Nice! I see them introducing this guy in the Thor movie:

OIP.xK1TcgZo_u_udeW7Ej_owgHaLO

That would be very cool

Reactions: Adam Michaels

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
MK was mmmmk at best. Bad acting /writing/casting for a majority of the runtime. Main guy has less charisma than a rock. The 'powers' are explained worse than animalities were in Annihilation.

Worth checking out if you're an old school gamer but I doubt this movie overtakes the original, as low a standard that was to beat.

Reactions: Edgy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doctor Sleep is on tv right now. Awesome movie. Could be because I went in with zero expectations but this one turned out to be really good.

I love the way it pays tribute to the old film but doesn't try to clone it. Completely different film and a very personal one from Steven King.

King was never happy with the original Shining movie as it removed the personal story and made Jack into a creepy sociopath. The filmmakers took elements from that book, the film and mixed it together for this one and it works.

Definitely one to watch on your next Halloween night.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
That would be very cool

Fluff... he's doing it for the money.
Young generation of moviegoers like computer generated movies... explosions, comic book characters...only three or four movies are worth seeing in a theatre per year.
A tragedy!!!

Reactions: Kimota

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’m so tired of comic book, super hero shit. They never really interested me in the first place, but after years of non stop bullshit, I can’t even watch them at all anymore.

All genres kinda go through this. What I would like to see are old school adventure movies, like Indiana Jones. I know Indy 5 is in development, but movies like Tomb Raider didn’t really do it for me. I did enjoy the first two Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser (minus the CGI Rock).

I also miss the buddy cop movies. I mean, I know they want to another Lethal Weapon, another Beverly Hills Cop... they did Bad Boys, but I’d like some new characters.

Really though, super heroes have been with us forever when you think of it. Unstoppable freaks of nature (Stallone, Arnold in the 80s), sci-fi and so on. It’s just now, they are tied into franchises.

Who is that?

And do you think they introduce Beta Ray Bill in the new Thor?

Hercules. As for BR, I thought Bale was playing him when he was cast (but he’s playing Gorr). It would be pretty cool if he makes an appearance but I don’t think he will.

Reactions: CHfan1

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
I loved 'em. But I'm done.

I'm in the same boat. They were enjoyable, and I did love some of those Nolan Batman movies, but the genre has become way too saturated, stale, formulaic, and just not entertaining anymore. Disney doing what Disney does best, just milking as much money as they can re-using the same formula ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who is that?

And do you think they introduce Beta Ray Bill in the new Thor?

That's Hercules. With Zeus being introduced in this one, it would make sense that they bring in the Greek gods into the MCU

And it would be fun to see them bring in Beta Ray Bill. They had a statue of him in Thor: Ragnarok, so it looks like an easter egg that shows he already exists. Note also a statue of Ares next to it, another of the Greek gods in the comics.

media.jpg

Reactions: CHfan1

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
MK was mmmmk at best. Bad acting /writing/casting for a majority of the runtime. Main guy has less charisma than a rock. The 'powers' are explained worse than animalities were in Annihilation.

Worth checking out if you're an old school gamer but I doubt this movie overtakes the original, as low a standard that was to beat.
You're too generous. It was bad acting galore. Some half decent action sequences between Sub Zero and Scorpion but the "champions" training in Raiden's temple with Liu Kang and Kung Lao looked so scripted and slow. I've seen harder sparring in demonstrations.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I’m so tired of comic book, super hero shit. They never really interested me in the first place, but after years of non stop bullshit, I can’t even watch them at all anymore.

I don't mind them. But that's like the only thing on TV these days. I've not watched one in like 5 years can't stand them anymore specially Avengers. The last one i watched was GOTG(was a great movie) if i remember correctly. I think there have not been one great big budget drama in like over a year ... every month i'm watching the last releases on blu ray and i'm like nah, nah, nah, nah, :banghead:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
All genres kinda go through this. What I would like to see are old school adventure movies, like Indiana Jones. I know Indy 5 is in development, but movies like Tomb Raider didn’t really do it for me. I did enjoy the first two Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser (minus the CGI Rock).

I also miss the buddy cop movies. I mean, I know they want to another Lethal Weapon, another Beverly Hills Cop... they did Bad Boys, but I’d like some new characters.

Really though, super heroes have been with us forever when you think of it. Unstoppable freaks of nature (Stallone, Arnold in the 80s), sci-fi and so on. It’s just now, they are tied into franchises.

Hercules. As for BR, I thought Bale was playing him when he was cast (but he’s playing Gorr). It would be pretty cool if he makes an appearance but I don’t think he will.
The entire industry is failing IMO. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched a really good movie. It seems like all the good stories have already been told or there’s a lack of creativity or something nowadays.

What are the best movies you have seen in the last year or two? Top 5, I’m curious, maybe they exist I just don’t know about them. I can’t remember a single movie I would have been excited to see in theatre. Actually it’s been that way for years. The Mrs and I, every year get cinemaplex gift cards for Christmas and it’s dear near impossible to use them because there hadn’t been anything good playing.

Reactions: angusyoung

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The entire industry is failing IMO. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and watched a really good movie. It seems like all the good stories have already been told or there’s a lack of creativity or something nowadays.

What are the best movies you have seen in the last year or two? Top 5, I’m curious, maybe they exist I just don’t know about them. I can’t remember a single movie I would have been excited to see in theatre. Actually it’s been that way for years. The Mrs and I, every year get cinemaplex gift cards for Christmas and it’s dear near impossible to use them because there hadn’t been anything good playing.

In the last year or two i can't remember a single one. Uncle Frank was okay. We are really far from the beginning of the 90ies with Forest Gump, Schindler List, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, ... 1994 was dope.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Had to think about it... I went further back than 2 years because the pandemic impacted movies a lot. That said, top-5 for me, in no particular order:

The Martian
Knives Out
Inception
Infinity War (LOL, I know, but this was a great movie)
The Greatest Showman

I know, not particularly high brow, but these were 5 movies that I absolutely loved. I also liked others like John Wick, Hacksaw Ridge, 1917, Shape of Water and so on. I enjoy many genres, for different reasons.

However, I agree, most movies are not good and most of those are pure popcorn flicks. I don’t mind that, but there hasn’t been that many movies I’ve seen where I’d watch it multiple times if given the opportunity.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

When everything has already been said and done, added to an ever growing population to say and do things, to create art, it becomes increasingly harder to be original.

IMO, there's a wealth of original stories that could be told in movies, but are just too dangerous for the establishment's taste, coupled with an obsession with profit and pooping out products for the lowest common denominator and we get the present trends.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
When everything has already been said and done, added to an ever growing population to say and do things, to create art, it becomes increasingly harder to be original.

IMO, there's a wealth of original stories that could be told in movies, but are just too dangerous for the establishment's taste, coupled with an obsession with profit and pooping out products for the lowest common denominator and we get the present trends.
Yeah it’s terrible, any recommendations from last couple of years?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Had to think about it... I went further back than 2 years because the pandemic impacted movies a lot. That said, top-5 for me, in no particular order:

The Martian
Knives Out
Inception
Infinity War (LOL, I know, but this was a great movie)
The Greatest Showman

I know, not particularly high brow, but these were 5 movies that I absolutely loved. I also liked others like John Wick, Hacksaw Ridge, 1917, Shape of Water and so on. I enjoy many genres, for different reasons.

However, I agree, most movies are not good and most of those are pure popcorn flicks. I don’t mind that, but there hasn’t been that many movies I’ve seen where I’d watch it multiple times if given the opportunity.

The Golden age has passed.

I envision a future where people will experiment the adventures of new movies in POV tailored to VR sets.

It's the single biggest tech to create new media experiences.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The Golden age has passed.

I envision a future where people will experiment the adventures of new movies in POV tailored to VR sets.

It's the single biggest tech to create new media experiences.

I agree with you in terms of the experience, but we can also get a rash of horrible movies like when 3D first became a thing.

Fresh ideas are hard though, like you said earlier, so much has already been done. I remember when I first saw the Matrix... I was so blown away.

I said Knives Out because there really hasn’t been a whodunnit in awhile. The Martian is the only science fiction movie I can think of where nobody dies. Spider-verse was also quite unique. In fact, a VR Spider-Man would be something else.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah it’s terrible, any recommendations from last couple of years?

Green Book
Ready Player One
Into the Spiderverse (you won't like)
Alita Battle Angel (ditto)
Menteur
Greed
Joy
It (both chapters)
Tesla
Ford vs Ferrari
The Martian
Alpha
The Good Liar
Knives Out
Joker
Avengers Endgame

I really liked Coming to America sequel!:laugh:

Admittedly, I've been watching more tv shows than movies in the last few years, with those damn stream services.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad