OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's encouraging to hear at least. Can't even get through 1 episode sometimes and never go back unless it has a pedigree and give it another episode. The recent version of Fargo was one that I had to give up,a shame as the other season were fine but now it seems like a joke by the brothers that just can put any pile of crap out there and people will mop it up it and give it all sorts of accolades.
I'm in the middle of it now (Fargo), it's alright, watchable. but nothing special, you're right.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's encouraging to hear at least. Can't even get through 1 episode sometimes and never go back unless it has a pedigree and give it another episode. The recent version of Fargo was one that I had to give up,a shame as the other season were fine but now it seems like a joke by the brothers that just can put any pile of crap out there and people will mop it up it and give it all sorts of accolades.

I stopped Fargo after 1 or 2 episodes of season 3. The story wasn't nearly as compelling in season 2 and 3 as it was in season 1.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I stopped Fargo after 1 or 2 episodes of season 3. The story wasn't nearly as compelling in season 2 and 3 as it was in season 1.
Right, season 1 was pretty hard to beat. I find this season interesting mainly for the time period it's situated in and the racial clash between the Jews, Blacks and the Italians. Now Timothy Olyphant show up as a Mormon detective. The goofy nurse is also hilarious.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Right, season 1 was pretty hard to beat. I find this season interesting mainly for the time period it's situated in and the racial clash between the Jews, Blacks and the Italians. Now Timothy Olyphant show up as a Mormon detective. The goofy nurse is also hilarious.

A good period piece about racial tension is the mini-series Roots. The plight of a young nation trying to establish themselves.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
For sure it would be great if seats were more comfortable,but more or less you know what you're gonna get going to a movie. Of course it's the movie that in the end is what it's all about. Seen enough garbage movies where I'd prefer to get held up and just lose my money quickly instead of the long drawn out waste of time that happens all too often.

I saw Sound of Music 7 times with my mom because she wouldn't go to a movie alone, she had to bribe me quite a bit for doing that. I can tell you that if someone met me and presented herself/himself as a Von Trapp my first reaction would be a fist to the nose. That is also why I never could enjoy a film fully that had Julie Andrews in it. Plummer is still OK though since he was less annoying.

tenor.gif

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I have only seen the movie which I love. Not often you can watch Swedish psychos in mainstream US movies.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I saw Sound of Music 7 times with my mom because she wouldn't go to a movie alone, she had to bribe me quite a bit for doing that. I can tell you that if someone met me and presented herself/himself as a Von Trapp my first reaction would be a fist to the nose. That is also why I never could enjoy a film fully that had Julie Andrews in it. Plummer is still OK though since he was less annoying.

tenor.gif

The things we do for mother eh?
Don't think I've ever seen it,but don't like her either for some reason. Guess none of your partners ever had any similarities to Andrews?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's an oldie,creepy movie. Haven't seen Nash the slash since he opened for Gary Numan in 78? Did anyone know who he was? still all wrapped up?
I've heard of the movie but never saw it. I did like Klaus Kinski in some movies, especially Fitzcarraldo by the same director Herzog. Kinski was giving all he can and even more. I guess he can be scary as hell in that vampire movie. His voice was naturally like a real vampire. It's funny to see him in a western movie like For a fitsfull of dollars, the first of the 3 Leone westerns with Eastwood.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Don't think I've ever seen it,but don't like her either for some reason. Guess none of your partners ever had any similarities to Andrews?

Andrews is not bad or was not bad looking, far from it but the early roles she had made her look just so wholesome, like a breakfast cereal made by a vitamin company. I remember when I saw and heard her saying f*ck in the movie 10, I was shell shocked.

tenor.gif

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've heard of the movie but never saw it. I did like Klaus Kinsky in some movies, especially Fitzcarraldo by the same director Herzog. Kinsky was giving all he can and even more. I guess he can be scary as hell in that vampire movie. His voice was naturally like a real vampire. It's funny to see him in a western movie like For a fitsfull of dollars, the first of the 3 Leone westerns with Eastwood.

Actually I believe it was in reference to the original silent version,but I may be mistaken.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Actually I believe it was in reference to the original silent version,but I may be mistaken.

That is what I thought as well, of course there was a remake of Nosferatu. No need for makeup for Kinski. I kind of liked his daughter and though she thought he was crazy as well. To read about the filming of "Fitzcarraldo" or to watch the documentaries done about it is very interesting. Apparently Herzog tried to burn down Kinski's house but the dog saved him. Kinski declined a role in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with "This script is a yawn-making, boring pile of shit". :)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This is proof of true love because I never saw the movie more than 10 minutes. Some kind of movies I can't stand. They show that movie every year in Xmas time since ... ever! lol

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

I enjoyed season 4 of Fargo. Not as compelling as season 1 and 2, but the story is good and there are many great characters. Probably too many actually, and too many storylines, and that's the main weakness. Also probably too serious for what it's supposed to be.

Out of 10, I'd give the following score to each season :

Season 1 : 8.5
Season 2 : 9.5 (possibly one of my favorite season of television ever)
Season 3 : 5
Season 4 : 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad