OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIIII

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Man I can’t get into these at all. They all just annoy me.

I mean when you hear the epic music and you're like "ergh....." again?

I guess I'm fine with it as long as it's an era, meaning like the 2010s-2025s (max.) will have been the era of the superheros. Afterwards, please invest in other stuff because it's starting to get old.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who are we talking about here? I am old and stoned on shatter right now. I forget.

Scarlet Johansson. Her lawsuit against Disney for releasing the Black Widow film in theatres and Disney+.

Her gripe is in her contract, it says only theatrical release. So them releasing it on the streaming service simultaneously prevented her from making more money.

I get her side of the story. You look at Shang-Chi that is coming out on September 3rd, it will be exclusively in theaters.

But then there is also The Rock and Emily Blunt's Jungle Cruise movie that was also released in theaters and on Disney+.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
For years I've been complaining to one of my friends, that while Marvel is great at doing live action superhero movies and DC is not, they were bad at doing animations. Barely a good series, rarely a good animated movie, maybe aside from IM & the Technovores, while DC was producing several great animations yearly and topped it off with Flashpoint Paradox.

Well, Marvel finally did it.

I remember when Disney bought Marvel, many people were afraid Disney would ruin Marvel's product, but so far, they injected major life into their most dire department; animation.

So first came the first comic-based superhero animated to win an oscar, with Into The Spiderverse, and now... the What If? series, which is just superb. If every animated was like that... wow

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For years I've been complaining to one of my friends, that while Marvel is great at doing live action superhero movies and DC is not, they were bad at doing animations. Barely a good series, rarely a good animated movie, maybe aside from IM & the Technovores, while DC was producing several great animations yearly and topped it off with Flashpoint Paradox.

Well, Marvel finally did it.

I remember when Disney bought Marvel, many people were afraid Disney would ruin Marvel's product, but so far, they injected major life into their most dire department; animation.

So first came the first comic-based superhero animated to win an oscar, with Into The Spiderverse, and now... the What If? series, which is just superb. If every animated was like that... wow

Into the Spider-Verse was produced by Sony, not Disney. But it is an amazing movie.

I love DC's animated movies. I really enjoy them. Their live action movies not so much aside from one or two exceptions.

Marvel's MCU is my favorite. Even their MCU TV series on Disney+ are amazing. What If? is only two episodes in and I'm in awe. Love the animation. Love the theme of the show. And I'm really curious how it will all tie into the broader MCU that is now tackling the multiverse.

As for Marvel's animated shows, between 2008-2010, they had three amazing shows that had great animation and great storytelling. I'm talking about The Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Wolverine & the X-Men.

The problem is they didn't last long because Marvel opted to cut those shows and start with new ones due to the success of The Avengers and then Guardians of the Galaxy. So they began new animated shows geared more for kids: Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Those shows have their moments. But they lack the depth and more mature themes that those previous shows had.

Reactions: Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Into the Spider-Verse was produced by Sony, not Disney. But it is an amazing movie.

I love DC's animated movies. I really enjoy them. Their live action movies not so much aside from one or two exceptions.

Marvel's MCU is my favorite. Even their MCU TV series on Disney+ are amazing. What If? is only two episodes in and I'm in awe. Love the animation. Love the theme of the show. And I'm really curious how it will all tie into the broader MCU that is now tackling the multiverse.

As for Marvel's animated shows, between 2008-2010, they had three amazing shows that had great animation and great storytelling. I'm talking about The Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Wolverine & the X-Men.

The problem is they didn't last long because Marvel opted to cut those shows and start with new ones due to the success of The Avengers and then Guardians of the Galaxy. So they began new animated shows geared more for kids: Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Those shows have their moments. But they lack the depth and more mature themes that those previous shows had.

ITS was produced by Sony/Columbia in association with Marvel Studios, and that's Disney, so my point stands. The production was a who's who at Marvel.

I thought Spectacular SM was unspectacular. Foreshadowing the Fury/Parker relationship in the movies and the teen titanesque assemble was too much for me. I prefered the 90's version.

Anyway, nothing Marvel produced (in animations) before ITS and What if? could rival with what DC was dishing out. The list for DC was extensive, to say the least.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Is there something watchable coming up on " regular TV " this fall ?

I dunno about anything new. Nothing’s caught my eye personally. That said, I do normally watch The Blacklist, and there was a real game changer moment in last season’s finale.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I dunno about anything new. Nothing’s caught my eye personally. That said, I do normally watch The Blacklist, and there was a real game changer moment in last season’s finale.

I've been watching The Blacklist since the beginning , i still like that show a lot but i had time where i was a little bored with some epi over let say the last 2 seasons. The storie is still good but i had time with some epi where i was looking at the clock and i even had a moment whare i had to force myself to finish a season.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw Free Guy yesterday and it actually not bad. Decent mount of funny moments and it had some heart to it. The Disney property shout outs (Marvel and Star Wars) were great though I don't know if they were added after Disney got the rights to the movie with their purchase of FOX or is they were in the movie before.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I've been watching The Blacklist since the beginning , i still like that show a lot but i had time where i was a little bored with some epi over let say the last 2 seasons. The storie is still good but i had time with some epi where i was looking at the clock and i even had a moment whare i had to force myself to finish a season.

Yeah, some of the stories dragged on. Still, Spader is perfectly cast in this role and still commands a presence when he’s on the screen. Are you caught up? Do you know how last season ended? I’ll probably watch the premiere live which I haven’t done for this show in a few years, even though I follow it.

Another show on network TV I am looking forward to is The Goldbergs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Oh man....this is one I want to watch badly.....

Truth is, I hated the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movies. I didn't mind the first Amazing Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield, but the second one didn't do much for me. The MCU Tom Holland movies are great.

But in this multiverse concept, I like the fact we had those movies I hated. Because now the previous shit movies make this one that much better. Hearing the Goblin laugh when he threw the bomb made me pop.

I knew of Molina coming back as Doc Ock. I knew of Jamie Foxx coming back as Electro. But when I heard the Goblin laugh and now that Dafoe will return as Osborn/Goblin, I popped.

But another thing I'm actually looking forward to is finding out if the rumor that Charlie Cox from the Netflix Daredevil series will reprise his role in the film.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Truth is, I hated the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movies. I didn't mind the first Amazing Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield, but the second one didn't do much for me. The MCU Tom Holland movies are great.

But in this multiverse concept, I like the fact we had those movies I hated. Because now the previous shit movies make this one that much better. Hearing the Goblin laugh when he threw the bomb made me pop.

I knew of Molina coming back as Doc Ock. I knew of Jamie Foxx coming back as Electro. But when I heard the Goblin laugh and now that Dafoe will return as Osborn/Goblin, I popped.

Same here.

The best thing from the first batch were the vilains (except for sandman) but the 1st Goblin and Doc Ock were great vilains.....and something tells me Venom will be in too, at least there's one quick footage that seems to show Holland in a black suit, can't see if it's the one from Venom.

Either way, It's probably the one Spiderman movies I want to watch more than any other, including the first two from Holland.

And bringing back JK Simmons as Jameson is also great, cause he was one of the best thing in the first batch.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Same here.

The best thing from the first batch were the vilains (except for sandman) but the 1st Goblin and Doc Ock were great vilains.....and something tells me Venom will be in too, at least there's one quick footage that seems to show Holland in a black suit, can't see if it's the one from Venom.

Either way, It's probably the one Spiderman movies I want to watch more than any other, including the first two from Holland.

And bringing back JK Simmons as Jameson is also great, cause he was one of the best thing in the first batch.

Yes! When I saw him at the end of Far From Home, I was so happy. I'm sure someone else can pull off the character. But Simmons was so damn good at it, that I was hoping they'd bring back the actor for the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00