OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I enjoyed season 4 of Fargo. Not as compelling as season 1 and 2, but the story is good and there are many great characters. Probably too many actually, and too many storylines, and that's the main weakness. Also probably too serious for what it's supposed to be.

Out of 10, I'd give the following score to each season :

Season 1 : 8.5
Season 2 : 9.5 (possibly one of my favorite season of television ever)
Season 3 : 5
Season 4 : 7

I, like you, also have season 2 as my favorite, I just flat out loved it, Patrick Wilson as the younger Lou did such a fantastic job, truly underrated performance, and then of course my favorite character in all fargo rivalled CLOSELY by billy bob's Lorne Malvo, was bokeem woodbine's MIKE MILLIGAN baby, just an awesome job , such a cool cat

Don't get me wrong season 1 is a landmark and a gift to television, it was amazing
But I'm happy to see someone else thought highly of season 2 as well

Season 3 was alright, you could tell it's hard to come up with spectacular plots all the time for that writer , I mean just look at true detective, it's just hard to do, Thewlis was creepy good, and stuhlbarg was just a great out of his depth north dakotan lol, Ewan did the best he could

I'll be checking out season 4 real soon

Reactions: Domi a favor

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They've been playing reruns of Curb Your Enthusiasm's Season 10 and couldn't help but being impressed by Latte Larry's no defecation, spite store. Just a brilliant concept, the coffee shop has its own Yelp reviews: Latte Larry’s - Tarzana - Tarzana, CA

Sample review:

Latte Larry's is the original spite store.

Between the Purell bottles at each table, bolted down tables, revolutionary urinals, coffee heaters and scones from heaven... I'd say it's prettay, prettay, prettay, prettay good.

My only recommendation is that if you need to defecate, it's not the place for you..You can go next door to Mocha Joe's for that.

Looking forward to whatever Curb has in store for Season 11.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A previous poster mentioned that Nash the Slash was performing outside of the cinema. Nash has done the soundtrack to the film and I suppose they were re-booting the classic with sound,not sure but that's my suspicion.
On wiki I found this : He also composed music for other classic silent films including Nosferatu (1922) and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). So it was for the silent movie I would say. The work of Nash seems interresting, I will find out what his group FM did because it's the kind of music I used to listen.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finished the first Season of Umbrella Academy. As a whole, entertaining and a good balance between comedy and drama. Although it's hard to see these characters as real people, they look like card board characters, esp. if you compare it to The Boys where you see real emotion and people in there.

I think this felt like it was created by someone who went through back issues of X-Men comics with the TV Heroes inserted in there. A school for gifted youngsters trained by a zealot. Esp. the main story is essentialy Dark Phoenix(one would say Dark Phoenix done right compared to what they did with the movies but still). The ending *spoilers*

is like the end of Heroes Season 1, with a prevented catastrophic event.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
On wiki I found this : He also composed music for other classic silent films including Nosferatu (1922) and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). So it was for the silent movie I would say. The work of Nash seems interresting, I will find out what his group FM did because it's the kind of music I used to listen.

I remember the name FM and Nash as well had air time on the radio,but I could not name a song even if I heard one it's been so long! I only remember Nash because he opened up for Gary Numan and very memorable as it was so different from what I was accustomed to. Nash reminded me of the film ''The Elephant Man'',same era pretty much.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Finished the first Season of Umbrella Academy. As a whole, entertaining and a good balance between comedy and drama. Although it's hard to see these characters as real people, they look like card board characters, esp. if you compare it to The Boys where you see real emotion and people in there.

I think this felt like it was created by someone who went through back issues of X-Men comics with the TV Heroes inserted in there. A school for gifted youngsters trained by a zealot. Esp. the main story is essentialy Dark Phoenix(one would say Dark Phoenix done right compared to what they did with the movies but still). The ending *spoilers*

is like the end of Heroes Season 1, with a prevented catastrophic event.

It also took a lot from Heroes

Especially Hiro, Peterili and Sylar

It's meant to be cartoonish

Reactions: Kimota

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It was the silent movie.

silent movie on the screen, Nash performing live at the front of the theatre, just off to the side of the screen. Little spotlight on him so you could see him the whole time.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I actually do enjoy some musicals. Grease is one of my favorite musicals of all time, as is Hairspray. I did enjoy The Greatest Showman as well. I've never seen a live musical, uh, live, but I did watch Hamilton when it came out on Disney+.

Some musicals, modern ones like La La Land and classics like Phantom and Les Mis, I never got into. You'd have to force me to try to sit through Cats.

My snarky comment was more about LOTR books where those hobbits seem to sing like every 3rd page. It's been a long time since I've read the books, but that was what I remembered lol.

That and eating breakfasts all the time and showing off their large hairy feet. :) Parts are definitely like fairytales for small children. The first time I read it my book was basically destroyed because I had to go back and look up parts and also going to those darn maps all the time to see where they were, in the end I just pulled out all the pages that had maps so they would be handy to reach. :)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Kind of scary thinking about that! Can't imagine living in India where leopards and tigers are all over place let alone living in India with another billion plus inhabitants.:pullhair:

The leopards in India do a good living off dogs and cats that they catch and eat in the cities. It probably takes 2 loud dogs to scare away a cougar. Normally in research and I assume in hunting as well a few dogs will tree a cougar and the scientists then shot an arrow with sleeping drugs so they can check on the cat when it falls out of the tree.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The leopards in India do a good living off dogs and cats that they catch and eat in the cities. It probably takes 2 loud dogs to scare away a cougar. Normally in research and I assume in hunting as well a few dogs will tree a cougar and the scientists then shot an arrow with sleeping drugs so they can check on the cat when it falls out of the tree.

Lots of parts of India the leopards and tigers kind of enjoy people as well,must like spicy food:)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
So can I safely say you won't be accompanying us on the next camping trip in the Kalahari then eh?:(:)

I assume you mean the Okavango delta which is part of the Kalahari desert. I agree with Runner, crocs are really scary. Their plum sized brains, their killer roll and that they can swallow the head of a wildebeest, yikes. I always applaud when they are taken down by another animal like these ones for instance or hurt by hippos (who are scary too). The tigress was known as Machli, lived to be 20 years old in the wild (record) and the jaguar is known as Mick Jagger (don't know why, but Brazilians love Jagger and he once had a black patch over one of his eyes, might be the reason). Mick is a one eyed large male jaguar and jaguars have the strongest bite of any big cat so they are very adapted to killing crocodilians since they can bite into that tiny brain through all the armoured protection. There is another video of Mick Jagger where he catches a bigger one and where you think he has perished because they disappear into that murky water for a long time.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm totally bias....they could put a 2hrs show of a Stormtrooper doing his grocery that I would think it was good.
Still, The Mandalorian season 2 is worth the watch for any Star Wars fans.

Also watch the 1st episode of The Stand......very good start.

Reactions: ArtPeur and Deebs

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'm totally bias....they could put a 2hrs show of a Stormtrooper doing his grocery that I would think it was good.
Still, The Mandalorian season 2 is worth the watch for any Star Wars fans.

Also watch the 1st episode of The Stand......very good start.

I haven't watched the last episode of Mando but the 2nd season had some ups and down. Episode 6 (or 14) was like 25min long? It's a shame for any respectable show imo

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I haven't watched the last episode of Mando but the 2nd season had some ups and down. Episode 6 (or 14) was like 25min long? It's a shame for any respectable show imo

Really liked season 2, more than season one. Was really stoked they finally put Asohka in the live-action canon. Adding Boba Fett was expected, but a nice addition nonetheless.

Last edited:

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I assume you mean the Okavango delta which is part of the Kalahari desert. I agree with Runner, crocs are really scary. Their plum sized brains, their killer roll and that they can swallow the head of a wildebeest, yikes. I always applaud when they are taken down by another animal like these ones for instance or hurt by hippos (who are scary too). The tigress was known as Machli, lived to be 20 years old in the wild (record) and the jaguar is known as Mick Jagger (don't know why, but Brazilians love Jagger and he once had a black patch over one of his eyes, might be the reason). Mick is a one eyed large male jaguar and jaguars have the strongest bite of any big cat so they are very adapted to killing crocodilians since they can bite into that tiny brain through all the armoured protection. There is another video of Mick Jagger where he catches a bigger one and where you think he has perished because they disappear into that murky water for a long time.

The Kalahari is huge area and the Moremi game reserve is awesome,but that's pretty far North East of the Kalahari,coming from Windhoek anyways. There are plenty of game parks and reserves close by Windhoek and no need to cross borders. I'm not concerned about crocs,just keep distance and if on the water,a decent boat. Just have to keep alert and on your toes and make sure you're with the right people that know what they're doing.
Jaguars, interestingly enough,to some, have never have been reported killing a person. They crush the skull to kill rather than choke. I tried to see some in the wild but only saw prints,oh well! next time perhaps if another opportunity presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad