OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I can understand why some people don't like Picard, as it deviates quite a bit from the Star Trek we all grew up on.

For my part, I love the path they're on with Picard who's always been fair and noble in the past, but in his old age is showing sensivity and tolerance that wasn't acceptable for a star ship captain. I also really like the new characters who are all very flawed and very interesting.

Picard himself has always been my favorite TNG character and I don't really have a problem with his personality and its changes from before. I do find the show is a bit hard to get into (for me) as at least up to the episode I'm at, it's struggling a bit finding its identity; is it action, character or political drama? I find it's trying to do a lot but not hitting the mark.

I don't dislike the show at all. I'm just not into it like I was with TNG and DS9. Voyager was ok at times whereas Enterprise I actually disliked for the most part. I get Star Trek now (Picard and Discovery) aren't as sanitized as before and I'm ok with this.

However, I am still intrigued by Picard's arc and am looking forward to the finale which for me is a couple episodes to go.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Picard himself has always been my favorite TNG character and I don't really have a problem with his personality and its changes from before. I do find the show is a bit hard to get into (for me) as at least up to the episode I'm at, it's struggling a bit finding its identity; is it action, character or political drama? I find it's trying to do a lot but not hitting the mark.

I don't dislike the show at all. I'm just not into it like I was with TNG and DS9. Voyager was ok at times whereas Enterprise I actually disliked for the most part. I get Star Trek now (Picard and Discovery) aren't as sanitized as before and I'm ok with this.

However, I am still intrigued by Picard's arc and am looking forward to the finale which for me is a couple episodes to go.

I'll wager you won't be disappointed. :)

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Finished the first season of "The man of the high castle".

The show sure likes to contemplate itself and to delay any significant event or even the insignifant ones.

Interesting premise, terrible pace.
Rarely seen a show that much reluctant to tell its own story.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Finished the first season of "The man of the high castle".

The show sure likes to contemplate itself and to delay any significant event or even the insignifant ones.

Interesting premise, terrible pace.
Rarely seen a show that much reluctant to tell its own story.

That show has an adequate season two and then drops the ball in seasons 3 and 4.

Reactions: zx81

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Any New Order fans out there? Just saw the concert film Decades on Showtime. Their idea was to work with a dozen music students, all 12 populating a synth orchestra, and put them in animated pods designed by an artist (Liam Gillick)... It really gave the concert an otherworldly appearance (a bit like a Kraftwerk show, another throwback lol). The movie closes with the Joy Division song Decades as an encore. The music was re-arranged to map to 12 synth players, plus the band members themselves who added theirs.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Started watching the McMillions documentary on HBO. The main FBI agent, ahem, likes himself very much. And bad tie. This story is absolutely mind-boggling. To think that the main culprit only got 34 months or so of jail time for such a fraud. A long-lasting fraud.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watched the first episode of The Man in the High Castle about a Universe where the Axis would have won the war. Solid. So far It feels like the sort of show that should have been on regular network, it doesn't have the sort of HBO/AMC/Netflix vibe. It seems made for a large public. Story-wise my take so far is that there may have been time-travel. The involvement of the Japanese is interesting, it's funny how these guys pretty much run the Western US, San Fransisco, etc...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I watched the first episode of Picard last night and I thought it was pretty good. On the other hand I fell asleep and slept good last night so maybe I should watch episode 2 tonight? :)

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
So I started watching Tiger King, 2 episodes in.

I don’t like anyone in it
except Shaq
Do I keep watching?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
The Chris Benoit episode of Vice's Dark Side of the Ring was real heavy.

I'm about to watch episode 2 on controversial hardcore wrestler New Jack.

Reactions: Bask
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad