OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Watching it too. Very slow indeed but giving it a chance.

Slow can be fine if it's gripping,but then there is slow and it's just slow and takes forever to get somewhere and ends up a disappointment and a waste of time.With my ADD I can't get into a lot of stuff.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Haven't seen this in decades,but still fun and Wayne is actually very good,funny guy.

upload_2020-11-25_11-26-30.jpeg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Slow can be fine if it's gripping,but then there is slow and it's just slow and takes forever to get somewhere and ends up a disappointment and a waste of time.With my ADD I can't get into a lot of stuff.

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday and it was quite the commitment.

The images were stunningly beautiful, there was little in the way of dialogue and so much of it went beyond the cinematography of its time.

However, when MGM released it in 1968, they didn't know if it would draw an audience. They found out from the first theater they showed it at, that no one was interested in the first week. However, the theater owner convinced MGM that there had been a slow trickle of a particular demographic and that they ought to keep screening it for two more weeks. That trickle came from students who were smoking dope and to whom the film spoke to.

To your point -- this was slow and takes forever to get somewhere. I'm glad I watched it but this is not something I'd like to relive -- it's demands too much in the way of attention and commitment because it's so damn slow.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

The images were stunningly beautiful, there was little in the way of dialogue and so much of it went beyond the cinematography of its time.

However, when MGM released it in 1968, they didn't know if it would draw an audience. They found out from the first theater they showed it at, that no one was interested in the first week. However, the theater owner convinced MGM that there had been a slow trickle of a particular demographic and that they ought to keep screening it for two more weeks. That trickle came from students who were smoking dope and to whom the film spoke to.

To your point -- this was slow and takes forever to get somewhere. I'm glad I watched it but this is not something I'd like to relive -- it's demands too much in the way of attention and commitment because it's so damn slow.

I hear you,saw it as a kid,but didn't really remember it and tried it a few years back with the current mrs and it didn't take. Maybe it's easier to get into if you're blasted out of your mind. She's not that type but huge into space which explains why we visit observatories when we can and she's gung-ho to get on the shuttle when possible,time is ticking though.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Didn't get much out of that film the first time I watched it (many years ago). Got a lot more when I re-watched it a few years ago was like a video of an Alan Parsons Project instrumental. Kubrick left the audience to think about his films.

Had a similar experience with Once Upon a Time in America. Just seemed slow the first time I watched it but understood the pace more the second viewing. Took Sergio Leone many years to make the film, he turned down directing the Godfather in the process.

It does test the attention span when movies are that long, at least it does mine.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Didn't get much out of that film the first time I watched it (many years ago). Got a lot more when I re-watched it a few years ago was like a video of an Alan Parsons Project instrumental. Kubrick left the audience to think about his films.

Had a similar experience with Once Upon a Time in America. Just seemed slow the first time I watched it but understood the pace more the second viewing. Took Sergio Leone many years to make the film, he turned down directing the Godfather in the process.

It does test the attention span when movies are that long, at least it does mine.

Some movies you have to be in the right mood also to watch them. You don't just announce to everyone '' we're gonna watch Ben Hur'' or something like that. The original btw,not the remake.

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My only beef is that some of the games/moves in some of the scenes were illogical, like checkmating with an unprotected piece.
The same thing crossed my mind, I was wondering why the moves weren't explained more, I know the rules and used to play, but they lost me many times. They could have had a voice over commenting the next move and its consequences. Would've made it more entertaining for the layman; or maybe have Beth thinking out loud about her next move. Was still a very enjoyable watch; I liked the mom's piano playing choices.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great laugh he had,and a super nice guy from what they say.

Candy was part of a superb crew on SCTV. Loved the Mackenzie bros. There was something about the whole cast, they all had character.

I don't think I ever watched all they've done but it what I saw was hilarious.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Not a comedy,but JFK I liked his ability to do drama. They say in his role in JFK he was perspiring a ton,and Candy said that he was nervous and it was real sweat doing such a dramatic role,gotta love him.
Didn't see Summer Rental on the list,I enjoyed that and the Rip Torn is in it,best name ever! He played Sculley. Fun fact,was partying in Virginia with some guys and girls I has met at a bar and went looking for a friend of theirs named Sculley,small world.:)

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not a comedy,but JFK I liked his ability to do drama. They say in his role in JFK he was perspiring a ton,and Candy said that he was nervous and it was real sweat doing such a dramatic role,gotta love him.
Didn't see Summer Rental on the list,I enjoyed that and the Rip Torn is in it,best name ever! He played Sculley. Fun fact,was partying in Virginia with some guys and girls I has met at a bar and went looking for a friend of theirs named Sculley,small world.:)

I was wondering about Uncle Buck and Canadian Bacon, from that list.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't believe I waited so long to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I was never drawn to it and for some reason, it looked unappealing -- just another silly comedy flick.

However, better late than never. It was a real fun movie. Loved the interaction between Candy and Steve Martin. And the end turns into something else completely, it becomes so sentimental. I can now see why some consider it the best Thanksgiving movie of all time.

It ends with this, piped in:

The only part that eluded me was the guy in the closing shot at the end, sitting at a desk and looking at fashion shots/posters as the camera fades out. Who is he and why did the movie end like that? Was it John Hughes?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I can't believe I waited so long to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I was never drawn to it and for some reason, it looked unappealing -- just another silly comedy flick.

However, better late than never. It was a real fun movie. Loved the interaction between Candy and Steve Martin. And the end turns into something else completely, it becomes so sentimental. I can now see why some consider it the best Thanksgiving movie of all time.

It ends with this, piped in:

The only part that eluded me was the guy in the closing shot at the end, sitting at a desk and looking at fashion shots/posters as the camera fades out. Who is he and why did the movie end like that? Was it John Hughes?

I bought a cap like the guy from KS that sounded like he was snoring when he spoke about his wife how tough she was. "Her first born come out sideways, she didn’t scream or nothin." You can pull the flaps down, it is warm and also waterproof (the top of it). Don't remember anything about a guy in the end and I have seen it at least 5 times if not more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad