OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Recorded North by Northwest last week on TCM and finally got to see it. Hitchcock magic at its best.

Some interesting stories and anecdotes surrounding the filming of the movie: 13 Monumental Facts About <em>North by Northwest</em>

Lots of sexual innuendo for 1959. Edward Platt of Get Smart fame plays a lawyer. Supporting characters include James Mason and Martin Landau.

What's really famous about this movie for those who haven't seen it, the crop dusting sequence.

As the TCM pundits termed it, it's one of the top 10 movie sequences of all time.

north-by-northwest-crop-duster.gif

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Recorded North by Northwest last week on TCM and finally got to see it. Hitchcock magic at its best.

Some interesting stories and anecdotes surrounding the filming of the movie: 13 Monumental Facts About <em>North by Northwest</em>

Lots of sexual innuendo for 1959. Edward Platt of Get Smart fame plays a lawyer. Supporting characters include James Mason and Martin Landau.

What's really famous about this movie for those who haven't seen it, the crop dusting sequence.

As the TCM pundits termed it, it's one of the top 10 movie sequences of all time.

Landau as one of the bad guys is interesting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Landau could do comedy as well. He was hilarious as Bob Ryan in Entourage, one of the few highlights of that series.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Entourage last week and was struggling to get through.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It takes a serious commitment to wade through that series. The supporting cast is outstanding, but the 2 main characters, Vince and Eric, drag the quality down. For me it's worth watching but I understand those who can't bear to.

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Ten years before, Cary Grant could have been the star of The Third Man, another classic, but he asked for too much money so the role went to Joseph Cotten. Nice to see him in a different type of role.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It takes a serious commitment to wade through that series. The supporting cast is outstanding, but the 2 main characters, Vince and Eric, drag the quality down. For me it's worth watching but I understand those who can't bear to.

I enjoyed the later episodes more. I wanted to see those episodes I had missed. Eric in particular, is terrible. I don’t know how he was even cast in this.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Don't think I've ever seen a poor Hitchcock film,always entertaining,always looking for his ''cameo''
He often had Jimmy Stewart in roles and is actually a very funny person,has a lot of good lines. Grant also is a very nice guy,lots to like about him.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Don't think I've ever seen a poor Hitchcock film,always entertaining,always looking for his ''cameo''
He often had Jimmy Stewart in roles and is actually a very funny person,has a lot of good lines. Grant also is a very nice guy,lots to like about him.

One of the more underrated is Frenzy! Love that film and his cameo is being a spectator when they pull up a body from the Thames. All British Shakespeare actors and many comedy moments like for instance when the main defective's wife is taking a French cooking class. He just wants the typical British pub fare (not very good apart from the shepherd's pies IMHO). To see he lack of enthusiasm when she presents him with a tiny bird with a fancy French name for dinner is priceless, great acting from both . :)

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Great movie. I love James Mason. Something about his voice and accent, I could listen to him talk for hours.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They should have all Hitchcock films on demand somewhere rather than getting them piecemeal on TCM, if you're lucky.

Reactions: angusyoung

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just got around to watch Cobra Kai (easier since it's on netflix now) and I didn't expect to like it at all.....but hell, even if it's not worth any awards, it was surprisingly entertaining (especially if you liked the old Karate Kid movies).

Reactions: calder candidate

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just got around to watch Cobra Kai (easier since it's on netflix now) and I didn't expect to like it at all.....but hell, even if it's not worth any awards, it was surprisingly entertaining (especially if you liked the old Karate Kid movies).

It's a bit corny like the old movies, but yeah, it was entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad