OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Any knowledgeable about horror movies in the 70s?

I was born in the early 70s so I didn’t exactly watch a lot of horror. However, my parents did, especially my mom. I don’t really seek out films from this period, but I’ve seen a few during the 80s as I got older. What I do remember, and I could be wrong, is many horror movies of that time were more monster driven and science experiments gone wrong.

Anyhow, other than some obvious choices like Exorcist, Alien, The Omen and of course, Jaws; I remember Duel disturbing me quite a bit as a kid.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When I think of hockey players it's more a souvenir / memories thing. When the Rocket passed on, I was flooded with emotions, not because it was the Rocket, but for all the memories it brought back of me and my dad at my first hockey game and meeting the players after the game. Richard was my dad's idol. :nod:

I was sad when Béliveau died, and I'll probably choke up when the Flower kicks it. (unless I beat him to it) :sarcasm:

Ya, I can agree with the memories too, that makes sense.

Funny enough, Id probably be a lot more emotional if something happened to a member around here, even if Ive never even seen most of you.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I was born in the early 70s so I didn’t exactly watch a lot of horror. However, my parents did, especially my mom. I don’t really seek out films from this period, but I’ve seen a few during the 80s as I got older. What I do remember, and I could be wrong, is many horror movies of that time were more monster driven and science experiments gone wrong.

Anyhow, other than some obvious choices like Exorcist, Alien, The Omen and of course, Jaws; I remember Duel disturbing me quite a bit as a kid.

I was old enough in the 70s, in fact I was a teen and I watched mainly horror movies. Apart from those you mentioned we have Halloween in the latter part of the 70s, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Don't Look Now scared me shitless, it had great actors in Donald Sutherland and and Julie Christie. Black Christmas with another Canadian, actress Margot Kidder. The Wicker Man with Christopher Lee. Carrie. Btw the Duel is great. I am sure there must have been a Dracula with Christopher Lee in the 70s. Not much of a Zombie guy but I remember watching Dawn of the Dead although it might have been made in the 80s?

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I was old enough in the 70s, in fact I was a teen and I watched mainly horror movies. Apart from those you mentioned we have Halloween in the latter part of the 70s, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Don't Look Now scared me shitless, it had great actors in Donald Sutherland and and Julie Christie. Black Christmas with another Canadian, actress Margot Kidder. The Wicker Man with Christopher Lee. Carrie. Btw the Duel is great. I am sure there must have been a Dracula with Christopher Lee in the 70s. Not much of a Zombie guy but I remember watching Dawn of the Dead although it might have been made in the 80s?

Pretty sure Dawn of the Dead was in the 70ies cause i was a young kid in the 80ies and the movie was already oldish and an "urban legend". Obviously Jaws, Carrie and The Exorcist ;) The Hills Have Eyes and The Last House on the Left are not great but are watchable.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Night of the Living Dead is another one, made in '68. When I was in grade 7 my high school screened it in our auditorium, I guess that was '79. Scared me shirtless, couldn't sleep that night. Every now and then I consider watching it again but never got round to it.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
A thriller/horror film that left a lasting impression-The Night of the Hunter

Copy_of_NightH.jpg

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
From that era I also like the work of the actress Clara Bow. She had such an unusual way of acting for that time but it translates so well to the current style of acting, it feels like she could just act nowadays and be great!

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
A thriller/horror film that left a lasting impression-The Night of the Hunter

Copy_of_NightH.jpg

Indeed, one of the better noir films I have seen of this type, with a great actor directing it. Mitchum was a great as a psychopath just like in Cape Fear as well. I have seen it multiple times on TCM.

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have seen it at least 4 times on TCM during my 21 years in the US.

I’ve been dabbling on TCM movies over the past few months but did not know about this one. I’ll take a look and see if it comes back soon. Thx so much for your feedback.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
What impressed most about it? Is this a movie you’ve watched repeatedly?
From memory seen it twice. Without posting spoilers it's a taut, edge of the seat, creepy drama. Robert Mitchum plays a heavy well.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Intolerance is a movie everyone should watch at least once. They had the biggest set for that movie in 1916. Crazy!
temple-sequence-Babylon-Intolerance-DW-Griffith.jpg
Will check this out. I've been watching some silent movies lately. Did a comparison of the Iron Mask movies (including the DiCaprio version) and liked the silent version best (Douglas Fairbanks).

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Indeed, one of the better noir films I have seen of this type, with a great actor directing it. Mitchum was a great as a psychopath just like in Cape Fear as well. I have seen it multiple times on TCM.
Just finished a biography on Mitchum, the bad boy of Hollywood in his day. He is known for the noir films, lots of other good roles. Interesting some of the parts he turned down: Cat Ballou (Lee Marvin role), Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood), The French Connection (Gene Hackman) and Patton (George C. Scott).

I'm a fan of Charles Laughton as well, Night of the Hunter is the only film he directed which is too bad.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I’ve been dabbling on TCM movies over the past few months but did not know about this one. I’ll take a look and see if it comes back soon. Thx so much for your feedback.

It's based loosely on a real story btw.

Edit:

Harry Powers was a serial killer who married widows and killed them. I believe the found 5 bodies when he was arrested. Springsteen used it in Cautious Man where the main person tattoos LOVE one the knuckles on one hand and FEAR on the other. In the Night of The Hunter Mitchum has LOVE and HATE tattooed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I saw The Lighthouse (with Willem Dafoe) last night. I know it received great reviews and it's imdb score is in the 7s but to use a British expression, that film is not my cup of tea.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I was going to watch Noir last night after talking about Mitchum and went to the nearest dispenser first. They had jellies, $5.00. Got one. I had been working and apart from a hard boiled egg with smoked cod roe (Swedish Kaviar) and a glass of home made rhubarb cordial (Grannie's recipe) my belly was empty.
I did not read the instructions and did the same mistake as I did when I made brownies. I ate the whole jelly and got super stoned after an hour. I was actually worried that I would fall over when I took out Cactus Jack the last time but I made it back after literally many misstep. I just felt uncomfortable, slightly nauseous but with no risk of throwing up. Could barely sleep (90 minutes).
It had great cinematography and wonderful acting but everything else was fit to be flushed down a toilet.

Damn! I was going to watch it. Well, saved from a disappointment.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just watched the end of Mr Robot. Probably the best finale I've ever seen.

The show lagged in season 2 to the point where I thought about dumping it but I'm glad I stuck with it. What a wicked show.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Any knowledgeable about horror movies in the 70s?
Horror movies are inconsistent to say the least. But when you find a good one they tend to be great.

Exorcist, Jaws, Alien, The Omen, Carrie, Texas Chainsaw, Halloween. That's a pretty great list. Wicker Man was good but very off the wall. Suspira is considered a classic but I've got to say I didn't enjoy that one at all. Eraserhead was another mindbender... not a fan but I can see why some might be.

Sidenote: Jaws is my favourite movie of all time. That movie is just about perfect, even with the shark looking fake near the end of the film. Godfather, Pulp Fiction, It's a Wonderful Life... all are great and there are others. But there's not a wasted scene in Jaws. Because it's a "popcorn movie" it doesn't get near the respect it deserves. It broke so many conventions and redefined the film industry (for better or worse.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad