OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I started Tiger King on Netflix... what on earth am I watching? But I can't stop. :laugh: Not even Jerry Springer could script something like this.
I don't even know what I'm watching...I'm uncomfortable, yet I can't turn away

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Watched what I believe is the final episode of Picard this season. No fooling, I think it's the best episode ever of the franchise. Would highly recommend catching up before watching it though.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished season 3 of Ozark, I loved it and I am looking forward to season 4, I am wondering if next season might be the end of the series?

I was just going to post the same thing. The closing scene was beautifully set up.

The performances were great, the three supporting characters who were front and center this season really delivered.

However, the most devious and strategic blows were all delivered by women, in my view and that added tremendously to the story.

Reactions: OldCraig71

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
They let Linney loose in S3. Damn, that was something to behold.

:bow:

P.S. S3 was as good as anything I've ever seen.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'm on a Japanese comedy binge. I think this kind of stuff with local talent would catch on here.

Gaki no Tsukai Live Stream

24/7 subtitled stream.

Of course, your milleage will vary depending of what's on there. The list is very varied. It goes from straight variety, to punishment games, to game shows, cooking shows, etc etc etc. Great window onto another culture.

Currently, some Jimmy Onishi is on there and that's always a winner. He's the subject of the Netflix series Jimmy and his character is basically that of a village idiot bumbling his way through situations.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I liked the series from the start. Picard and Discovery are both excellent in my book.

I have not watched either but from what I have heard from Trek fans, it has not been positive. In fact I have not heard one positive thing before reading your post. The consensus from Picard seems like all men are weak and that it condradict many Star Trek elements from the past. From that Universe or character-wise like for instance Picard has never liked children and here he seem to care for his progenity and the fact that he never cared for Data much but here they made it seem like they are buddies.

But the consensus seems to be that Trek fans don't like the pessimistic take on the future whereas Trek was always positive. Not to mention the cursing and violence.

There's guys I like very much RedletterMedia on You Tube it's a comedy seeing these guys wanting to kill themselves trying to review Picard. On the last video, they could not take it anymore. lol

All I know personally is that I didn't like the movie Star Trek: Into the Darkness and Alex Kurtzman was the same writer. Kurtzman is always a red herring for me, after the abomination that were the second Transformers movie, Amazing Spider-Man 2, the last Mummy flick, etc...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Watched what I believe is the final episode of Picard this season. No fooling, I think it's the best episode ever of the franchise. Would highly recommend catching up before watching it though.
Are you talking about all of Star Trek, or just Picard? I can think of at least 10 TNG's that are better. Many OS's lots of DS9's and that's not counting Enterprise, but I didn't really like that one. Discovery we won't even mention. :laugh:

Reactions: Fenris

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have not watched either but from what I have heard from Trek fans, it has not been positive. In fact I have not heard one positive thing before reading your post. The consensus from Picard seems like all men are weak and that it condradict many Star Trek elements from the past. From that Universe or character-wise like for instance Picard has never liked children and here he seem to care for his progenity and the fact that he never cared for Data much but here they made it seem like they are buddies.

But the consensus seems to be that Trek fans don't like the pessimistic take on the future whereas Trek was always positive. Not to mention the cursing and violence.

There's guys I like very much RedletterMedia on You Tube it's a comedy seeing these guys wanting to kill themselves trying to review Picard. On the last video, they could not take it anymore. lol

All I know personally is that I didn't like the movie Star Trek: Into the Darkness and Alex Kurtzman was the same writer. Kurtzman is always a red herring for me, after the abomination that were the second Transformers movie, Amazing Spider-Man 2, the last Mummy flick, etc...

I'm not sure where your getting the idea that Picard didn't care for Data. It's quite the opposite, actually. He advocated for him at the risk of his own standing on many occasions.

Picard was uncomfortable around children. But like all people and well written characters, he was able to change and adapt himself over time.

The whole series, in fact, illustrates the evolution of the man and his compassion for others, even non-humans.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Are you talking about all of Star Trek, or just Picard? I can think of at least 10 TNG's that are better. Many OS's lots of DS9's and that's not counting Enterprise, but I didn't really like that one. Discovery we won't even mention. :laugh:

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm comparing it to all series in the franchise.

I think that Picard is the strongest character among all the films and tv series. I like where the new series is written on the evolution of that character.

Reactions: Edgy and Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I'm comparing it to all series in the franchise.

I think that Picard is the strongest character among all the films and tv series. I like where the new series is written on the evolution of that character.
He certainly makes the series. I was a bit worried at the end, but all's well.

Reactions: groovejuice

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm not sure where your getting the idea that Picard didn't care for Data. It's quite the opposite, actually. He advocated for him at the risk of his own standing on many occasions.

He respected him but were not particularly close.

Picard was uncomfortable around children. But like all people and well written characters, he was able to change and adapt himself over time

But you can say that about everybody. If a character act out of character, the excuse can always be "well the character evolved". Is there even an int of Picard in this series or it's just basically Patrick Stewart.

Reactions: groovejuice

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can't think of another TV series (at least not immediately) that got better and better over its first 3 seasons.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I liked the series from the start. Picard and Discovery are both excellent in my book.

I am a big TNG fan but I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with Picard so far. I just completed the episode with Riker and Troi. Hopefully the finale is satisfying like you mentioned.

In a completely unrelated note, I just saw Bad Boys For Life. I liked it a lot. It was dumb of course, but definitely watchable and I laughed quite a bit. A couple of very shocking moments also for fans of the franchise.

Credits scene I could had done without but I saw it coming anyways.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LOL I kept saying damn! that guy looks just like KR! I thought that he was really good but I did feel that there was too much screen time invested in him because we all knew that his demise was imminent.

I liked how he gave every reason to accelerate his demise and how he had no notion of self-preservation or of how he was causing implosions in the lives of others. He was a disposable character for the season -- too flammable to even contemplate making it past this.

Almost tempted to start the whole series from scratch, and maybe appreciate that first season in a whole other light.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone have another suspense type series to recommend, that delivers like Ozark and that is available on HBO or Netflix?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I liked how he gave every reason to accelerate his demise and how he had no notion of self-preservation or of how he was causing implosions on the lives of others. He was a disposable character for the season -- too flammable to even contemplate making it past this.

Almost tempted to start the whole series from scratch, and maybe appreciate that first season in a whole other light.
Great minds think alike lol, Mrs. OC is going to watch seasons one and two and I am probably going to watch it with her, I felt a little bit of a disconnect between seasons two and three tbh and I think it might have been because of the extra time taken for season 3 to debut. If you remember, there was speculation that it was to debut last August if I am remembering correctly. Bateman was co-producing The Outsider and that probably was the reason for the delay. I want to go back, especially to rewatch season two, season one was definitely the most explosive though. I am thinking that season 4 might be the end, I would rather see it go out on a high note as opposed to trying to extra mileage out of things that aren't really vital to the story that I am interested in.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I am a big TNG fan but I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with Picard so far. I just completed the episode with Riker and Troi. Hopefully the finale is satisfying like you mentioned.

In a completely unrelated note, I just saw Bad Boys For Life. I liked it a lot. It was dumb of course, but definitely watchable and I laughed quite a bit. A couple of very shocking moments also for fans of the franchise.

Credits scene I could had done without but I saw it coming anyways.

I can understand why some people don't like Picard, as it deviates quite a bit from the Star Trek we all grew up on.

For my part, I love the path they're on with Picard who's always been fair and noble in the past, but in his old age is showing sensivity and tolerance that wasn't acceptable for a star ship captain. I also really like the new characters who are all very flawed and very interesting.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Ozark season 3: 7.5/10 Not as good of a show as it could be. The brother character was a big waste of time.

Onward:: 7.5/10 good animated movie

the outsider: 7/10 an average show outside of the first 2 episode and the last.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He respected him but were not particularly close.

But you can say that about everybody. If a character act out of character, the excuse can always be "well the character evolved". Is there even an int of Picard in this series or it's just basically Patrick Stewart.

It's still Picard. A gentler, more flexible one perhaps, but that's consistent with his departure from Star Fleet, his age and certain regrets he may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad