OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIIII

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I think the main characters in Yellowstone are very good but the ranch hands really bring it down significantly. The supporting cast in Ozark has a distinct advantage.

As much as I love Yellowstone, I definitely agree. There are a few too many clunky acting performances from the supporting cast. It's like Sheridan got a bit too self indulgent at times by casting personal acquaintances and going on ranching tangents.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think the main characters in Yellowstone are very good but the ranch hands really bring it down significantly. The supporting cast in Ozark has a distinct advantage.

Those ranch hands are mostly bad acting awards waiting to be nominated. They’re just filler and backdrop noise. Guess you can’t only have open plains and mountains in your shots, it gets tedious.

I can’t get invested in most of the secondary characters on Yellowstone but different story on Ozark — casting is superb, as has been mentioned in here.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Riders of Justice: 8/10 very good movie.

Boîte noire (black box): 7.8/10 very good movie. Pierre Niney is great in it.

Harry Potter reunion: 7.5/10

Don't Look Up: 6.5/10 Not very good. Global warming is bad and so is ours leaders reaction to it. Beside that there is not a lot of reason to watch the movie outside of Cate Blanchett.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Received a few seasons of the show,light,funny,decent so far.

images

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm really liking 1883, nice, dark and spellbinding. Sam Elliott is masterful and I must say, Faith isn't a bad actress either, nor is her husband, country star Tim McGraw; his role reminds me a bit of Rip on Yellowstone.

I happen to check out The Gilded age;(Downton Abby in New-York). Hard to believe both were set in the same decade.

I was gonna take a shot at you and ask if 1883 was how you remember it being you were in the prime of your youth, but I won't.:)

Reactions: Runner77 and peate

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Saw OLD last night by M. Night Shyamalan, have to saw the story if interesting but it missed the mark big time. He had a good idea but probably should’ve waited another 4-5 years to write something scary and decent

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Riders of Justice: 8/10 very good movie.

Boîte noire (black box): 7.8/10 very good movie. Pierre Niney is great in it.

Harry Potter reunion: 7.5/10

Don't Look Up: 6.5/10 Not very good. Global warming is bad and so is ours leaders reaction to it. Beside that there is not a lot of reason to watch the movie outside of Cate Blanchett.
Don’t look up, I couldn’t finish it. I think 6.5 is being generous.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don’t look up, I couldn’t finish it. I think 6.5 is being generous.

I also bailed. The acting was superficial and wooden. All too often, too many brand name actors spoil the sauce.

This was a poorly cast movie, looked like buddies in the industry hiring their buddies.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm watching Deutchsland 83 and it's excellent. 9/10.
It's a spy serie but the other side, the east germans. Its strange that I watch a young east german in his mission and I care about him and in the same time I want him and his side to lose. He's the other side of the James Bond. But anyway, it's very well done and it's good to see actors I never saw before, the german actors.

I have a trivia question for you. If you watched hockey in the late 70's and the 80's, you have to know who is Jacques Ysaye, a belgium man who died in 2017. He did something we can't forget and it's related to hockey.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm watching Deutchsland 83 and it's excellent. 9/10.
It's a spy serie but the other side, the east germans. Its strange that I watch a young east german in his mission and I care about him and in the same time I want him and his side to lose. He's the other side of the James Bond. But anyway, it's very well done and it's good to see actors I never saw before, the german actors.

I have a trivia question for you. If you watched hockey in the late 70's and the 80's, you have to know who is Jacques Ysaye, a belgium man who died in 2017. He did something we can't forget and it's related to hockey.

Are you watching Deutchsland 83 on a streaming service? Seems like the kind of thing that would interest me.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I managed to eventually find it a few hours ago. lol I'm gonna check this out.
I watched two episodes so far and they were perfect. I was expecting something good but not that good. I could give a 10/10 note but I can't because I didn't see the rest. After 83, there is 86 and 89. The situation in East Germany change, so the story of our young spy and his bunch. There is a funny scene when east german geek don't have the american technology like the ibm who use those floppy disc in a sleeve, the germans only have floppy disc the size of 8 inches when they need the 5 inches to read what they just stoled. In 1983 the world was close to a nuke total war and the action is straight into that. There is not only spy content but personal life, but it's all well integrated in the intrigue. The music is excellent but not the complete songs. It's not a video clip. It's a good sample of the best songs of the 80's.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1883, Episode 5, from the 38 minute mark approximately. Noemi's passion and appeal, just jumps off the screen. I've rarely felt an actress deliver that kind of sensuality on screen and make it look so powerful and genuine. It's Gratiela Brancusi's first ever role but does she ever nail it. That could have been a spinoff story all its own.

Scene begins around the 38 minute mark, but then resumes around the 45 mark.

1883 continues to deliver, week after week. Now tackling Ep. 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
1883, Episode 5, from the 38 minute mark approximately. Noemi's passion and appeal, just jumps off the screen. I've rarely felt an actress deliver that kind of sensuality on screen and make it look so powerful and genuine. It's Gratiela Brancusi's first ever role but does she ever nail it. That could have been a spinoff story all its own.

It's a well done show.

Nothing fancy, nothing new, just a straight forward piece that tells a real good story. Doesn't try to be different or edgy, kind of a throwback that's been missing for a while.

This Taylor Sheridan cat is really having a great run. This, Yellowstone, Mayor of Kingstown, Sicario, Hell or high water.... guy's on fire since 2015

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I started Yellowstone and all I was thinking after 6-7 episodes is that Beth is Sue Ellen/JR, and the estranged bro is Bobby Ewing. And the loser bro is Cliff Barnes.
Beth annoys me to death. But she is a beaut when naked.
It’s Dallas. But with killings and violence.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

How familiar are you with the film ''The English patient''? enjoyed the film immensely btw, there is a scene and it is so convincing and pretty intense and hot and disturbingly arousing. It was uncomfortable looking around the room as we were just a few guy friends.We had called in pizza but regrettable should have called in something else.:doh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I went back to DC Titans after I stopped early in season 2. I thought the constant "character development" and flashbacks were kinda annoying... but the next episodes weren't as bad. I just started the 3rd season and I'll probably finish it next weekend. One thing's sure: I can't get over Krypto, the superdog. He's such a good boi!

As a big nerd/geek, the Legend of Vox Machina was finally released on Prime Video. I watch the first campaign of Critical Role, I almost finished their 2nd campaign and I stay up to date with their 3rd. I've enjoyed their campaigns (while playing in my own) and their Cartoon/Anime feels good so far! It's accurate enough to their first Campaign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad