OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Decided to hop unto the series Power on Starz. Six seasons available on demand.

First season has mixed reviews but really picks up after that apparently.

Anyone on it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I bought a cap like the guy from KS that sounded like he was snoring when he spoke about his wife how tough she was. "Her first born come out sideways, she didn’t scream or nothin." You can pull the flaps down, it is warm and also waterproof (the top of it). Don't remember anything about a guy in the end and I have seen it at least 5 times if not more?

They have the snippet here, at the 7:17 mark:

In the version they showed on AMC, there were no credits when this scene appeared, the movie cut right to it and ended with it. And then came the credits.

Now it’s very clear that it was never intended to be part of the movie. Still don’t know what it means, tho.

Reactions: angusyoung

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

I was looking for something of the same caliber.

I'm on Borgen (Netflix) right now, all thanks to a suggestion by @dinodebino . Season 1 has me riveted.

I saw that the Crown has a new season but I'm not sure I want to get into what appears to be one of those stuffy, upper lip high society posh extravaganzas. Can't get myself to care enough for their excesses and entitlements -- at least that's the impression I get but maybe I'm wrong.

Sooo, you liked Borgen?

Reactions: Runner77

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

In the version they showed on AMC, there were no credits when this scene appeared, the movie cut right to it and ended with it. And then came the credits.

Now it’s very clear that it was never intended to be part of the movie. Still don’t know what it means, tho.

What's there to get?? The movie begins with Steve Martin in the middle of a boring marketing meeting that just won't end because the guy can't seem to decide which cover to choose from all the photos and he's just taking forever, almost oblivious to the fact that everybody at the meeting just want to get the hell out of there and go home for thanksgiving. Fast forward 3 days after all that has transpired and the guy is still there trying to pic a cover. I guess it's just a bit, the guy is so entranced by trying to pic the absolute right photo he hasn't even noticed that thanksgiving as come and passed by now.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I guess I never watched that far. It's hilarious because that is the client who couldn't decide one way or the other at the beginning and Martin's character was complaining to his colleague in the elevator after they left that guy's office when his colleague says: "Take the 8 O'Clock plane (or something) You'll never make it!". :) So he was still looking at those suggestions they gave him on Thanksgiving Day! That made sense to me and made it even funnier. Btw, the cap I bought looked similar to John Candy's at the end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess I never watched that far. It's hilarious because that is the client who couldn't decide one way or the other at the beginning and Martin's character was complaining to his colleague in the elevator after they left that guy's office when his colleague says: "Take the 8 O'Clock plane (or something) You'll never make it!". :) So he was still looking at those suggestions they gave him on Thanksgiving Day! That made sense to me and made it even funnier. Btw, the cap I bought looked similar to John Candy's at the end.

The TCM placement of that sequence threw me off.

Plus, it was the very first time I watched the movie. Some details escaped me.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Got the option of activating a one year free subscription to Apple TV. Anything worthwhile on that platform?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Got the option of activating a one year free subscription to Apple TV. Anything worthwhile on that platform?[/QUOTE

I am finishing a free 3 month stint and it was basically like Roku or for that matter Google so it is basically a platform, some free stuff but mostly access to things like Showtime, AMC, CBS ALL Access, Starz etc. where you have to have separate subscriptions, most films you have to pay for. The only thing that I have watched is a show called Ted Lasso, about a US football coach who becomes a coach for an English soccer team. Unlike many other they do tell you in very good time that your subscription which is automatically renewed will be so in a moth's time. Time for me to cancel it. But there are several free Apple produced stuff and since it is free no harm done.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I might add that it is perhaps a bit unfair of me to grade Apple TV+ since I have worked so much since I got that free trial and haven't really had time to watch anything. There might be some real good free stuff that Apple has produced booth in series and films. Last week I only watched soccer highlights on Peacock (NBC) and the news. I worked from 06:30 AM to 9 PM 2 days and from 06 AM to 8 PM on Wednesday.
Even on Friday when everybody was supposed to leave around noon I worked to 5 PM. I should really try to find another job where I also can work from home.

Last week it was all due to sending over 700 wires for a case called US Embassy Bombings where the US is paying people who got injured or relatives to people who died in the terrorist attacks in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. And of course the attorney firms, they always want their fees paid up first. I have so far wired out about 80 million dollars since 11/16/20. It doesn't help that the client which is an attorney firm in Israel are idiots.

Then of course I do all the WF cases (13) and they have strict demands because they pay a lot, We can get an email saying we need to void these checks now at 5 PM on a Friday afternoon and I will need to look up these checks to see if they are still outstanding which can take a long time since sometimes there are 15,000 checks to confirm.

I basically shower at around 9 PM and fall into the bed. Fortunately Jack supports me, I have lost 12 lbs since he came into my life, I have also cut down on sugar at least 70% and weed as well, Where before I might have downed a glass of juice I now pour a 3rd of that into a glass and add seltzer water to make a spritzer (I really have a bad sweeth tooth). :) While I am really tired this week I still feel better overall due to the decreased sugar intake (no candy either apart from Saturdays) since I have less pain and take less pain killers and also the walking with Jack, at least 5-7 miles per day. He is a strict "partner", he starts talking for about 5 minutes, then he bangs on the back of the chair with his front paws and finally he jumps on me. He is a funny guy that's for sure plus you are not tense when you take him walking since he has such sweet character whereas Carlito was sweet towards humans only. He was very aggressive towards all male dogs and he went for it immediately, if the dog did not submit he was going for a fight and if the dog submit, he humped it to show his dominance. People with other dogs started crossing the street whenever we went for a walk. With Jack I have people stopping to hug him and many dogs love him.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Haven’t finished yet it but great suggestion. I’m watching it in Finnish with subtitles. Superb casting and acting. Thx again for recommending it.

If you want to watch a Finnish film watch "Maa On Syntinen Laulu" - "The Earth is a Sinful Song". That will explain why Finns are known to be quiet. It's a lot of nudity, not all of it are younger people that's for sure but an interesting story about the conflict between the Sami and the mainstream population and also some religious movements. We have also a Sami population in Sweden and the conflicts are similar. It's from the early 70s and it won several prices in Europe.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Anyone on it?

I absolutely love that show but honestly it goes a bit downhill after season 3 and season 6 is absolute crap with a shit ending but overall I still loved it.

Logic goes a bit out the window after season 3 so don’t take it too seriously after.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just watched Tenet.......

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't blink and don't go to the bathroom during the movie and even then, you might have to watch the movie a 2nd time to get all the aspects of this well crafted thriller.

Original, complex, the special effect are impressive and despite the movie running for 2h30, there's no down time.
That was something else, loved it.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Dad took me to see it. Remember the quite intense rhino scene and the Baby Elephant Walk melody.

They show films in the original language and add subtitles in Sweden?

Good fun movie,like Red Buttons a lot. He was great on those Dean Martin roast way back when.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

The ending was a bit melancholy though.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I absolutely love that show but honestly it goes a bit downhill after season 3 and season 6 is absolute crap with a shit ending but overall I still loved it.

Logic goes a bit out the window after season 3 so don’t take it too seriously after.

Your last paragraph is why I have a hard time following series. Like milk they will eventually go bad.

I am watching Endeavour which is Inspector Morse as a young policeman then becoming a detective and so on. It's pretty good if you like these kind of "whodunnit". I believe it is on Prime but also on PBS Master Theatre which is where I watch it and I support PBS with 10 dollars monthly. PBS is public broadcasting in the US. No commercials during a show, just sponsorship before and after the show/film. Ken Burns for instance makes really good documentaries and they were all done for PBS at first. A famous one about the Civil War, one about baseball, another one about Lewis and Clarke going to Oregon mapping the source of Missouri/Mississippi and reaching the Pacific plus many many more. All worth watching.

Lewis and Clark Expedition - Wikipedia

Last edited:

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga

Anyone on it?
Yeah my wife and I watched all six seasons. Like many shows that run this long, it could have been cut down a bit, but I found it worth watching to the end nonetheless. Absolutely love the Tommy character. And 50 Cent is great too but you have to train your ear cause he mumbles all the time.

Power Book 2, the sequel to Power, started this fall, and we're watching that. It's on mid-season break now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah my wife and I watched all six seasons. Like many shows that run this long, it could have been cut down a bit, but I found it worth watching to the end nonetheless. Absolutely love the Tommy character. And 50 Cent is great too but you have to train your ear cause he mumbles all the time.

Power Book 2, the sequel to Power, started this fall, and we're watching that. It's on mid-season break now.

Just finished S1. Liked the storyline but some of the main characters came across as too polished and kept getting into the same type of interactions repeatedly, without impact on the story. They definitely could have used tighter editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad