OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
No, it's not based on the film and it's not "loosely" based either. It's a direct sequel to the comic. Want to know how I know? In the movie, Ozy uses Manhattan's energy signature to make believe he's the one who nuked all major cities. In the comic book, Ozy creates a fake alien invasion which's pièce de résistance was a giant pseudo-alien squid in the middle of NY. Guess which ending is referenced in HBO's series?
I was debating watching the show but then saw it was getting really negative reception. I'm told it's really improved lately. What's your take?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#TheNightOf

Such a cliche. Poorly acted and written. The essential hasn't been portrayed. The prison experience has nothing to do with the main point.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Parasite is, so far, the best film of 2019. Highly recommended if anyone can catch a screening.

Impressive. Thanks for the recommendation.

How did you like that Gianni Morandi song playing in the early going? Favorite part: "Go clockwise."

Amazingly executed -- how destructive human nature can be on so many levels.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The Irishman

I'd rate it a meh/10.

Just didn't see Hoffa in Al Pacino. I just saw Pacino. Watching it, i just felt the story was about an old actor dealing with his mob connections.

Reactions: Edgy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Irishman

I'd rate it a meh/10.

Just didn't see Hoffa in Al Pacino. I just saw Pacino. Watching it, i just felt the story was about an old actor dealing with his mob connections.

I pulled an OC and fell asleep on it several times. Don't know when I'll feel bored enough to re-attempt it. The few times I was awake, noticed how they did a real lousy job with De Niro's face when they were trying to make him look younger for his retro scenes.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I've watched The Irishman three times. Really enjoy it and Pesce is outstanding. Not quite a classic, but excellent nevertheless.

They have a good, quick interview with the main actors on Netflix that is enjoyable as well

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I pulled an OC and fell asleep on it several times. Don't know when I'll feel bored enough to re-attempt it. The few times I was awake, noticed how they did a real lousy job with De Niro's face when they were trying to make him look younger for his retro scenes.

I also fell asleep a few times. Took me a few days to watch.
Another odd thing was the physical confrontations - outside convenience store, in prison- were in slo mo because the actors are so old.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Linda Ronstadt - The Sound of my voice.

Good docu bio on the singer's life. Tough girl and now with Parkinson's, no longer performs. If you're a fan, you'll love it; I did.
She's one of my all time favorite vocalists.

Reactions: peate

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It really got my attention once they started with Ozy's escape planning and attempts, and on Laurie Blake and hooded justice, those episodes have now hooked me. It's a bit slow though.

Yeah, I’m sticking through now and just got to the point where Oz wrote the letter to the game warden.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I watched the Irishman awhile ago and I liked it with one big exception. The effects they use to make these old men look younger are not good. I thought the same about the 2nd Guardians of the Galaxy with Kurt Russell as a young god even though it was less obvious since it was such a short sequence. De Niro, Keitel and Pesci were great but Pascino was a bit miscast as Hoffa.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rewatched Gone with the wind after many years of not having seen it. TCM featured it this week in honour of the film’s 80th anniversary this year.

They also had The Making Of on TCM — it cost $3 million (in 1930s dollars!) to produce and there were so many pitfalls and obstacles typical for a project of this magnitude but so fascinating and engrossing to learn of so much that went on behind the scenes.

It truly was the masterpiece of its day and some still refer to it as the greatest movie ever made. The fascination it generated in the US and around the world was something to behold.

Reactions: Kimota

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Rewatched Gone with the wind after many years of not having seen it. TCM featured it this week in honour of the film’s 80th anniversary this year.

They also had The Making Of on TCM — it cost $3 million (in 1930s dollars!) to produce and there were so many pitfalls and obstacles typical for a project of this magnitude but so fascinating and engrossing to learn of so much that went on behind the scenes.

It truly was the masterpiece of its day and some still refer to it as the greatest movie ever made. The fascination it generated in the US and around the world was something to behold.
When I hear about Gone with the wind I can't help but think of this:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Bill Burr in The Mandalorian... odd mix
I kinda liked him in that role. I don't watch his standup and didn't even recognize him at first so maybe it was a little less jarring for me. Didn't care much for the cat vampire lady though.

The episode caught some flak due to not moving the Yoda story line forward but I found it to be a really exciting episode regardless. It pretty much fell into all the tropes possible but it executed it almost perfectly. The red strobe hallway scenes were really well done.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
When I hear about Gone with the wind I can't help but think of this:

I watched Sound of Music 5 times and I hated it all the times, my mother bribed me to go with her since she would never go and watch a movie by herself (I don't think it was common in the 60s that women went alone to movie theatres) and dad only watched stuff like the The Guns of Navarone. I hate musicals in general and that film is ridiculous but she gave me cash so I went. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad