OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My go-to is Shawshank. I must have watched it over 20 times.

Curious to know which movie others in here can watch over and over and never get tired of it.
Great flick too, but I wouldn't be able to watch it over and over again.
I watched ''La Verité Si Je Mens 2'' about 100 times. My favorite comedy, hands down.

I hate the times we live in, I really have to make an effort to change my ways. I have a very tough time watching a movie at home without being distracted by my laptop or phone. IG, Twitter, HFboards, FB, whatsapp, messenger, news, there's always something to check or notifications grabbing my attention.
It's so annoying.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great flick too, but I wouldn't be able to watch it over and over again.
I watched ''La Verité Si Je Mens 2'' about 100 times. My favorite comedy, hands down.

Interesting choice, I had never heard of that. If you watched it that many times, it's got something going for it.

I saw that it's a 2001 movie and that there is even a third part, but since you didn't mention Parts 1 and 3, I take it they're not up to scratch.

I wonder where I can see it, it's not available on demand.

I noticed that it has appeared on TCM under its English title, "Would I lie to you? 2" but it's not slated to play right now.

Edit: there's even a Part 4, lol.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Curious to know which movie others in here can watch over and over and never get tired of it.

For me its a constant battle between 4 movies
The Deer Hunter (You have to be in a mood tho lol)
Forrest Gump
Back To The Future
2001 Space Odyssey

Recently ive been watching 2001 space odyssey more and more and it keeps smacking me in the face how truly incredible a film it is..how could Kubrick of made this in 1968 before we landed men on the moon is absolutely beyond me. Its a majestic film, one of the best ive ever ever seen and it gets better everytime i see it, its just perfect

Kubrick would sit and watch The Godfather and exclaim "this movie is perfect" but I personally feel the exact same about HIS movie lol, I cant get enough of the Shining either, just so god damn good

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I have a very tough time watching a movie at home without being distracted by my laptop or phone. IG, Twitter, HFboards, FB, whatsapp, messenger, news, there's always something to check or notifications grabbing my attention.
It's so annoying.

I have the same problem mostly cause I use a two screen set-up, where one also serves as a TV monitor. It's great for watching sports but not so much for movies or series if they are both on. Ideally would be a TV in another room without distractions, but I just turn off the extra screen and it helps.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interesting choice, I had never heard of that. If you watched it that many times, it's got something going for it.

I saw that it's a 2001 movie and that there is even a third part, but since you didn't mention Parts 1 and 3, I take it they're not up to scratch.

I wonder where I can see it, it's not available on demand.

I noticed that it has appeared on TCM under its English title, "Would I lie to you? 2" but it's not slated to play right now.

Edit: there's even a Part 4, lol.

Ya the 2nd one is by far the best. The other ones don't really do it for me.
It's a particular french though so you need to understand the accents and slang, Moroccan style.
Not sure I'd find it as funny without that.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Don't laugh, but I can still sit through The Wizard of Oz once a year around X-Mas as a tradition. Also, I fell with love with Judy Garland when she sang Over the rainbow. (I was 12) OK you can laugh. :laugh:

Wizard of Oz came out in 1939! congrats!!!!!

Megaforce

I liked Liberator on Netflix. Stylized realistic cartoon-like real story from World War II. I like big plotlines of life and death because who cares ultimately if the cutsey girl wins her chess match or not? I also like Billions on Crave and highly recommend Succession for its crazy, witty dialogue, Macauley Caulkin's brother in particular.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

• Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Brilliant. Quotable. Hilarious.
• The Godfather: The most perfect movie ever made. The way it looks, the cast, the operatic story... once I start watching I don't stop.
• Pulp Fiction: The ultimate sugar-high.

Recently ive been watching 2001 space odyssey more and more and it keeps smacking me in the face how truly incredible a film it is..how could Kubrick of made this in 1968 before we landed men on the moon is absolutely beyond me. Its a majestic film, one of the best ive ever ever seen and it gets better everytime i see it, its just perfect

Kubrick would sit and watch The Godfather and exclaim "this movie is perfect" but I personally feel the exact same about HIS movie lol, I cant get enough of the Shining either, just so god damn good

I worship 2001 Space Odyssey. It's the smartest movie ever made, surrounding the deepest story ever told in film. The special effects were groundbreaking (although they probably could edit about 10 minutes from the docking sequences and zero-gravity scenes). Also, it remains one of the very few films to avoid cheap sound effects in outer space. No whooshing or banging, just the absolute silence of a vacuum.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
For me its a constant battle between 4 movies
The Deer Hunter (You have to be in a mood tho lol)
Forrest Gump
Back To The Future
2001 Space Odyssey

So you'll appreciate this as a fellow Kubrick fan. I worked with a guy whose grandfather had been personally invited by Kubrick to help lead his effects squad for 2001. He showed me the signed letter and everything. IIRC, my friend's grandpa was a big name in the Canadian practical effects scene and had caught Kubrick's attention. Unfortunately he had to decline the offer as it would have necessitated moving out of the country.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Don't laugh, but I can still sit through The Wizard of Oz once a year around X-Mas as a tradition. Also, I fell with love with Judy Garland when she sang Over the rainbow. (I was 12) OK you can laugh. :laugh:
Yeah, The Wizard of Oz is another one I'll always stop what I'm doing to watch.

Seasonal favourites:
- The 10 Commandments: It doesn't get more epic.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas: The music by Vince Guaraldi gets me every time.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just finished a biography on Mitchum, the bad boy of Hollywood in his day. He is known for the noir films, lots of other good roles. Interesting some of the parts he turned down: Cat Ballou (Lee Marvin role), Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood), The French Connection (Gene Hackman) and Patton (George C. Scott).

I'm a fan of Charles Laughton as well, Night of the Hunter is the only film he directed which is too bad.

So is it true that Mitchum was huge fan of LSD?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I remembered her from a silent film I saw a long time ago. She was a great actress in that era.

MV5BMTU5Mjk1MzcwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzY4NzI2._V1_UY1200_CR150,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

She's pretty and all,just find her mouth a bit too tiny for me.;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So you'll appreciate this as a fellow Kubrick fan. I worked with a guy whose grandfather had been personally invited by Kubrick to help lead his effects squad for 2001. He showed me the signed letter and everything. IIRC, my friend's grandpa was a big name in the Canadian practical effects scene and had caught Kubrick's attention. Unfortunately he had to decline the offer as it would have necessitated moving out of the country.
That's freakin cool!

I think I mentioned that 2001 Space Odyssey was the very first film I ever saw in the theatre. I was a little kid; my hippie aunt took me. I remember the visuals, especially the final scene with Bowman being sucked into the obelisk and the aging sequence, but I didn't understand what the hell it meant. Took me years to realize none of the adults did either.

I asked my aunt about it a few months ago. She said, "Yeah, I must've seen that film a dozen times... I was stoned out of my mind every time. I don't remember taking you, but it sounds like something I'd do". :laugh:

Reactions: overlords

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

I know now with all the streaming services it must available to watch any time..but for a long time this movie was on about once every other week on A&E maybe, one of those channels. Probably one of the most rewatched movies of all time.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
So is it true that Mitchum was huge fan of LSD?
Didn't see that in the book (Lee Server-Baby I Don't Care). He was busted for marijuana, spent two months in jail. The conviction was later overturned, sounded like a frame up. He apparentley liked to party mainly liquor, weed and women. A product of the era.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

There's many, many, many movies in that list for me.
Shawshank would be one of them....I watched it last week (mostly)

Me and my close friends are still quoting some old classic for us (In french) so when they come up...I have to watch: Coming to America (can't wait to see the 2nd), Back to the future trilogies, Golden child and for some reason Rocky 4.

But if I have a top 5 movies that I watched the most in my lifetime, it probably would be Fight Club, American History X, Schindler's List, Gladiator and Die Hard.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Shawshank Redemption
LA Confidential
Fight Club
LOTR trilogy
Star Wars ROTS

HM
Silver Lining Playbook
The Watchmen
Saving Private Ryan
The Edge of Tomorrow (im a sucker for Emily Blunt)

ps man, I just love those lightsaber battles :laugh: and its also the darkest SW movie, just a shame the acting sucks so much

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
There's many, many, many movies in that list for me.
Shawshank would be one of them....I watched it last week (mostly)

Me and my close friends are still quoting some old classic for us (In french) so when they come up...I have to watch: Coming to America (can't wait to see the 2nd), Back to the future trilogies, Golden child and for some reason Rocky 4.

But if I have a top 5 movies that I watched the most in my lifetime, it probably would be Fight Club, American History X, Schindler's List, Gladiator and Die Hard.

I really love all three first movies, but the 3rd one I must've watched a few dozen times. Die Hard twisted into a buddy cop movie with Sam Jackson having huge chemistry with Willis, and then you have Jeremy Irons as Hans Grubber's brother (not to take anything away from Alan Rickman)!! It was just the perfect Die Hard to me. It remains one of my favorite action flicks, but I haven't watched it in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad