OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Golden age has passed.

I envision a future where people will experiment the adventures of new movies in POV tailored to VR sets.

It's the single biggest tech to create new media experiences.
It's transitioned.

The golden age of movies has moved over to the golden age of television. Before you had two hours to tell a story. Now you can spend five or six seasons telling it. Game of Thrones is a good example.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It's transitioned.

The golden age of movies has moved over to the golden age of television. Before you had two hours to tell a story. Now you can spend five or six seasons telling it. Game of Thrones is a good example.

I agree. I find myself watching a lot more tv shows than movies. There is a lot of good ones out there.

The one problem with tv series though is you can get really invested in a show, spend a lot of time watching it and get let down later in the series or by the finale. Game of Thrones is a good example.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I agree. I find myself watching a lot more tv shows than movies. There is a lot of good ones out there.

The one problem with tv series though is you can get really invested in a show, spend a lot of time watching it and get let down later in the series or by the finale. Game of Thrones is a good example.

GOT, Lost, Dexter (though that is coming back for one more season).

Reactions: ArsHabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yup, Im up to a point where Id much rather see tv shows instead of movies.

1 to 2 hour really isn't enough to develop a story well enough.

That, or many parts epics like Marvel has done with the infinity saga (Don't forget we got the ground work of this story in 2008 with Iron Man)

There is some very good movies, that I really love that I just can't believe how much better they would be if they would just be split in 3, 4 or 5 episodes.

American psycho is my favorite movie ever, but can you imagine if they had developped that over say, 240 minutes instead of 104?

Sequels can work, exist as an extension and serve the same purpose as a tv show, but they just bring a lot less.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I never watched Lost but Dexter had the worst ending of all time. It was good for 4 seasons or so then went downhill.
Then don’t start watching Lost. The final season and the final episode will just make you feel like you wasted your time on the previous seasons
Worst ending ever

Reactions: Riggins

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yup, Im up to a point where Id much rather see tv shows instead of movies.

1 to 2 hour really isn't enough to develop a story well enough.

That, or many parts epics like Marvel has done with the infinity saga (Don't forget we got the ground work of this story in 2008 with Iron Man)

There is some very good movies, that I really love that I just can't believe how much better they would be if they would just be split in 3, 4 or 5 episodes.

American psycho is my favorite movie ever, but can you imagine if they had developped that over say, 240 minutes instead of 104?

Sequels can work, exist as an extension and serve the same purpose as a tv show, but they just bring a lot less.

I am pretty sure I read it somewhere but American Psycho is going to be made into a TV show.

And I agree, a great movie and somewhat underrated IMO.

I never watched Lost but Dexter had the worst ending of all time. It was good for 4 seasons or so then went downhill.

Dexter peaked at season 4. The final season I thought started well but trended downhill the rest of the way along with such a horrible closing scene.

Lost season one and first half of season 2 were amazing. It was very uneven rest of season 2 and had its up and downs next couple seasons. At this point I was invested in it knowing it was going to end soon as they announced the final season during its fourth I think. That final season I also felt started strong for the first 6 episodes or so but then plummeted and had a terrible ending.

On the topic of shows that eventually sucked... Prison Break to me was one of the BEST opening seasons ever. I guess I should had known better as the premise couldn’t last long, but that first season was epic. I dunno WTF happened after, including that unnecessary and stupid revival season.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Then don’t start watching Lost. The final season and the final episode will just make you feel like you wasted your time on the previous seasons
Worst ending ever

Yeah I won’t watch Lost at all because of that. I won’t recommend GOT either because of the final season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am pretty sure I read it somewhere but American Psycho is going to be made into a TV show.

And I agree, a great movie and somewhat underrated IMO.

Dexter peaked at season 4. The final season I thought started well but trended downhill the rest of the way along with such a horrible closing scene.

Lost season one and first half of season 2 were amazing. It was very uneven rest of season 2 and had its up and downs next couple seasons. At this point I was invested in it knowing it was going to end soon as they announced the final season during its fourth I think. That final season I also felt started strong for the first 6 episodes or so but then plummeted and had a terrible ending.

On the topic of shows that eventually sucked... Prison Break to me was one of the BEST opening seasons ever. I guess I should had known better as the premise couldn’t last long, but that first season was epic. I dunno WTF happened after, including that unnecessary and stupid revival season.
That would be insane! Part of the appeal of the movie is Bale though, so I don't know if they can replicate it.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Agreed on Dexter season 4 with the The Trinity Killer.

A show for me that started strong was Heroes. Had a great first season and so much promise but then went downhill fast.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Yeah, running too long can kill a show so easy. 6 Episodes, 2-3 seasons is perfect.
Depends on how strong the cast is and if it can survive changes. MASH went for 11 seasons with many character changes, same with Cheers. ER, 17 seasons. Gunsmoke, 20 years of Matt and Kitty. :laugh:

Reactions: angusyoung

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Agreed on Dexter season 4 with the The Trinity Killer.

A show for me that started strong was Heroes. Had a great first season and so much promise but then went downhill fast.

Heroes was great until the mid-season finale when they stopped Sylar (the first time). Once they humanize him, a lot of the mystery and aura was lost.

The revival was also quite bad if I remember, or I guess in this case, forget.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh good, another series I can completely ignore.

Also, I'm watching Sons of Anarchy now. Good times.

I remember some talk about this in prior versions of this thread. I seem to remember that some posters didn't enjoy the last season but am not sure.

How do you find it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had to think about it... I went further back than 2 years because the pandemic impacted movies a lot. That said, top-5 for me, in no particular order:

The Martian
Knives Out
Inception
Infinity War (LOL, I know, but this was a great movie)
The Greatest Showman

I know, not particularly high brow, but these were 5 movies that I absolutely loved. I also liked others like John Wick, Hacksaw Ridge, 1917, Shape of Water and so on. I enjoy many genres, for different reasons.

However, I agree, most movies are not good and most of those are pure popcorn flicks. I don’t mind that, but there hasn’t been that many movies I’ve seen where I’d watch it multiple times if given the opportunity.

I enjoy movies where the action takes place before the advent of cell phones. There's a lot more mystery to be had when characters are not too available or so easily reachable. Of course, that type of thing can also be manufactured in the modern communications era, but it's harder to pull off.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember some talk about this in prior versions of this thread. I seem to remember that some posters didn't enjoy the last season but am not sure.

How do you find it?
First two seasons were great, I'm onto the third and it's not quite as good. Cool show though.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The Oscars are sooo bad tonight. It looks like a Volunteer Award Nightby the Lions Club. Soooo boring.

I miss the years of Chris Rock and Billy Crystal.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yes, clearly, I think they stretched the elastic to the very breaking point though, it got somewhat boring.

Yes, they would have made a mistake making it any longer. In saying that some of my favourite shows were only one season. The Queen’s Gambit was amazing and my favourite tv show/movie of all time Band of Brothers was only one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->