OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yup, Im up to a point where Id much rather see tv shows instead of movies.

1 to 2 hour really isn't enough to develop a story well enough.

That, or many parts epics like Marvel has done with the infinity saga (Don't forget we got the ground work of this story in 2008 with Iron Man)

There is some very good movies, that I really love that I just can't believe how much better they would be if they would just be split in 3, 4 or 5 episodes.

American psycho is my favorite movie ever, but can you imagine if they had developped that over say, 240 minutes instead of 104?

Sequels can work, exist as an extension and serve the same purpose as a tv show, but they just bring a lot less.

The productions of TV shows are so much better too now. When I was growing up, there was a clear difference between shows and movies. These days though, it's pretty much the same.
I think a big appeal is also the length of episodes. It's just 45min..you watch one, then go do a few things, put the next one on..etc.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Fandor (when it relaunches), Mubi and the Sundance submissions are worth it if you want non-super hero, heavy CGI movies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yup, Im up to a point where Id much rather see tv shows instead of movies.

1 to 2 hour really isn't enough to develop a story well enough.

That, or many parts epics like Marvel has done with the infinity saga (Don't forget we got the ground work of this story in 2008 with Iron Man)

There is some very good movies, that I really love that I just can't believe how much better they would be if they would just be split in 3, 4 or 5 episodes.

American psycho is my favorite movie ever, but can you imagine if they had developped that over say, 240 minutes instead of 104?

Sequels can work, exist as an extension and serve the same purpose as a tv show, but they just bring a lot less.

Peter Jackson to a little novella about Bilbo Baggins and turned it into 3, 3 hour long movies. That must be the record. :)

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched Mortal Kombat. The first half of the movie was stronger than the second half, and at the end of it I'm not sure if it's even better than the 1995 film.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think it's terrible overrated crap. lol

That’s ok. I have a lot of friends who absolutely hated it. I like those quirky type of dramadies.

I watched Mortal Kombat. The first half of the movie was stronger than the second half, and at the end of it I'm not sure if it's even better than the 1995 film.

Haven’t caught it yet. I actually didn’t mind the first film, though the second one was terrible.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I don't know anything at all about mortal kombat before I watched it last night.

First hour was great, I was in the story and following but after that it really felt rushed, I felt like that power rangers movie, great setup but ...

Reactions: Runner77

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Peter Jackson to a little novella about Bilbo Baggins and turned it into 3, 3 hour long movies. That must be the record. :)

Technically, it's not true. He added stuff from the other books.. but he added so much nonsense too.

Also they released longer versions of those movies :laugh:

I bought them but I only watched the first one. The others are still sealed in their packaging ._.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Mike Judge is a prophet

Are you saying that this is an Idiocracy prelude? To some extent, I don't think so. While it is a mindless movie, the box office has terrible options to watch. Some internet critics were also saying that this movie having some success was a big FU to the movie industry who is always trying to include everyone or bring some SJW in.

Like I was watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix last weekend. You have all the ethnicities and even a gay main character. Batwoman was pushing the LGBT theme too. And so on. While Shadow was kinda well done, I believe some people are getting fed up by that BS. (And also cancel culture)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Are you saying that this is an Idiocracy prelude? To some extent, I don't think so. While it is a mindless movie, the box office has terrible options to watch. Some internet critics were also saying that this movie having some success was a big FU to the movie industry who is always trying to include everyone or bring some SJW in.

Like I was watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix last weekend. You have all the ethnicities and even a gay main character. Batwoman was pushing the LGBT theme too. And so on. While Shadow was kinda well done, I believe some people are getting fed up by that BS. (And also cancel culture)

Yeah, sorry you're right. I just found it a sign of the times to see a monster smash movie at #1 at the BO

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Just watched it myself and pretty much have the same opinion; first half was entertaining but the second half was all about setting things up for a sequel, imo...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Mike Judge is a prophet

I was lucky enough to catch him at The Big Lebowski live reading at Just For Laughs like 6 years ago. Fassbender, TJ Miller and a bunch of other people were there reading different parts, one of the best live show experiences of my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad