OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just got around to watch Cobra Kai (easier since it's on netflix now) and I didn't expect to like it at all.....but hell, even if it's not worth any awards, it was surprisingly entertaining (especially if you liked the old Karate Kid movies).

It's a bit corny like the old movies, but yeah, it was entertaining.

My wife and I just finished watching it the other night. Yeah there's the cheesy kid stuff but man, the Johnny Lawrence character kills me lol. Some great one liners. The soundtrack is classic as well
Same reaction as you guys. "Are you kidding me?? This can't be good!". Followed by: "Okay, just one more episode to see what happens to Johnny...".

Cobra Kai's story relies on all the characters bumping into each other at the wrong time. It's pure cheese. But the show might be the year's best guilty pleasure.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I watched a really solid movie last night... The Father. Anthony Hopkins is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. He’s so winning a 2nd Oscar for this. He plays a guy with dementia.

I also really loved Nomadland. The less you know about that film, the better.

I found One Night in Miami and Concrete Cowboy to be very boring. I liked the acting and that’s pretty much it. Also, Shadow in the Cloud is horrible, barring 2 unintentional hilarious scenes that almost make up for it (you have to see it to believe it).
Next, watch Hopkins in The Two Popes. How can a scene with two old men talking be exciting? Watch the push/pull between Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce as they debate religion and be reminded of the astounding power of great acting.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Same reaction as you guys. "Are you kidding me?? This can't be good!". Followed by: "Okay, just one more episode to see what happens to Johnny...".

Cobra Kai's story relies on all the characters bumping into each other at the wrong time. It's pure cheese. But the show might be the year's best guilty pleasure.

Yeah almost every fight and drama is contrived to happen, but it's still fun to watch!

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Next, watch Hopkins in The Two Popes. How can a scene with two old men talking be exciting? Watch the push/pull between Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce as they debate religion and be reminded of the astounding power of great acting.
Oh I’ve seen it! I agree it’s great!

Reactions: Redux91 and Lshap

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just went and saw the wiki page. Bill Hader, so it can't be bad, but jeeze, does Henry Winkler ever gonna quit showbiz?? The guy just keeps on going.

source.gif

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
like-moi (final season): 7.8/10

rue King seaon 1: 7.5/10 good improv sitcom

the act: 6/10 based on a crazy real story but it's not a good show.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Just saw episode 5 of the Boys 2. The ending is decliciously awesome. :laugh: :thumbu:

I don't know how I feel about season 2. Some things feel a bit too cartoonish to my liking whereas season 1 felt a bit more grounded. Or maybe I'm misremembering things, but I know S1 felt better while I was watching it.

I also can't help but notice the sheer amount of exposition that goes on with those random televisions newsflashes in pretty much every single episodes after watching the S1 Honest trailer. It's fine when it is very seldomly used, but it's starting to feel like lazy writing to me. I'm also a bit bummed out by characters being portrayed (won't say who) as pure evil with no redeeming qualities. Typically, a bit of nuances don't hurt.

The show is still fun, though.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finally got to S1 of "Criminal: UK".

If you want intensity it's the show you should watch.

The cast is star-studded. An absolute joy to watch them work.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't know how I feel about season 2. Some things feel a bit too cartoonish to my liking whereas season 1 felt a bit more grounded. Or maybe I'm misremembering things, but I know S1 felt better while I was watching it.

I also can't help but notice the sheer amount of exposition that goes on with those random televisions newsflashes in pretty much every single episodes after watching the S1 Honest trailer. It's fine when it is very seldomly used, but it's starting to feel like lazy writing to me. I'm also a bit bummed out by characters being portrayed (won't say who) as pure evil with no redeeming qualities. Typically, a bit of nuances don't hurt.

I get what you are saying, yea. Also I see this happening with a lot of shows where before it was clever but they try to amp the stakes and the humour and violence and viewers sees it as the season being better because there is more stuff but it's an illusion.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Like what?

The irony is that the comic book is far more gruesome. Google image search "pin on the boys comic +18" for a taste. That comic book pinup is actually based on a superman joke/quote from Kevin Smith's Mallrats. That pinup tells us why Madelyn is ever so careful when she hops unto him.

I'm guessing Stormfront or Homelander. The comic made a point of having almost every super as a narcissist or psychopath. I've rarely heard of psychopaths with redeeming qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Like what?

The irony is that the comic book is far more gruesome. Google "Homelander kills Becca" for a taste. That comic book scene is actually based on a superman joke/quote from Kevin Smith's Mallrats. That comic book scene tells us why Madrlyn is ever so careful when she hops unto him.

I'm guessing Stormfront or Homelander. The comic made a point of having almost every super as a narcissist or psychopath. I've rarely heard of psychopaths with redeeming qualities.

For the record, I'm only speaking based on my own appreciation of the show. I wasn't even aware it was based on a comic.

I also find the French dude corny as hell.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Speaking about characters being Evil with no redeeming qualities, it does feel cartoonish in that aspect but they always bring it back. Like Homelander redeemed himself to me at the end of last season with the big reveal. Then he felt down back again this year with the revelation of what happened but it's a character that keeps surprising me time after time after time, making me laugh. He's Evil but so watchable.

"it has to be better with the Whedon cut" :D

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I knew that they wouldn't kill Black Noir because it has to be the Japanese girl that kills him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
God damn the French scene in s2 e1 of the boys... never seen french sound so cringe

I had no idea what they were saying but then again it's not the first time they do this in American movies and TV shows with other languages than english. One of the worst ones I've seen was Julia Ormond in Mad Men. They were supposed to play an older french-Canadian couple, she could barely speak it and when she did, it was the France accent.

I like Frenchie though, I have seen Frenchmen just like that, you could never find them anywhere else in the World. lol The actor plays him right, I'm certain he must know people like that too. I find those french neurotic tough guys types so funny. Although I wish they would calm down on his love cruh for Kimiko and make him more nuts and edgy like when he was introduced.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Good casting choice for She-Hulk. Maslany is a good actor.

In related comic news, Pattinson made a full recovery and Batman has resumed filming.

She is a good actress. I am guessing they went for a character-actor intead of the Charlie Cox Daredevil way. No mention of the She-Hulk side though which worries me because I don't know that a TV show will be able to have the budget to do a great CGI human.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Cobra Kai is just flat out awesome.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I just watched one of the worst movies ever made. It made The Room look like a masterpiece (which it is).

The Water Man. Oouf! How could Oprah Winfrey produce this project? It was beyond horrible - and somehow the film is getting glowing reviews, comparing it to something Spielberg would make in the 80s?! What in the ass f***?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I knew that they wouldn't kill Black Noir because it has to be the Japanese girl that kills him.

In the comic, Black Noir is a homelander clone (no spoils, the series went sideways on that part) bred to be Homelander's shadow and failsafe in case homelander went berserk. Black noir kills Homelander and right after, gets finished by Butcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->