OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The premise sounds boring AF

Not going to lie... I was half paying attention first 10-15 minutes as it was hard to get into, but it gets good as the story moves along.

As the title of the movie, this movie had soul literally. It didn’t exactly bring anything new or groundbreaking in existential discussions, but it was a very human story.

I mean, it’s not like 2020 had a bunch of great films, but this is easily the best of those I watched.

Oh, I forgot to mention I watched Tenet. It was ok... not as bad as I think some people bashed the film for, but it certainly wasn’t as good as I thought it would be when I first saw the prologue in 2019.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
WW84... whoever greenlit that story needs a kick in the ass.

I'm currently watching it because I have time to waste before I start getting shitfaced hoping 2020 will just be a big drunken blur by morning where I'll happily leave WW84.

Holy hell it's bad. I'm not one to like the plot of superhero movies, most suck, always about saving the world, blablabla.
I can live with the unwitty overly predictable jokes because you still get some nice visuals and action scenes but we don't even have that in there.

It's so bad. Oh so bad. And God is she ever a bad actress. I find it so weird they chose an actress who looks like a supermodel for this role. She's lanky...shouldn't WW look strong AF?...Not beef up but jesus...Gadot looks like a runway model not a superhero.
The only worse casting I could imagine is Kristen Wiig as a villain...I mean...W-T-F.

Shit all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I admit I'm a hater of Nolan, but Tenet has something to it that makes me re-watching 5-6 times so far. No, it's not a great movie, but it has something to it I can't quite yet place.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm currently watching it because I have time to waste before I start getting shitfaced hoping 2020 will just be a big drunken blur by morning where I'll happily leave WW84.

Holy hell it's bad. I'm not one to like the plot of superhero movies, most suck, always about saving the world, blablabla.
I can live with the unwitty overly predictable jokes because you still get some nice visuals and action scenes but we don't even have that in there.

It's so bad. Oh so bad. And God is she ever a bad actress. I find it so weird they chose an actress who looks like a supermodel for this role. She's lanky...shouldn't WW look strong AF?...Not beef up but jesus...Gadot looks like a runway model not a superhero.
The only worse casting I could imagine is Kristen Wiig as a villain...I mean...W-T-F.

Shit all around.

Pedro Pascal’s character was also ludicrous, though he himself did fine with what he was given.

I admit I'm a hater of Nolan, but Tenet has something to it that makes me re-watching 5-6 times so far. No, it's not a great movie, but it has something to it I can't quite yet place.

Honestly, I was more or less following the whole time pincher concept
but ending (beginning) and the whole locked/unlocked gate sequence was confusing AF.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
So, Cobra Kai comes out at 3AM. Midnight on the west coast. Well, hour and a half to go.

I'm on vacation and on lock down, nobody expects me to get up early tomorrow. Shit is probably not opening back up on the 11th. I'm pulling an all-nighter watching Cobra Kai IDGAF.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I'm happy to hear this from a "Nolan Hater" lol, it's a hell of a ride honestly, and the subtitles helped tremendously

Reactions: GoodKiwi

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Can't believe I've never seen this movie,very enjoyable! Some good laughs along the way,but not a very happy ending to say the least,a bit of a messy ending in fact.:nod:A fine film and a lovely city to visit if you get the chance.

upload_2021-1-1_7-57-51.jpeg

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Watched all of Collateral and so glad I did. Thanks for that kiwi. This was a hidden gem for sure. I was so tired, but at the same time I couldn’t stop, really loved it and recommend it to anyone who has 3-4 hours to kill during a lockdown.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My top 5 series of this year:

1- The Queen's Gambit
2- Mandalorian season 2
3- Defending Jacob
4- Narcos Mexicos season 2
5- Ozark season 3

Honorable mentions to :
- Umbrella Academy S2
- Upload
- The Boys S2

My top 5 movies of 2020 (not much movies came out this year)
1- Bad Boys for Life
2- The invisible man
3- Enola Holmes
4- Tenet
5- Greyhound

Honorable mention
- The old guard

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Maybe I don't get it. I liked Nolan's other films, but Tenet, I couldn't even finish.

Can't believe I've never seen this movie,very enjoyable! Some good laughs along the way,but not a very happy ending to say the least,a bit of a messy ending in fact.:nod:A fine film and a lovely city to visit if you get the chance.

View attachment 381377

In Bruges is possibly my favorite movie ever. Love Martin McDonagh's movies in general, Three Billboards is amazing as well.

Check out The Guard, directed by his brother. Another good one.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe I don't get it. I liked Nolan's other films, but Tenet, I couldn't even finish.
Having seen it multiple times I'm still not sure what draws me into it.

The script is very bad as is the acting.

The production budget is obviously huge. I guess that adds to my enjoyment (not even sure honestly).

You never feel "intimate" with any of the actors in any of Nolan's films (save for one), and it is unquestionably why I dislike him so much.

But Tenet kinda works well at the "macro" level.

Reactions: sandviper

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Having seen it multiple times I'm still not sure what draws me into it.

The script is very bad as is the acting.

The production budget is obviously huge. I guess that adds to my enjoyment (not even sure honestly).

You never feel "intimate" with any of the actors in any of Nolan's films (save for one), and it is unquestionably why I dislike him so much.

But Tenet kinda works well at the "macro" level.

Might give it another shot eventually with subtitles... Dialogues are kind of hard to hear/understand, and for the sort of complexity this movie is aiming for, I suppose it doesn't help when you miss one out of two lines.

I personally found no redeeming qualities to the movie up until the point I gave up on it, minus its budget-related technicalities, I guess. There was a certain coherence and story-telling element in previous Nolan projects that dabbled into the concept of time and whatnot, such as Interstellar and Inception, that made them compelling. Tenet, not so much.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Might give it another shot eventually with subtitles... Dialogues are kind of hard to hear/understand, and for the sort of complexity this movie is aiming for, I suppose it doesn't help when you miss one out of two lines.

I personally found no redeeming qualities to the movie up until the point I gave up on it, minus its budget-related technicalities, I guess. There was a certain coherence and story-telling element in previous Nolan projects that dabbled into the concept of time and whatnot, such as Interstellar and Inception, that made them compelling. Tenet, not so much.
I keep reading that, but I've never experienced anything alike. The 4K version with your run-of-the-mill earbuds is sounding great to me.

The soundtrack is obviously very loud (and very good IMO), but you can easily make out all the dialogue as well.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
So... new season is good?

I've been a diehard fan of the franchise since I've been a kid, so there's a lot to like for me. Final scene of the final episode of the season is a situation everybody sees coming a mile away, but because of the musical treatment and how meaningful it is to the story, it is extremely strong.

Some characters walk into the dark side, some walk into the light. Loose ends gets tied. Humorously, puberty came and hit some of the younger actors like a truck, while some of the oldest ones we haven't seen in a long time have aged like fine wine.

To anybody that liked the movies, I recommend the series, and to anybody that liked Seasons 1-2, I definitively recommend Season 3.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I got spoiled something from Vikings and I'm so damn pissed. Why do people do that. That guy literally started a video on his channel on You Tube with the title of the event that occured. Wow. Why are people even allowed to do that.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just noticed a new BBC ONE mini series now airing that looks like something I'd be interested in watching called The Serpent. Might have to take a look at that later.

From IMDB:
The twisting, real-life story of Charles Sobhraj, a murderer, thief and seductive master of disguise, who was a hidden darkness in the mid-70's on Asia's hippie trail.

The Serpent (TV Mini-Series 2021– ) - IMDb

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched all of Collateral and so glad I did. Thanks for that kiwi. This was a hidden gem for sure. I was so tired, but at the same time I couldn’t stop, really loved it and recommend it to anyone who has 3-4 hours to kill during a lockdown.

I too will once again, add my thanks to @GoodKiwi . I just finished watching all the Cormoran Strike mini series. I particularly enjoyed the last one (4 episodes) as there were several moments of great suspense and tension -- this is what happens when a story is so well spun and performed -- you get emotionally invested in the characters. I forgot I was watching a crime series.

These Lethal White episodes are very particular. It's not full-out suspense and action all the time -- there are several quiet, slow-paced moments. Those are not boring, in fact they set a pleasant atmosphere. They allow you to take stock of the characters and enjoy the many beautiful locations, as you formulate theories of who did what. I can't say more without giving up too much but let's just say, it reminded me a lot of how older crime series were done. There was a certain charm to every episode and the two main characters are so likeable that you just want to see more of them.

Will there be a 5th series? I certainly hope so.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

View attachment 381377

In Bruges is possibly my favorite movie ever. Love Martin McDonagh's movies in general, Three Billboards is amazing as well.

Check out The Guard, directed by his brother. Another good one.
In Bruges was fantastic, even more so because nobody knows it exists. It has one of those stories that sneaks up on you with unexpected depth. And the cast... Brendan Gleeson raises the value of every film he's in and Colin Farrell is vastly underrated as a leading man. Plus it has Ralph Fiennes, who is maybe the best supporting actor on the planet outside of Christoph Waltz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad