7. Scent of a Woman
8. Jean de Florette
9. Million Dollar Baby
10. Unforgiven

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Doctor Sleep is on tv right now. Awesome movie. Could be because I went in with zero expectations but this one turned out to be really good.

I love the way it pays tribute to the old film but doesn't try to clone it. Completely different film and a very personal one from Steven King.

King was never happy with the original Shining movie as it removed the personal story and made Jack into a creepy sociopath. The filmmakers took elements from that book, the film and mixed it together for this one and it works.

Definitely one to watch on your next Halloween night.

Agreed, Doctor Sleep was surprisingly great to me, Had low expectations since its pretty damn hard to live up the brilliance of The Shining, but its its own movie and holds up well, the call backs are done well imo, was cool to see the hotel again lol, Rebecca Furgeson was amazing

Also theres a scene in there early on thats just...disturbing to say the least, it really give you chills (in a bad way sadly) and dropped my jaw, the kid (Jacob Tremblay) did an unreal job really

Overall surprisingly good tho, Highly recommend, especially for those who have seen and like The Shining

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Agreed, Doctor Sleep was surprisingly great to me, Had low expectations since its pretty damn hard to live up the brilliance of The Shining, but its its own movie and holds up well, the call backs are done well imo, was cool to see the hotel again lol, Rebecca Furgeson was amazing

Also theres a scene in there early on thats just...disturbing to say the least, it really give you chills (in a bad way sadly) and dropped my jaw, the kid (Jacob Tremblay) did an unreal job really

Overall surprisingly good tho, Highly recommend, especially for those who have seen and like The Shining

When I think of Doctor Sleep, that's the scene I think of. f***ing chilling and I can't remember the last time a movie or show had that effect on me.

Well done film, thought the pacing and dialogue could have been better and the bad guys were a little dumb but I would watch it again. I'm kind of a sucker for Ed Norton, too, so that didn't hurt.

edit: it's not ed norton and I'm stupid

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

That scene bothered me more than any one I can remember seeing. It really upset me. I have a son around that age... I think to be honest, they could've edited some of it out. Anyways, I reminded myself that it was only a film and 100 percent fiction. That made me feel a little better.

It also really sets you up to have a true hate for the villains. You really want them to get their come uppance. You don't just want them to die, you want them to be smashed!

Reactions: overlords

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When I think of Doctor Sleep, that's the scene I think of. f***ing chilling and I can't remember the last time a movie or show had that effect on me.

Well done film, thought the pacing and dialogue could have been better and the bad guys were a little dumb but I would watch it again. I'm kind of a sucker for Ed Norton, too, so that didn't hurt.
You mean Ewan MacGregor?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
@overlords @Lafleurs Guy

Exactly... cant remember ever feeling that mortified in my life.. its the sort of thing/feeling you WANt when you watch a film, that feeling of something youve never felt before, that shock, that something that makes you think, unfortunately you dont want it to be something like THAT, but I totally get it making you want to fear and hate the villains that much (even if they seem dumb lol)

Everyone i talk to about doctor sleep 100% we always talk about THAT scene... it is truly a hair raiser..

One would think "why even do this" but, it makes you think like "my god, this really happens sometimes tho.. this can be real, its horrible..and it should show the world how terrible a thing it can be and hopefully make someone think twice about it"

I commend them for making it seem so raw and real as a fan of film, and at the same time i condemn them for it lol, a real mixed feeling moment for me that one..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
@overlords @Lafleurs Guy

Exactly... cant remember ever feeling that mortified in my life.. its the sort of thing/feeling you WANt when you watch a film, that feeling of something youve never felt before, that shock, that something that makes you think, unfortunately you dont want it to be something like THAT, but I totally get it making you want to fear and hate the villains that much (even if they seem dumb lol)

Everyone i talk to about doctor sleep 100% we always talk about THAT scene... it is truly a hair raiser..

One would think "why even do this" but, it makes you think like "my god, this really happens sometimes tho.. this can be real, its horrible..and it should show the world how terrible a thing it can be and hopefully make someone think twice about it"

I commend them for making it seem so raw and real as a fan of film, and at the same time i condemn them for it lol, a real mixed feeling moment for me that one..
It's a powerful scene. I wish it was a little bit shorter though. It genuinely upset me in a way that's rare when I watch a movie. My son being around the same age magnified it tenfold. That's the thing about becoming a parent, you become sensitive to things in a way you never were before. Things like that really hit home.

That final confrontation on the stairs though... excellent. Got the ending I wanted on that front. Suddenly I felt a whole lot better.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's a powerful scene. I wish it was a little bit shorter though. It genuinely upset me in a way that's rare when I watch a movie. My son being around the same age magnified it tenfold. That's the thing about becoming a parent, you become sensitive to things in a way you never were before. Things like that really hit home.

That final confrontation on the stairs though... excellent. Got the ending I wanted on that front. Suddenly I felt a whole lot better.

According to director Mike Flanagan, the performance of Jacob Tremblay during the first take of his death scene was so intense that it surprised and scared the other actors, including Rebecca Ferguson, who was so horrified she was stammering and "couldn't get her lines out". When the scene was over, a grinning Tremblay jumped up, covered in fake blood, high-fived his father and walked over to the craft service to get a snack, leaving Ferguson and the rest of the cast "shell-shocked and traumatized".
Man that's f***ed lol.. Tremblay did a number on em

Agreed on the Stairs scene, total highlight of the film for me, such satisfaction

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
According to director Mike Flanagan, the performance of Jacob Tremblay during the first take of his death scene was so intense that it surprised and scared the other actors, including Rebecca Ferguson, who was so horrified she was stammering and "couldn't get her lines out". When the scene was over, a grinning Tremblay jumped up, covered in fake blood, high-fived his father and walked over to the craft service to get a snack, leaving Ferguson and the rest of the cast "shell-shocked and traumatized".
Man that's f***ed lol.. Tremblay did a number on em

Agreed on the Stairs scene, total highlight of the film for me, such satisfaction
I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse. :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Best of small screen...
1. Seinfeld
2. Sopranos
3. Breaking Bad
4. Sons of Anarchy

Best of Big Screen...

1. Godfather 1+2
2. Gladiator
3. Schindler's List
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Green Mile
6. French Connection
7. Scent of a Woman
8. Jean de Florette
9. Million Dollar Baby
10. Unforgiven
Lots of diversity in this list

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Doctor Sleep was good but it's another one where I don't get the hype. It's one of those movies like Johnny Depp's Secret Window, that style of a mix of thriller with supernatural moments where it's fun but it could as well be a TV movie. And I forgot about it pretty quickly after watching it.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Watched the new Mortal Kobmt. As Chris Rocks Nat X said, I’ve seen better acting in a Cambodian whorehouse. Awful movie

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Watched the first 2 episodes of the HBO series Mare of Easttown last night. The first episode was a little slow but the 2nd episode was better and kept me interested enough to keep watching. It as a bit of The Killing feel to it at times for me.

Also finished season 4 of Snowfall recently and quite enjoyed this recent season.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Watched the first 2 episodes of the HBO series Mare of Easttown last night. The first episode was a little slow but the 2nd episode was better and kept me interested enough to keep watching. It as a bit of The Killing feel to it at times for me.

Also finished season 4 of Snowfall recently and quite enjoyed this recent season.

Sounds good, better than the last season of Fargo? Enjoyed Snowfall a lot.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I
I'm confuzzled as f***. You're right. It's been so long since I watched it, I'm not sure why I thought it was Ed Norton :laugh:

I love that movie with De Niro and Norton about a heist in Montreal. I had to look it up, it's called the Score. Last time Brando was in a movie I believe.

Norton is also handsome! ;)

Reactions: angusyoung

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Shadow and Bones on Netflix:

The production is really great for a series. From special effects, costumes to the whole world they've built actually....pretty well done. You have to like fantaisies series where there's magic, dark world and impossible things. The acting is good but not great, it's a little bit Teenish as a whole but it was still entertaining. Took me 2-3 episodes to get into it but it was entertaining.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I

I love that movie with De Niro and Norton about a heist in Montreal. I had to look it up, it's called the Score. Last time Brando was in a movie I believe.

Norton is also handsome! ;)

It was pretty good, used old Montreal for the most part. Fun fact or sad fact :dunno:, got an invite to a gathering being held for the actors but couldn't make it:mad:

Norton handsome eh? we'll give you a moment:naughty:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watched the new Mortal Kobmt. As Chris Rocks Nat X said, I’ve seen better acting in a Cambodian whorehouse. Awful movie

Yeah, wasn’t very good at all. Best part was the first 10 minutes, though I did enjoy the fatality with the hat.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yeah, wasn’t very good at all. Best part was the first 10 minutes, though I did enjoy the fatality with the hat.
It feels like it needs an extended cut to make more sense like Justice league. When you try throwing in so many characters in less than 2 hours it all looked jumbled. The first 10 were by far the best part. I don’t wanna talk bout the razor hat. Had to turn away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad