s TV series “The Wild, Wild West,” took the stage three times to accept awards on behalf of the ridiculous 1999 film version, which he was not in. Roger Ebert likened the movie to “watching money burn on the screen.” Accepting for worst picture, Conrad said sarcastically, “I can’t tell you how happy this makes me.” The film’s Will Smith and Kevin Kline earned an award for worst on-screen chemistry.
Razzie Awards founder John Wilson, a promo writer-producer, said this year’s crop of crud was unique because “most of these bad movies actually made money.” Together, the five worst picture nominees--"Wild Wild West,” “Big Daddy,” “The Haunting,” “Star Wars: Episode I” and “Blair Witch Project"--made close to $940 million, he said, adding that “I’m not sure what that says about the moviegoing public.”

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Ozark season 4 part 1: 8/10 good show

Tick, Tick... Boom!: 7.3/10 decent musical

The Hand of God: 6.8/10 average movie

The French Dispatch: 6.5/10 below average movie outside of the painting part that was mostly good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just finished watching the first 7 episodes and loved it. The whole series has been great and hopefully they end it well because that seems to be a tough task for most of the series I have watched. I'm still pissed at the way Lost ended and that was forever ago.

Same for Game of Thrones. They ruined it except in their case, it was out of greed.

Reactions: OldCraig71

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Wait a minute, you went to the tonight show? How was it?

Well it was decades ago,but fine. We had family friends living in LA and I had two siblings living there for a while as well. So between everybody,met a lot of people and saw so many things over the years. A lot to see and do in LA. Did have my most mortifying embarrassing moment too,will never forget that sadly.:o:(

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Can we talk about the bad movies? Do you know the Razzie Awards? An official ceremony for the worst movies, worst actors and actrices, worst production, etc. Razzie is for raspberry.

The 2000 ceremony is interresting. The Wild Wild West movie won the Razzie Award for worst movie, worst couple in a movie (Will Smith and Kevin Kline), worst screenplay, etc.
Robert Conrad who played James West (the major role) in the 60's tv serie went to the stage 3 times to receive the trophies. Actors and producers never go to this ceremony. It's funny to see the winners of each year, it tells how bad some movies can be and you might say, hey, they are absolutely right !

Now, copy-paste of the LA Times :
This year’s ceremony did break the 19-year streak of star no-shows. Robert Conrad, who played the original James West in the hit 1960s TV series “The Wild, Wild West,” took the stage three times to accept awards on behalf of the ridiculous 1999 film version, which he was not in. Roger Ebert likened the movie to “watching money burn on the screen.” Accepting for worst picture, Conrad said sarcastically, “I can’t tell you how happy this makes me.” The film’s Will Smith and Kevin Kline earned an award for worst on-screen chemistry.
Razzie Awards founder John Wilson, a promo writer-producer, said this year’s crop of crud was unique because “most of these bad movies actually made money.” Together, the five worst picture nominees--"Wild Wild West,” “Big Daddy,” “The Haunting,” “Star Wars: Episode I” and “Blair Witch Project"--made close to $940 million, he said, adding that “I’m not sure what that says about the moviegoing public.”

Too funny,but he's right.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
8? That's it? Not 9.5 or 9.9? And I'm not comparing it to classics, just to the last 10 years.

Can an argument not be made?

If not, would love to see your 9 plus scoring shows and movies.

Not begrudging he who assigns a number as evaluation,but prefer straight opinion. As in, it's a must see, worth a look, had it's moments you might like it as well, absolute garbage etc. Of course with mentality like mine I'll probably never get an offer to judge Olympian gymnast events.:skeptic:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well it was decades ago,but fine. We had family friends living in LA and I had two siblings living there for a while as well. So between everybody,met a lot of people and saw so many things over the years. A lot to see and do in LA. Did have my most mortifying embarrassing moment too,will never forget that sadly.:o:(

Guess it was nice to experience for all the entertainment options but not a place you want to live at?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
8? That's it? Not 9.5 or 9.9? And I'm not comparing it to classics, just to the last 10 years.

Can an argument not be made?

If not, would love to see your 9 plus scoring shows and movies.

At 8.5/10 it's near all-time best for me. So 8/10 is a very good score. There is always something that could be better or that made no sense. For this season the lack of security system or security patrol for drug dealers is concerning, the family drama is forced or plain bathshit crazy and a character made a full 180 degree for no reason. That season was good but not perfect either.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

On the Tonight Show itself, how was it, how far is the public from the set and Johnny? is it hard to see? Do they force the public to clap? lol Is it long?

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Guess it was nice to experience for all the entertainment options but not a place you want to live at?

Me? certainly not, far from a fan of big cities and I appreciate the irony as my mrs has a condo in the largest city in the world. Aside from all the attractions the allure for me if I was a resident at the time would be that they have some good surfing spots that you can do year round and also play baseball and tennis,was not a golfer back then. Very unlike an elder sister that loved it there and enjoyed the lifestyle and the hobnobbing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad