LA Confidential
Fight Club
LOTR trilogy
Star Wars ROTS

HM
Silver Lining Playbook
The Watchmen
Saving Private Ryan
The Edge of Tomorrow (im a sucker for Emily Blunt)

ps man, I just love those lightsaber battles :laugh: and its also the darkest SW movie, just a shame the acting sucks so much
Watchmen was the last super-hero film I cared about and the only super hero film I can think of that didn't follow the same cliched story arc (I'm sure there are others; can't think of any that were better). What an amazing experience to watch that genre without knowing what would happen. I know Watchmen followed the graphic novel almost perfectly, but I'd never read it. I knew nothing about any of the characters before seeing the film and was blown away.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watchmen was the last super-hero film I cared about and the only super hero film I can think of that didn't follow the same cliched story arc (I'm sure there are others; can't think of any that were better). What an amazing experience to watch that genre without knowing what would happen. I know Watchmen followed the graphic novel almost perfectly, but I'd never read it. I knew nothing about any of the characters before seeing the film and was blown away.

What I especially liked is that despite the source material being a critique of its own genre, Snyder managed to make it partly an hommage to the golden age of comic books and superheros. It is by far the most stylish of comic book adaptations, right next to Nolan's DK trilogy.

It is very close to the source material, but there were some differences like switching the giant alien squid for Manhattan's powers as Ozymandias's new world catalyst.

Reactions: sandviper

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Horror movies are inconsistent to say the least. But when you find a good one they tend to be great.

Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, The Omen, Carrie, Texas Chainsaw, Halloween. That's a pretty great list. Wicker Man was good but very off the wall. Suspira is considered a classic but I've got to say I didn't enjoy that one at all. Eraserhead was another mindbender... not a fan but I can see why some might be.

Sidenote: Jaws is my favourite movie of all time. That movie is just about perfect, even with the shark looking fake near the end of the film. Godfather, Pulp Fiction, It's a Wonderful Life... all are great and there are others. But there's not a wasted scene in Jaws. Because it's a "popcorn movie" it doesn't get near the respect it deserves. It broke so many conventions and redefined the film industry (for better or worse.)
I saw a movie when I was a kid. This was in the 70s and it scared the hell out of me. I remember a group of people making chalk/paper impressions of tome stones and then hanging them up in their house. They seemed to be the age of college kids as well... LOL. In any case, they had seemed to have awoken some kind of evil spirit. The last scene was a girl in a rowboat while positioned in a middle of a pond. From under her rowboat slowly rises the thing she is running from. Scared the crap out of me!

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I watch the entire extended trilogy of LOTR maybe once a year.

It’s a one week commitment every time since I usually split every movie in half.

Shawshank Redemption
LA Confidential
Fight Club
LOTR trilogy
Star Wars ROTS

HM
Silver Lining Playbook
The Watchmen
Saving Private Ryan
The Edge of Tomorrow (im a sucker for Emily Blunt)

ps man, I just love those lightsaber battles :laugh: and its also the darkest SW movie, just a shame the acting sucks so much

LOTR and Star wars trilogies are a given .....don't need to write it.:laugh:

Reactions: Redux91 and ArtPeur

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Watchmen was ok. I didn’t find it as bad as some fans said it was, but it was watered down compared to the comic. Technically and visually, the movie was well done. It does follow the basic ideas and many of the scenes from the graphic novel, but the storytelling and presentation was far inferior.

I get it, they only had a couple hours... but Watchmen should had been told over two movies. They left out an entire supporting story (more of an intermission) which really clarifies and explores the themes of Ozy’s plans, which were also much better explained in the graphic novel.

Anyhow, I liked the film but yeah, this wasn’t the movie to get Alan Moore back into films. It’s funny (and this isn’t directed at you at all so don’t take it this way) but many critics say comics are for kids, but to me, this movie was for kids and the graphic novel was for grown ups.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I saw a movie when I was a kid. This was in the 70s and it scared the hell out of me. I remember a group of people making chalk/paper impressions of tome stones and then hanging them up in their house. They seemed to be the age of college kids as well... LOL. In any case, they had seemed to have awoken some kind of evil spirit. The last scene was a girl in a rowboat while positioned in a middle of a pond. From under her rowboat slowly rises the thing she is running from. Scared the crap out of me!
I don't know about the tombstone part but the ending you describe sounds a lot like Friday the 13th

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In the end, I was hoping for a few more episodes, it was so good, Taylor-Joy was mesmerizing, I had not heard of her before.

I was looking for something of the same caliber.

I'm on Borgen (Netflix) right now, all thanks to a suggestion by @dinodebino . Season 1 has me riveted.

I saw that the Crown has a new season but I'm not sure I want to get into what appears to be one of those stuffy, upper lip high society posh extravaganzas. Can't get myself to care enough for their excesses and entitlements -- at least that's the impression I get but maybe I'm wrong.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
In the end, I was hoping for a few more episodes, it was so good, Taylor-Joy was mesmerizing, I had not heard of her before.

She really put her name on the board with that series.
I would like a season 2, but I doubt it will happen since they cover the entire book.

I saw her first in the movies Split and Glass tho

Reactions: OldCraig71

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Any chance it was " the reincarnation of Peter Proud''

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I was looking for something of the same caliber.

I'm on Borgen (Netflix) right now, all thanks to a suggestion by @dinodebino . Season 1 has me riveted.

I saw that the Crown has a new season but I'm not sure I want to get into what appears to be one of those stuffy, upper lip high society posh extravaganzas. Can't get myself to care enough for their excesses and entitlements -- at least that's the impression I get but maybe I'm wrong.

Different style, more fantasy, but seen ''His Dark Materials''?

Reactions: Runner77

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Films i could watch over and over again:

Action:

-Magnificent Seven (With Yul Brenner)
-City of God
-Rocky - the first one (who doesn't feel beaten down time to time and needs a good underdog pick-me-up story)
-Saving Private Ryan / Back Hawk down( both incredibly realistic)

Horror/Sci Fi:

-Get out
-Wicker Man (original version)
-The Thing
-2001 a space odyssey
-Unbreakable (another underrated movie that gets better the more you watch it)
-Planet of the Apes
-Rosemary's Baby
-The Devil's advocate (very underrated movie with many subtle layers and with a great understated performance by Pacino - listening to the director's commentary also makes you appreciate it more)

Drama:

-Dances with Wolves
-A River runs Through it (very simple story of brothers but with great acting and so beautifully shot)
- Los Olividados (incredible 1950's Mexican movie about juvenile poverty and delinquency - both heartbreaking and depressing)
-Giant (sprawling epic of the Texan way of life of cattle and oil barons)
-Shawshank redemption
- Slumdog Millionaire (what a movie)
-Dr.Strangelove
-Any of the Godfather's
-Stand by me
- Life is Beautiful

Comedy:

-Groundhog day (no pun intended)
-Wolf of Wall street ( not sure it should be considered a comedy, which is sad to ask because it is based on a true story)
-The Truman Show (don't know why - something about it is both unsettling and funny)
-Bruce Almighty / Yes man (o..k...yes, i like Jim Carrey, but these movies also have some good messages in them)
-Airplane
- Fools rush in (guilty pleasure - my wife is mexican so we kind of see ourselves in the movie, but it was well done)
-The Princess Bride
-Dodgeball (title doesn't inspire confidence but make no mistake, this movie is funny as hell and well written with an hilarious cast. Probably Ben Stiller's best comedic performance imo.)

And for the holidays....a Christmas Story! (......so good regardless of it being a holiday movie or not).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs and Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad