OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Michael Clayton. I know it's an older film but I watched it for the 4th time last night. It still had me going. A very subtle film. Extremely well written and directed by Tony Gilroy.

And if any of you don't mind subtitles here are some great South Korean films:

Memoir of A Murder
The Wailing
The Chaser
I Saw The Devil
Memories of Murderer
Confession of Murder
The Train to Busan
The Man From Nowhere
Masquerade
Forgotten

Of course there are the popular ones:
Parasite
Old Boy (not the shit American one).

There are other Korean films but I have to dredge them out of my swampy memory. The Koreans are really kicking ass in film.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Ted Lasso (Apple) - A "feel good" sitcom full of hearts. Was expecting something about sports but it was more about life and everything else. Still very well done, funny, light and easy watching.

The servant season 2 (Apple) - If you saw the 1st season, it's mostly the same.....the neverending "what the f*** is going on" is still alive in the 2nd season. More dark humor, great acting, Ron from Harry Potter is playing his role perfectly but still can't forget he's Ron in Harry potter.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Swedish Dicks
2 Swedish PI's working in L.A.
Keanu Reeves has a recurring role.
Comedy with 30 minute episodes with Brooklyn 99 style plots.

It stars the blonde dude from Fargo ... think wood chipper. Apparently, he's good friends with Stellan Skarsgard.

My only issue is that when someone walks in the room while you're watching the show, and the title appears after you hit pause, they might get the impression you're watching a whole different genre!!

2 thumbs up, but not to be taken too seriously.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just finished The Serpent. Great little serie. Can't belive this dude got to walk free for a while. He had some sort of celebrity status in France it seems. Just show how totally insane people can be. I was pissed watching the last episode.

Portrayed by a great actor. I bet he wins an Oscar in the next few years

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Portrayed by a great actor. I bet he wins an Oscar in the next few years

Yeah he was very good. Chilling portrayal. The whole cast was great, except for Jenna Coleman's accent ahah! You could see she worked hard on it though, she had a few words that were totally quebecer. But you just can't learn that in such a short amount of time. Otherwise, she was also very good in her acting.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah he was very good. Chilling portrayal. The whole cast was great, except for Jenna Coleman's accent ahah! You could see she worked hard on it though, she had a few words that were totally quebecer. But you just can't learn that in such a short amount of time. Otherwise, she was also very good in her acting.

They could've made the effort of simply getting a French-Canadian

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
They could've made the effort of simply getting a French-Canadian

For sure. But I got to reiterate that she was very good in her acting. Maybe they could have gotten someone with the right accent, but who wouldn't have nailed the acting part as much. I don't take much offense in this even though I'm myself a francophone Quebecer. Especially since she tried hard and really did get some of it quite right.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Jupiter's Legacy (Netflix)
Started great but the story kind of fell apart along the way. Still very watchable if you're into superheroes series even if it doesn't bring anything new to the mix. I give this one 6/10

The Morning Show (Apple TV)
I thought I would hate that one.....but the story was not what I expected at all. Deep storylines and fantastic acting. Apple TV doesn't have a whole lot of stuff but they have some gems for sure. That one is a 9.5/10

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Can one person hang a 55 inch TV on the wall? I need to get more space and I have bought a desk, office chairs and a wall mount and my plan is to put the TV on the wall and where it used to be I will put the desk.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Ted Lasso (Apple) - A "feel good" sitcom full of hearts. Was expecting something about sports but it was more about life and everything else. Still very well done, funny, light and easy watching.

The servant season 2 (Apple) - If you saw the 1st season, it's mostly the same.....the neverending "what the f*** is going on" is still alive in the 2nd season. More dark humor, great acting, Ron from Harry Potter is playing his role perfectly but still can't forget he's Ron in Harry potter.

I watched Ted Lasso when I had Apple TV free for a short while. The owner of the team, she is a one real amazon looking woman!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can one person hang a 55 inch TV on the wall? I need to get more space and I have bought a desk, office chairs and a wall mount and my plan is to put the TV on the wall and where it used to be I will put the desk.

I've had one on the wall, that size. More recent models weigh even less. There are some good anchoring systems out there.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I watched Ted Lasso when I had Apple TV free for a short while. The owner of the team, she is a one real amazon looking woman!

I've had Apple TV since October and have yet to use it. I've had it free for one year on a promo. I don't know if I'll ever get around to watching anything from it.

Do you recommend Ted Lasso?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Did anyone watch Mare of Eastown? Similar pace with The Night Of, I like it so far.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I've had Apple TV since October and have yet to use it. I've had it free for one year on a promo. I don't know if I'll ever get around to watching anything from it.

I personally do....but it's cheesy, really the feel good, positivity type of series, it's funny even if it's not laugh out loud funny... but I like it a lot cause it's not all made just to put jokes in there like most of those type of shows.

Like I've said in one of my post, they have very strong series on Apple TV.
Some of the best out there in my book depending on what you like.

So far I've watched Defending Jacob and The Morning Show and they both are some of the best series I've seen lately.
Ted Lasso and The Servant might not be everyone's cup of tea, but liked both of them.

Just started For All Mankind and I'm just at episode 4 of 1st season and so far, seems like I won't be able to stop watching it either.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I only watched 2 or 3 episodes before my free period was over and I would give it 3 1/2. Somewhat amusing.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I personally do....but it's cheesy, really the feel good, positivity type of series, it's funny even if it's not laugh out loud funny... but I like it a lot cause it's not all made just to put jokes in there like most of those type of shows.

Like I've said in one of my post, they have very strong series on Apple TV.
Some of the best out there in my book depending on what you like.

So far I've watched Defending Jacob and The Morning Show and they both are some of the best series I've seen lately.
Ted Lasso and The Servant might not be everyone's cup of tea, but liked both of them.

Just started For All Mankind and I'm just at episode 4 of 1st season and so far, seems like I won't be able to stop watching it either.

Thanks so much for bringing all these Apple shows to our attention. Now I may just have to look into them.

Reactions: Milhouse40

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

If you got access to chairs, boxes and a bunch of pillows, sure, one person can hang a 55” TV. You’re gonna have to jig it around and support it with all those objects but to be frank, I would say it’s a two person job. I have an older 55” LCD and no way I could had hung it myself. Newer TVs are lighter but a 55” is a decent size so it’s going to be awkward hanging it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If you got access to chairs, boxes and a bunch of pillows, sure, one person can hang a 55” TV. You’re gonna have to jig it around and support it with all those objects but to be frank, I would say it’s a two person job. I have an older 55” LCD and no way I could had hung it myself. Newer TVs are lighter but a 55” is a decent size so it’s going to be awkward hanging it.
You understood the question. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Reactions: sandviper

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Anyone seen the hockey movie Odd Man Rush ?

Watched it last night it was something we've rarely seen in a hockey movie a guy who after playing for Harvard goes to play in Europeans minor league( belgium ,german league, then to Sweden.)
¸

Mario Lemieux daughter and Wayne Gretzky son were in it as well

Bonus the lead chick was pretty hot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad